Steady as she goes...first 25k, DONE! (Read 830 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm too beat to pen my complete race report at the moment, but suffice it to say that I might be the most evenly paced runner at RA. The difference in pace between the first half of my race and second half split was only +2 seconds/mile. Eryn got ahead of me about 2 miles in, but we still crossed the finish line together...holding hands and with identical finishing times. We had joked for the past year that this is how we would finish, but after she left me in the dust so early on I settled into a pace I knew I could maintain for the distance (and still be able to push hard through the hills in the last half and a solid sprint across the finish) and enjoyed the remaining miles, only to kick it into high gear for the last mile or so. I was stunned to see her just a little ways ahead of me as I approached the finish line. I picked up my sprint and she slowed-down a bit and we ran the last 10 steps or so hand-in-hand. Cheesy, yes...but that's me. Someone from the Grand Rapids Press got our photo as we crossed and took down our info. as soon as we could talk. We might make it into the paper. If we do, I really want to buy either a copy of the digital file or a print to frame and hang on the wall. Today was the BEST. RACE. EVER! Tomorrow is Mother's Day buffet. I plan to put on every calorie I burned today--and then some. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

oh. that is WAAAAY cool! It may be cheesy but I'm a bit teary eyed over that! Blush WTG Kirsten, you did awesome...enjoy your celebration! Big grin Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

K- congrats to you and Eryn - I can't think of a better way to cross the finish line! If you guys make it into the paper - please post a pic or link so we can all see! I am so glad all your hard work paid off! Great job, guys!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Congratulations! Big grin Such a great way to end a race. Enjoy those hard earned calories on Mother's Day! I hope they print that picture, that would be cool to see.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WTG! Big grin Big grin Big grin Congrats! Glad you had such a good experience! Have fun at the buffet, but I think your work is cut out for you -- that's about 1600 calories you're lookin' at Sunday! Good job Kirsten and Eryn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope they print that picture, that would be cool to see.
              Me, too, but I don't see it in their online gallery of photos, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I'm going to go pick up a paper in a bit and I will still call and see if it's possible to get a copy of the photo. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It looks like you can order photos through the race website, so you might be able to get it that way. Be sure to post! Hey you two even managed to slip under 2:40! Nice job!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It looks like you can order photos through the race website, so you might be able to get it that way. Be sure to post!
                  Would those photos be from the GR Press, though? I'll have to go check. Brightroom did the regular race photos. Oh, and weirdness...the Press shows our times as a second faster than what the race site does. Not sure why that would be. On a related note, Eryn's placement was one ahead of me. How do they determine placement if 2 people have the identical time? In our case it's just funny and she can claim that she "beat me," but what if two people were either overall leaders or leaders for their age/gender? How is a winner determined in that event? k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Would those photos be from the GR Press, though? I'll have to go check. Brightroom did the regular race photos.
                    They are Brightroom pics.
                    what if two people were either overall leaders or leaders for their age/gender? How is a winner determined in that event?
                    I imagine the chip times are probably to the hundreth of a second even if they don't report that in the results. You should have leaned at the finish. Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I imagine the chip times are probably to the hundreth of a second even if they don't report that in the results. You should have leaned at the finish. Wink
                      That's kind of what we had guessed, too. Maybe her chipped foot crossed before my chipped foot. Dang. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Awesome, Zoomie! Definitely a good way to celebrate today - a great finish and Mother's Day.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Big grinCONGRATS!!!! Big grin Great race..... your consistency is impressive! Can you teach me how to do that?? How awesome that you and Eryn got to realize your dream/plan of crossing the finish line together... hopefully it will end up in the paper or on the paper's web site at least! How'd you feel at the end... like you could have run another 10 miles??Wink Congrats again and happy mother's day!
                          shyrunner07

applauding both you two! that's an awesome way to finish a race! Way to go!! Big grin
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

hopefully it will end up in the paper or on the paper's web site at least! How'd you feel at the end... like you could have run another 10 miles??Wink Congrats again and happy mother's day!
                              Thanks! I'm exhausted (woke-up earlier than I had wanted to...stuffy sinuses and achey-ness), but I am still on such a high from yesterday! I definitely finished the strongest I ever have for any race, so I'm certain that I could have pushed harder and cut a few minutes off of my finish time (the McMillan calculator predicted I would finish about 2.5 minutes faster than I did), but I was just feeling so relaxed and happy that I was enjoying the atmosphere and the beautiful day, rather than pushing myself too much. 3 weeks ago I ran that hilly 10 miler that had me gasping for breath and thisclose to barfing during the last few hundred yards. As this was my first time running this largest 25k in the US I wanted it to be a happy race, that way I will have something to look forward to in the coming year. I can't wait to blast my PR next year--my goal is to do it in under 2:30 next time around. I'm certain I can with consistent training, dropping at least 10#s, and getting my asthma and allergies a bit more under control that it won't be too tough to do that. Picked up the paper and looked at their site...no sign of our picture. I'm definitely going to call or e-mail to find out if there's any way to buy the shot. I want to frame it. k

~ Sarah Kay

25K, I need to get off my bum and do a 5K. Congratski! Jeffgoblue... funny profile picture dude!

Vim