Elipitical Trainers: Any point? (Read 2837 times)

jayskydee

Does any one use eliptical trainers and if so what different benfits do they get from then compared to biking and running as I have heard many people say they are half way between running and cycling, surely then it would just be better to do actual running or cycling?

xor

Correct.  If you want to improve your running, run more.  If you want to improve your cycling, cycle more.  Elliptical, like other forms of cross training, give you a way to work a certain set of systems in your body without stressing certain other systems in your body. Which is fine.  But not the same as running or biking.  When done properly, it is a good cardio workout.

DoppleBock

Eliptical is a low imact way to get aerobic training - If I can run I would run - If I am injured and want to keep up my fitness I find Eliptical transfers over to running OK.

If I were new to running and my body could not take 6 days a week of running - Say only 3 or 4 days - I would consider Eliptical on non-running days to keep building the aerobic engine.  I like to do it @ 180 strides per minute (90 one leg) or faster to work on turnover.

Does any one use eliptical trainers and if so what different benfits do they get from then compared to biking and running as I have heard many people say they are half way between running and cycling, surely then it would just be better to do actual running or cycling?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The only time I did the eliptical was last year when I was dealing with a knee injury that took me out of running for a month.  I did the eliptical to keep my up my cardio, but I hated every minute of it.

Imminent Catastrophe

Elliptical is good, mmmkay?

Good cross-training, it's pretty close to the mechanics of running, without the impact, and it's still weight-bearing, which is a good thing (unless you have a stress fracture). I've used the elliptical to train when I couldn't run due to injury and it kept me fit enough to run goal races. If you have one with an adjustable ramp, it's even better, you can get a good hill workout if you want. I do this with the ramp and resistance set really high for a great hill/power workout without the pounding. 

Bottom line: if you can't run, for whatever reason, elliptical is the next-best thing. And great cross-training to get a good workout without the impact on your legs.

If you are a runner, it's much better than cycling. If you are a triathlete, then ride the bike. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Elliptical trainers make my toes go numb after about 20 minutes.  Weird, right?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Elliptical trainers make my toes go numb after about 20 minutes.  Weird, right?

I thought it was weird that my entire foot goes numb.  I guess I'm not the only one to experience something similar.  Not sure why it happens.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Plus they're fabulous preparation for elliptical races.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

My toes also go numb.

I don't feel I can stay in running shape by using elliptical.  I have been forced to use it when injured.  It's better than nothing and IS a cardio workout.  Maybe it's because I can't usually stand to do it as long as I usually run.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

My toes also go numb.

I don't feel I can stay in running shape by using elliptical.  I have been forced to use it when injured.  It's better than nothing and IS a cardio workout.  Maybe it's because I can't usually stand to do it as long as I usually run.

When I've had to use the elliptical, to get a comparable running feeling I feel like I had to do considerably more time.

I think doing deep water running, if it's available to you, is a good alternative. It's extremely boring, but if you push yourself, it's a touch workout. 

I look my best blurry!

I kind of like the elliptical to work on turnover but I prefer a bike. If I'm injured and want to reduce impact I prefer running in deep water or the Alter G treadmill. I know that it isn't easy to have access to the Alter G and even a pool can be difficult. I really think the resistance of the water is great for strengthening.

Elliptical is good, mmmkay?

Good cross-training, it's pretty close to the mechanics of running, without the impact, and it's still weight-bearing, which is a good thing (unless you have a stress fracture). I've used the elliptical to train when I couldn't run due to injury and it kept me fit enough to run goal races. If you have one with an adjustable ramp, it's even better, you can get a good hill workout if you want. I do this with the ramp and resistance set really high for a great hill/power workout without the pounding. 

Bottom line: if you can't run, for whatever reason, elliptical is the next-best thing. And great cross-training to get a good workout without the impact on your legs.

If you are a runner, it's much better than cycling. If you are a triathlete, then ride the bike. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Plus they're fabulous preparation for elliptical races.

Might happen.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I rarely use the elliptical now, but I would not be a runner at all if I hadn't started on that machine.  After five months of regular elliptical workouts, I realized I might be able to run more than a block, and the rest is history.

I used an elliptical while recovering from knee surgery last spring and realized they can have great benefit in cross-training.  I run a lot of ultras on hilly/mountainous terrain, so cranking up the resistance and incline are great for strengthening the quads/glutes in a non-impact way.

kcam

I use the elliptical machine at least a couple of time per week.  I tend to run very low ramp setting and lower resistance level and do intervals of very high cadence (200-210strides per minute) alternated with higher resistance and lower cadence(170spm).  No pounding on the legs but I feel like I'm getting some leg turnover work in.  I don't know if it helps but I finish up sweating as much a I do when I run.  Of course running would be better but for me it's probably a good trade-off.