2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Resident Historian

Mark - Nice week, and you're likely to have a few more weekly mileage recorda on the way to a marathon. "Stretched the legs out a bit" on Saturday" indeed!
    Cal - After 9 weeks, your legs know they're going 12-17 miles at paces in the 8's "evety damn day". Gotta give them a recovery day when they do the same distance in the low 7's. 
    JHudak -- Well done on the 5k TT. That would be sub-20 with race competition.

darkwave - Good to hear the nerve thing is diagnosed and acted upon. Getting back to running is great -- as is finding a way to rebalance everything without a pool and massage.
    Hope VA goes with the mask standard I've seen elsewhere -- have one with you to use if you can't maintain 6' distance. 
    DPS - Great week with a even bigger ending. You're backing off a bit now?

40 & change miles for me. After several weeks of 4-6 mile daily runs and one slightly longer  I managed a better range of runs this week, three 3-3.5 mile recovery runs (some with strides), 2 x 6 mile, an 8, and 10.4 long today.

I'm at 40 mpw, no niggles, the Achilles is quiet, extra weight is coming off, I'm not chronically fatigued.
    Oh my, is it actually possible for me to get back to decent race shape? Maybe even before the races are ready? What have I overlooked?

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave - ...
      Hope VA goes with the mask standard I've seen elsewhere -- have one with you to use if you can't maintain 6' distance. 

Yup, I've been wearing a wide thin fabric headband when I run these past few months.  In a pinch it works as a mask - just pull it down and it snugly covers my nose and mouth down to under my chin.  I can't run with it worn that way, but if I need a mask in a pinch (unexpected crowd I have to walk near) it works for that.

Glad things are going well for you!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Guys. Guys!

There's a race next saturday.  Butte Meadows.  50k/100k/100M. Something called a 5kbeer5k. Extra precautions, but more than 6 people.  Like a couple hundred more.

It's happening!

11:11 3,000 (recent)

spam
          Running Problem

Problem Child

Looks like this thread isn't necessary anymore either.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

So now that is looks like most if not all large-scale races will follow Boston in canceling for the fall next question is what do we do in the meantime?  I'm still signed up for CIM in December, but imagine that will get called off eventually as well.  There is some chatter of our local running store having an event for the 4th of July with folks going off in waves.  Sounds like small to mid sized races are going to be our short-term future for the time being.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Going to grind out a less than full effort time trial on June 21st for the marathon. Hoping my smaller local marathon in late October gets held.  I'm in Minneapolis and things are pretty crappy right now. I'll keep the discussion out of here cause this should be about running but people can message me if they want to talk about it.  Could smell the burning plastic and who knows what on my run this morning....

We are safe and a few miles south of the main protests but with my wife 8 months pregnant and a 2 y.o. we are staying home.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

pepperjack

pie man

Bizz Johnson gonna be the most popular race of the year!

11:11 3,000 (recent)

From the Internet.

I picked a good year to get injured!

I'm just starting to get back into shape - still carrying some extra pounds but not worrying about that yet, it'll be free speed later on. I am gonna probably do some sort of fall marathon time trial. Boston cancellation was not remotely a surprise to me living in the area, I'm just glad they made a decision so we can all move on. There's no way we'll be ready to host an event of that size safely by September. Bonus points for a TT: I don't have to travel anywhere, can set up a little aid station on a loop course past my house, get ready, taper, and pick the day with the best weather. If I can PR in a time trial, I'll be in a great spot to grab something BIG when we do have races start up again, whenever that may be. By that time it's also possible that it'll be safe to have a couple friends come pace me for parts of it.

I've heard some race-substitute ideas being tossed around here, but tbh I'm not likely to pay money for what is essentially a time trial - I'd rather just bang it out on my own at that point. No complaints, I'm willing to be patient for a return to "real" racing in a year or two.

Coming up on my third week in a row at 40+ miles, have been doing an A workout (longer intervals or tempo), a B workout (fartlek or shorter/faster intervals w/ long recovery) and a shortish long run (~90 min or so). Cutback next week, tossing around the idea of a 2 mile road TT just to get a fitness check. Has been pretty easy to find new routes with few walkers out here in the 'burbs. Our statewide rule is cover face if 6' minimum is not possible, so I'm bringing a face covering with me but rarely having to use it, and even when I do it's more a virtue-signalling thing than a really NECESSARY thing (I'll pull it up and also cross the street/run out in the lane to stay more than 6' away as a courtesy). Easy days are starting to feel good at 5 miles again, 3 miles is back to feeling like an almost-rest day. My 300+ day streak died when my heel spur reared its ugly head, have been taking sporadic total rest days so I don't get caught up in forcing another streak to the detriment of my foot anatomy.

Resident Historian

So now that is looks like most if not all large-scale races will follow Boston in canceling for the fall next question is what do we do in the meantime?  I'm still signed up for CIM in December, but imagine that will get called off eventually as well.  There is some chatter of our local running store having an event for the 4th of July with folks going off in waves.  Sounds like small to mid sized races are going to be our short-term future for the time being.

I agree, I think some small races will go in the fall, maybe as early as September. But that may be whistllng in the dark. 

Since Boston registration will not start until late September, I'm considering a shot at a qualifier in September -- somewhere with decent weather. There are several candidates. 
                      To get in will likely need quite a bit larger margin than usual below the BQ time!

Lauren, sounds like we're about at the same stage. I just hit 40 mpw last week for the first time in... ages, and introduced structured speedwork just this week. When I establish the base and workouts a little more, I'll consider a TT for 5k or 10k.

Same mask rule in CA. I run a lot on the coast highway (wide paths and some trail). Most everyone has worked out the rules -- like "runner facing traffic moves right to crs or pass runner/walker, left to let bikes stay closest to the traffic." It's usually easy to maintain 6'+ spacing.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Running Problem

Problem Child

Everyone will expect races to cancel so attendance will drop. Races will still happen and the people who are afraid of contracting COVID 19 from running events won't show up and they realize going to the grocery store every week, or anywhere else in public gives them the same chance of catching COVID 19, or they'll stay home.

Either that or all major marathons will be canceled for the next 24 months because society labels them as unsafe due to the inevitability of catching COVID 19 which is a death sentence to everyone, OR marathons require you to run wearing a mask because those porous home made masks protect lives. No one is willing to hold an event because in today's society you'll be at fault because someone said you gave them a sickness and killed their 82 year old grandparent who has had cancer for the past 5 years.

If we can't have gatherings of 50 people or more how are you going to justify a marathon? Maybe my local marathon with 50 entrants, but definitely not any half marathons or 5ks. WAY Too many crowds at those things.

longboat Just make sure it isn't one of those mass produced 3M N95 masks with a ventilator. I hear those are outlawed in California ( maybe just SF) because those vents that make breathing while wearing one (and thus avoid the positive pressure that pushes the mask off your face each time you exhale) spread the corona virus.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The same criteria in the Boston thread apply here.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/ec4c808d47e045fdb66b4cf0679428c2#focus

Please limit your COVID discussions to this thread:

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/85ec992e8ca0452899208d37eb904d89#focus

Any COVID advice, analysis, commentary in this thread risks being removed or this thread being closed.

Be kind.

Either that or all major marathons will be canceled for the next 24 months because society labels them as unsafe due to the inevitability of catching COVID 19 which is a death sentence to everyone, OR marathons require you to run wearing a mask because those porous home made masks protect lives. No one is willing to hold an event because in today's society you'll be at fault because someone said you gave them a sickness and killed their 82 year old grandparent who has had cancer for the past 5 years.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The same criteria in the Boston thread apply here.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/ec4c808d47e045fdb66b4cf0679428c2#focus

Please limit your COVID discussions to this thread:

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/85ec992e8ca0452899208d37eb904d89#focus

Any COVID advice, analysis, commentary in this thread risks being removed or this thread being closed.

Be kind.

Hi Trent, just to clarify (so I don't inadvertently infringe) - do discussions of mask-wearing, potential future race cancellations, etc fall under the category of stuff-that-must-be-limited-to-the-one-thread.?

I'm thinking that it's a "it depends" type thing - discussions about whether one has to wear a mask in one's area, or how one is modifying one's training due to social distancing, lack of races, is OK.  But discussions about whether masks or race cancellations are necessary/dangerous/etc (and all the various junk one can point to on the internet in support of whatever one wants to argue) are skating on thin ice and need to go to the Covid 19 thread....

But that's my take, and I'm not a moderator.  Just a lawyer, which probably makes me a moderator's nightmare Smile

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good faith mentions of COVID here are fine if they relate to races and their cancellations. But any judgements or snark about whether COVID is a reason for cancelling races belongs in that other thread. I am taking a hard line on that here as the latter has spun out of control more than once here and people have gotten nasty and others uncomfortable. We want this to be a place where people ARE comfortable to discuss running-related content.

Any specific advice you can provide in public or as a DM as a lawyer is always welcome. We also want this to be a kind, welcoming place.

Hi Trent, just to clarify (so I don't inadvertently infringe) - do discussions of mask-wearing, potential future race cancellations, etc fall under the category of stuff-that-must-be-limited-to-the-one-thread.?

I'm thinking that it's a "it depends" type thing - discussions about whether one has to wear a mask in one's area, or how one is modifying one's training due to social distancing, lack of races, is OK.  But discussions about whether masks or race cancellations are necessary/dangerous/etc (and all the various junk one can point to on the internet in support of whatever one wants to argue) are skating on thin ice and need to go to the Covid 19 thread....

But that's my take, and I'm not a moderator.  Just a lawyer, which probably makes me a moderator's nightmare Smile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wow, you definitely need to take a chill pill.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)