Integration with Suunto's Movescount (Read 211 times)

Is there any way we can get RunningAHEAD to support the SML file format native to the Ambit3?

I have similar thoughts regarding integration of Polar Flow.

However I am thinking about an approach that might be worth trying.

I previously used Garmin GPS watches, so I have used Garmin Connect for a while, as I found out the account still work.  Therefore I might be able to use an app called syncmytracks ($3) to sync my Polar Flow tracks to Garmin Connect, which might then sync the data to Runningahead I am hoping.

Going to try this out and report back.

I wonder if Eric can contact with the owner of the APP to see if it is possible to have RunningAhead added to the list of supported services, which might be easier than to support all the various services one by one at RunningAhead.

Hi,

I've read elsewhere in the forum that you are currently in the process of integrating runningahead with Garmin Connect, so that Garmin users can sync their Garmin Connect account directly with Runningahead via the new Garmin API. That's awesome!

However I'm a Suunto Ambit2 user... I was wondering whether it's in the future plans to provide a similar integration with Suunto's Movescount website. I don't know how Suunto works (whether they charge something like the 5K that Garmin charges), but they currently have integration with quite a few third party apps, such as Strava, TrainingPeaks, MapMyFitness, Rubitrack, etc. It would be really awesome if Runningahead was added to this list! I've been using Runningahead as my main running log for years, and I love it!

Thanks a lot,

Vincent

mp5f

I haven't found any real details, but it looks like syncmytracks uses the approach of faking a web client (like tapiriik).  While this approach can work well at times, it is brittle because web sites change.  It is possible that these tools go against the terms of service for the various sites.  If so and they get popular enough, then they could be shut down.

Suunto customer service told me that they plan to release a developer API later this year.  However, it won't support automatic push notification (as is used for Garmin->RA or Garmin/Suunto/etc->Strava).  That would take custom work on their end.  I don't know anything about Polar support.

(To be clear, I don't know what Eric's plans are here.  I'm just another Suunto user.)

Mark

I just started to use this App called SyncMyTracks (cost $3) to sync my activities from Polar Flow to Garnin Connect and as I have Garmin Connect enabled in RunningAhead, the activites are then synced to RunningAhead by Garmin Connect.

So this does work, I would think it should work with Suunto since the app support Suunto as well.  To me the $3 spent is well worth it, saving me time on manually exporting from Polar Flow then importing to RunningAhead.

I have similar thoughts regarding integration of Polar Flow.

However I am thinking about an approach that might be worth trying.

I previously used Garmin GPS watches, so I have used Garmin Connect for a while, as I found out the account still work.  Therefore I might be able to use an app called syncmytracks ($3) to sync my Polar Flow tracks to Garmin Connect, which might then sync the data to Runningahead I am hoping.

Going to try this out and report back.

I wonder if Eric can contact with the owner of the APP to see if it is possible to have RunningAhead added to the list of supported services, which might be easier than to support all the various services one by one at RunningAhead.

vincentbouchard

Thanks for pointing to this app! I just installed it and started syncing my Suunto Movescount account with Garmin Connect. Then I'll be able to sync directly to runningahead! It seems to work! :-)

Is syncmytracks only for Android or can I use it on iPhone or a computer?

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

It isn't in the app store for iPhone but I did find RunGap, a free app which should do the same thing.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Thanks much, it was still helpful.  I did make the change, and went back to REI to exchange my Gsrmin Fenix 3 for a Suunto Ambit3 Peak.  So far, so good.  I really like it and am very happy with a much more predictable and accurate GPS.

Haha, I had ordered the Fenix 3 from REI yesterday and after reading (perhaps too much) online (including side by side repeat comparisons) cancelled the order and now have an Ambit3 Peak on the way. I found this thread while searching for best way to get that data into RA once the watch arrives.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

[...]

1) Upload to Movescount from your watch.

2) Export your workout from movescount (I export as .fit [...]

3) Import the file to runningahead.

Yes it's not very complicated. But Suunto has had integration with many other websites for a while now (for instance with Strava; as soon as my workouts are uploaded to Movescount they are automatically added to Strava). It'd be great to have something similar with Runningahead! :-)

This is great. Thank you (and to eric Smile for explaining why gpx is the devil).

Looking forward to trying out new watch when it arrives next week AND getting that data into RA.

I would also be happy if Movescount was added to RA the way Garmin Connect is.
                    I'm sure there are technical and financial barriers to entry, so I'm also happy to have the info in this thread (fit vs gpx, etc).