running magazines (Read 1814 times)

Big Daddy

Any suggestions for a good running magazine or newsletter subscription?  Kinda tired of all the recycled articles in the prominent magazines.  Besides forums, what do you like to read?

2013 Goal: Avoid Injury, drop 15 lbs

+1

Haven't read it in years. Found this interesting little story that I hadn't read.

Get off my porch

drrbradford

Athletics Weekly. UK-centric.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/

Imminent Catastrophe

If you run ultras, there's:

Even though the cover is obviously a model, shot in a studio.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ilp

I've been enjoying a great deal of quality articles in Running Times, but that might be in your bucket of prominent magazines.

Hoban-Jay

Marathon And Beyond...without question.  A far and distant second place finish is Trail Runner.  No others even place.  (No definitely NOT Runner's World or Runner's World Lite...errrr I main Running Times.)

Big Daddy

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check out the Marathon & Beyond website, but their subscriptions are a bit pricey for me ($6/issue, yikes!)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

M&B is every-other-month, so it is $36 per year.  Each issue is like a book, and usually takes me 2 months to get through.  It is highly underpriced, a tremendous value.  They will sell you single issues, if you want to check it out.

Big Daddy

Thanks for the additional info Trent.  I'll check it out again.

zonykel

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check out the Marathon & Beyond website, but their subscriptions are a bit pricey for me ($6/issue, yikes!)

Check their back issues. It's not as though they're reporting news.

IMO, Running Times has a decent number of articles on running, but they are not very long. On the other hand, Marathon and Beyond articles are typically lengthier. Some are on running, and others are just stories about runners. It really depends on what you're looking for. And if you're an ultra runner, then M&B is definitely for you.

Tyler S

Running Times is the best without question. If you care about current running from high school to masters it's a great read. It actually says how to become better at running, the opposite of runner's world.

xor

RT was the first magazine I dropped.  It is too thin for the price, especially since I don't follow HS and college running.

Trail Runner was next.  Also thin for the price, the pics aren't very good, and they really reach for subject matter.

I still get RW because they re-upped my subscription when I wasn't paying attention. I don't read it much.  In addition to all the common complaints, I find that their features are often slanted to show the issues and problems with a person.  Perhaps in an attempt to generate sympathy and drama?  I dunno.  Individually, these features can be good... but the pattern bothers me.  Tera Moody - can't sleep.  Gerry Lindgren - nuts.  Scott Jurek - burned out. Frank Shorter - abused.  Individually, good stories.  But now I can't open the feature without trying to preguess "what's wrong".  Of course sometimes that's in the title.  TERA MOODY CANT SLEEP.  Ok then.

I haven't read M&B in the past year either.  I should but, eh.

Ultrarunning - fantastic pictures!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Running Times is the best without question. If you care about current running from high school to masters it's a great read. It actually says how to become better at running, the opposite of runner's world.

Save your issues for 3 years. You will begin to see the re-runs( Two and a Half Men).Same script.Different name.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

MrH

The competitive runners in our family like Running Times.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.