2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry CK - I really thought anything over about 40 seconds would have been safe. But that was not based on anything. Maybe try some fast long runs? Ha! Too soon?

I think he has one scheduled for about 13 miles coming up.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mattw4jc

So for CIM I'll need a 3:02:00....which has a 3 and a 20 in it so I can stay here.

I recommend aiming for 5 minutes under so as to avoid being a squeaker who was sweating it all week long. Easier said than done, of course.  But if you do it, then you will graduate to the next thread.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Sorry CK - I really thought anything over about 40 seconds would have been safe. But that was not based on anything. Maybe try some fast long runs? Ha! Too soon?

Ha! That's a good one. And Brew is right, I do have a fast LR coming up...

I had actually resigned myself to thinking I wasn't going to make it with just 47 seconds as a buffer, so it's not much of a shock. Had I run 1:38 faster than my BQ time that might well be a different story.

I suppose as an upside I can start to plan my entire 2020 running year now.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Wing

Joggaholic

CK: TM is mainly a schedule/convenience thing. I run in the company gym in the morning before work, nearby roads with maniac drivers are kind of hazardous for running, and it's harder to squeeze out a time slot after work once I get home. I usually don't set inclines on the TM. When I see hill repeats on the schedule I just run the "rolling hills" program on the TM as a substitute. Morning TM is also my Netflix time, it helps keep my easy runs easy.

ALL: I appreciate all of your feedback. I see that the consensus is to slow down on the LR. I have never tried running my LRs this fast on consecutive weekends before so I'm kind of relieved that it isn't the standard procedure. (I've trained for marathons before but had done them haphazardly without following a "real" program)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I recommend aiming for 5 minutes under so as to avoid being a squeaker who was sweating it all week long. Easier said than done, of course.  But if you do it, then you will graduate to the next thread.

Sub 3, PR AND a BQ-5 all in one marathon. Second PR of the year for the distance too. I believe this can be found in the dictionary under "checkers or wreckers."

At least I could stop saying how much of an advantage that major downhill course gave me. I mean...18th place in the M 34-39 age group missed getting into Boston 2020 by 2 seconds so it's obviously a big advantage.

keen plus you have an actual goal to set. Sub 3.

Wing you could add more miles at marathon pace for your Thursday workouts if you wanted to, or the coach thought it was a good idea. I'd also recommend doing the treadmill runs with at least a 1% incline. It's been said no road will be as flat as a treadmill and I'm sure that applies to Dallas just as much as it did "pancake flat" Chicago.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

mattw4jc

Sub 3, PR AND a BQ-5 all in one marathon. Second PR of the year for the distance too. I believe this can be found in the dictionary under "checkers or wreckers."

You don't have to get all that ambitious. Just aim for one and it is less intimidating. :P

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

This nicely sums up the goal(s) for my next marathon, given that they're all the same for me. Dallas is looking more and more appealing.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

You don't have to get all that ambitious. Just aim for one and it is less intimidating. :P

See my signature for the current goal.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sub 3, PR AND a BQ-5 all in one marathon.

BOTT.

That is all.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

BOTT.

That is all.

Is that Easy Coast speak for checkers or wreckers?

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Is that Easy Coast speak for checkers or wreckers?

Since I'm in between the coasts, I think I can serve an an intermediary dictionary. So, yes. 

Upcoming Races:

OMR

Wing:  Welcome.  I don't have the chance to post here much as of late, but I saw your training plan, which I know has been criticized by others already.  Anyhow, I thought I would add my own personal experience here, as just one more data point.  When I made my final attempt at a sub-3 marathon, my last long run, at the end of a 90-mile week, was 20 miles @ 7:51.

The notion that you are going to run 10 miles at marathon pace 7 days before the marathon is ludicrous.  To me, that one run negates all of it...and there are so many things about the rest of it that go against all of what I have learned about myself along my own running journey.  But at the same time, we are all an experiment of one.

Simply put, if you are constantly struggling, you are running too fast.  You should leave workouts with a mix of feeling good about accomplishing the goal but also tired from the effort.  IMHO, when you find that balance, you are on the right track.  But...finding that balance is hard...

kcam

Wing:  Welcome.  I don't have the chance to post here much as of late, but I saw your training plan, which I know has been criticized by others already.  Anyhow, I thought I would add my own personal experience here, as just one more data point.  When I made my final attempt at a sub-3 marathon, my last long run, at the end of a 90-mile week, was 20 miles @ 7:51.

The notion that you are going to run 10 miles at marathon pace 7 days before the marathon is ludicrous.  To me, that one run negates all of it...and there are so many things about the rest of it that go against all of what I have learned about myself along my own running journey.  But at the same time, we are all an experiment of one.

Simply put, if you are constantly struggling, you are running too fast.  You should leave workouts with a mix of feeling good about accomplishing the goal but also tired from the effort.  IMHO, when you find that balance, you are on the right track.  But...finding that balance is hard...

Well said.  I might add that I personally would never consider doing all that training without two or three judiciously chosen races along the way.  These would sub for a workout that week.  I'd try to schedule them on a Saturday and then still go out and hit that LR on Sunday, but at a slower pace.  Anyway, good luck Wing, wishing you the best!

pepperjack

pie man

I ran 25 miles last week!

I’ve run 0 so far this week!

It’s nice to realize on some level that I would have had to run a 1:32 second half at Santa Rosa to make the big race. And basically PR.

Did I miss all the Kamworor talk?  Oh, right, world records being broken are so common they don’t warrant mention anymore.   Thanks nike.

Still running some insane trail thing with max next month.  Going to enjoy that very much.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

PJ: we are currently tied for weekly mile this week!

Wing: Welcome!  I agree with the general sentiment that it seems you're working too hard on the long runs. As OMR stated, it's fairly individual, but there are some steady truths I see played out in just about everyone. I would incorporate plenty of easy miles on your long run with some quality work at MP or faster. Just for example, during marathon training, I gradually increase my long run with the last 3-8 miles at MP or faster. This has worked well for me so far. Interestingly, the most miles consecutive MP or faster miles I've ran in training before a marathon is 8 (not including racing a HM). I'm not sure you need all those LR miles at race pace.

CK: I'm bummed you won't be in Boston this year. I need to meet more of my imaginary friends!

I was very excited to get the acceptance email! I already have my flights and airbnb rented and ready to go. I guess I'll have to get back to running now.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)