Ran My 1st 5K (Read 643 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

Ran the Wet-Nose 5K in Cordova, TN this morning to benefit Guardian Angle Pet Rescue. It was a good race to start with. The field was very small, maybe 150-175 runners, and all levels of fitness were represented. I finished in 39:09 which I'm happy with as my goal was to finish in less than 40:00. I came in 123, but don't have any other results re: age groups, etc. Not too shabby for someone who starting running in mid-August. Now, time to start training for my next race - a 4 mile on Thanksgiving morning. Smile Robin

Robin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WTG, Robin--and what a fantastic cause! Were people able to run with their pets at all? That would have been an extra fun element. I wish we had races around here for Thanksgiving--I might just have to push myself out the door that day of my own accord...lord knows I'll need someone to ROLL me out the door later in the day! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

Runners couldn't race with their dogs, but there was a 1 mile Dog Walk for folks who wanted to participate with their dogs.

Robin

Congratulations and well-done! How was the race? Did it meet your expectations? Have fun? What was the course like? Would you run this one again? Inquiring minds want to know. Good luck at your next race!
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats, Robin! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

My dogs are fast, not me

Congratulations and well-done! How was the race? Did it meet your expectations? Have fun? What was the course like? Would you run this one again? Inquiring minds want to know. Good luck at your next race!
              For the inquiring minds Smile .... The race was fun. There was a nice party atmosphere with a local radio station broadcasting live, adoptable dogs, pet vendors and lots of spectators. I printed out the route and ran it two weeks prior to the race so I was familiar with it. I didn't want any surprises and wanted the mental security of knowing I could do this run. It looped through a neighborhood around a park with the last half mile in the park. It was hilly - one about a half mile in that felt straight up! and at mile two, the street we were on was gently upward sloping for about a half mile. The best part was at the end when runners who had finished were cheering on the people still coming in. As a beginning runner, this is a good baseline for me to build from. I will run it again next year and I'm looking forward to seeing how I can improve from now to then.

Robin

JakeKnight

Congrats! The little races are strangely fun, aren't they? By next year, your time will be sub-30:00, I bet.
                Now, time to start training for my next race - a 4 mile on Thanksgiving morning. Smile Robin
                I'm a huge fan of Thanksgiving morning races. Nothing like doing a hard 10-K race that morning ... it feels great later when you're stuffing your face with beer and turkey and watching football ... In fact, I'm a huge fan of running races on all the major holidays that later involve beer and sloth. Memorial day and Labor day are great race days, too. By the way, I have no idea where Cordova, TN is ... but if you're anywhere near Nashville, we have a whole slew of Thanksgiving day runs around here.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

My dogs are fast, not me

Jake, Cordova is an unicorporated town in Shelby County, just east of Memphis. Parts of Cordova are actually in Memphis although our house is still in the county and hasn't been annexed, yet.

Robin