Calling all non-dairy vegetarians! (Read 1089 times)

Hopefully amongst this group there are one or two of you...I don't know if Claire does dairy or not!? Just have a question. My cooking's taken a turn since not only does my son have peanut/nut/egg/slight milk allergies, but now hubby and I are lactose intolerant. I've been doing really well, but you don't realize how many recipes call for cheese until you can't use it!! I've basically just stopped making recipes that call for a lot of it. I use the soy cheese here and there, but wondering if/what you do when you want to cook something like lasagna? I just can't see substituting the soy cheese in this type of dish; don't think it'd be good. Does anyone have any type of substitue that they used and like that would work well in those dishes that require larger amounts of cheese? (I know what you're thinking Kirsten! You'd *DIE*!! LOL)
      Joni, there are a bunch of great vegan cookbooks out there that might help you. A friend of mine used to make a mean vegan lasagna (we've had a falling out, otherwise, I'd get you the recipe), but instead of the ricotta cheese, he used tofu mashed with garlic and some other things. It was SO good. I bet there are some great websites out there with some excellent vegan recipes to help you out. Good luck!
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Rice Milk. What types of recipes call for cheese? In many cases, you can probably totally omit it.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(I know what you're thinking Kirsten! You'd *DIE*!! LOL)
          I would...I'm like a walking Dairy Queen! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I would...I'm like a walking Dairy Queen!
            mmmm...Dairy Queen... (still looking for that drool emoticon)

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

We use a Soya Kaas Cheese. It's made with Tofu and soy. Looks just like cheese.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Joni, there are a bunch of great vegan cookbooks out there that might help you. A friend of mine used to make a mean vegan lasagna (we've had a falling out, otherwise, I'd get you the recipe), but instead of the ricotta cheese, he used tofu mashed with garlic and some other things. It was SO good. I bet there are some great websites out there with some excellent vegan recipes to help you out. Good luck!
                Thanks Megan! Good to know there's hope! When I start using the soy cheese in bigger quantities it gets yucky! Trent, usually it's the Mexican and Italian recipes that I stumble on. I eliminate cheese A LOT in recipes, but those usually require bigger quatities like 1, 2 cups or more. Hubby says that's *one* good thing about this recent lactose intolerance that we both have going- stopped eating so much cheese, but I miss making my old recipes. I used to make some mean Italian dishes!! Smile
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All the Italian and Mexican dishes I cook / eat could be made without cheese. Even things like pizza. Give it a shot. Also, a lot of lactose intolerant folks CAN have cheese and yogurt (which have had the lactose fermented away) or do well with lactaid tablets.
                    my son have peanut/nut/egg/slight milk allergies I could not imagine not being able to eat JIF Peanut Butter... it's one of the high points of life! No Diary? Do you eat any beans outside of soy? Just to mix a little meat in.... I just had horse last week... yum... nice and lean. Why I cannot get it here locally is crazy. They pushed slaughter them here out awhile back... why?

Vim

Also, a lot of lactose intolerant folks CAN have cheese and yogurt (which have had the lactose fermented away) or do well with lactaid tablets.
                      Yeah, we've discovered we can eat small amounts of things that contain dairy, like yogurt (w/live cultures), or certain longer aged/lower lactose cheeses (hubby eats blue w/no problem at all). I've sort of given up being too experimental though...well, I'll spare the TMI part, but trust me. It's not worth going through if you're not *sure* you'll be ok! Tongue I think I'm just more sensitive than my husband! Lactaid pills usually work, but for me (not hubby) when I get into larger amounts of dairy, they don't. Funny you said to experiment w/o cheese even for those types of recipes. My husb said the other night we should just make a pizza w/o it too. I guess I've been so "stuck" in "traditional" cooking, that that wasn't at the front of my mind. We'll give 'er a whirl and see how it goes.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There are actually a lot of traditional pizzas that have no cheese on them. Domino's does not deliver them, but you can find them all over Italy or New York. In Mexico, cheese is not commonly used. The use of a lot of cheese tends not to be traditional to the indiginous cultures, but rather an added ingredient once these things came into our culture.
                          my son have peanut/nut/egg/slight milk allergies I could not imagine not being able to eat JIF Peanut Butter... it's one of the high points of life! No Diary? Do you eat any beans outside of soy? Just to mix a little meat in.... I just had horse last week... yum... nice and lean. Why I cannot get it here locally is crazy. They pushed slaughter them here out awhile back... why?
                          LOL! Jif used to be our fav too! We couldn't imagine life w/o it. Fortunately, WE don't have to go w/o it, just my son. But now I pretty much eat soy butter with him. They even make it in chocolate...kid's dream! It's good stuff! We recently discovered this MaraNatha peanut butter that knocked our socks off! Found it at Sam's Club of all places!! We bought it to try a non-hydrogenated p.b. . Tried it and we LOVE it! Yes, we eat beans galore! My MIL cracked me up the other day when she asked if we used black beans ever. When I said yes, she looked shocked and said, "REally? What do you use them for!?" like it was weird. Ha! Never tried horse. That I know of! Big grin Eating and horse together just don't sound good...but then again, I've had buffalo burgers and gobbled them up before! Sometimes if you don't know what you're eating, all the better!
                            I am in exactly the same place you are- I am a vegetarian and I avoid cheese/dairy, both because I am also lactose intolerant and also because I absolutely hate cheese, especially the melted kind. I typically just eliminate the cheese from a recipe. I always have though, as I don't like it. I put a meer sprinkling of parmesan on eggplant parm, and I am still often told it's the best most people have ever had. For lasagne, I usually make a spinach one and substitute tofu for the cheese. The spinach helps, I think, to give that ooey-gooeyness that people expect from lasagne. I just have never eaten a burrito with cheese, but I do have a great spinach artichoke dip that has no cheese in it at all (some yogurt, some tofu). And as for pizza, I have only ever ordered it without cheese and I have never come across a place that wouldn't do it. I typically get the extra veggie thin crust, no cheese. But you can do a lot with pizza by putting other sauces on it.
                            muse_runner

keep running.

I would...I'm like a walking Dairy Queen! Big grin k
                              yeah. thinking of a new t-shirt: Will run for pizza, wine, and ice cream... any takers?
                              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

yeah. thinking of a new t-shirt: Will run for pizza, wine, and ice cream... any takers?
                                I'd wear that. I know backroadrunner would, too. I don't think we're alone, by any means.... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay