I want to run with my wife!!! (modified subject) (Read 1332 times)

I want to run with my husband! I've read a lot of posts in this thread about men trying to get their wives out the door. What about the women trying to motivate the men? My husband has always supported my running (5 marathons, can't count the halves, 10ks, 15ks, and 5ks). But whenever I ask to run it's always a "no". I've even tried asking him to just go to the gym with me. He used to be really into working out (he did the elliptical and lifted weights), but all of the sudden he's lost all motivation. He did go through a running phase for about a year, and was even successful, he finished a whole half in under 2hrs. We'd go to the gym together and run on treadmills side by side. And, it isn't that he's gaining weight, he's losing it! (geez if women had this problem!) I try to cook as much as I can (we both work about 70hrs a week), but when I don't cook he'll run to BK, McDonalds, or Taco Bell. I worry about his overall health. Any tips for motivating him without being a nag? I know we need to work less, but it's just not possible at this point in our lives. How do I help him become motivated even through tough times? I've tried just letting him watch me see how much fun I'm having, but I really feel as if it only puts our relationship at different poles. Help!
      Jenn: Boy, that would be a tough one... I think you're up against "testesteron". It's a real weakness us men have when it comes to long distance running... It seems to me, and I could very well be wrong on this one, the issue is that you had become a good runner. Husbands (and I'm not saying this is it with your husband) have to be faster and stronger than wives. And basically when it comes down to "running together", they wouldn't consider anything like "history of experience" or "background of training". When you and he get to the starting line and you two take off; he would have to be ahead of you...but it seems like he can't any more. This young lady I'm coaching...her boyfriend used to run XC at school. When we started working together, he used to come out and ran 5k or so together. He was pretty decent 5k runner without much training at all. When she wanted to run a marathon, he was also training for one because he wanted to run one (her Chicago and him Twin Cities). At first, I thought it would be good that she could run with him when I can't...and it was like that for a while. A month before the marathon, we all ran a 25k race. She left him behind after the first mile and never looked back. Well, looking back, maybe I should have gotten a little more involved and helped him out with his training--I only gave some advice through her. That really wasn't a good idea either. Anyways, his training went down south and he hurt his knee and he ended up not even starting. I remeber her telling me afterwards that they went to the club together and, as they started running, he would sprint out front and she was thinking, "You're going to hurt your knee again..." Then it sort of dawned on me. I don't think they run together any more (if not just rarely). It is actually a bit of a concern to me. The gap would only widen if he doesn't just swallow some silly pride and get up and do something; it would be very difficult for him to join her any more (she's only getting faster!). Coaching involves dealing with REAL people. It is amazing how many people, even coaches, don't even think about this; but you need to understand certain psychology as well as training. Again, I'm not saying your husband is this case; but, assuming, coming from a man and husband whose wife has beaten me a few times (;o)), my suggestion is to pick a sport that you're not that good at and he's good at. Get him up and do that and swallow YOUR pride and let him beat you comfortably....but discretely! Cross country skiing, or downhill skiing, tennis, one-on-one basketball... Whatever. Most probably, he needs to feel good about doing a physical activity with you; and do it better than you; so he would get up and do something--otherwise, the gap would only widen. On the other hand, a part of me was thinking about saying, "Just run naked ahead of him (so he would chase you)!" as a joke but that's so no-class so I won't (;o))...