New Garmin Gear Recommendation (Read 107 times)

MrMESherrod

Hi!  I'm new to the forum and new to distance running.  I've been using a Vivoactive 3 Music for several years now, and in general I'm happy with it.  However, I've started training to be able to run a marathon.  My current watch doesn't allow for GPS sync / directions and I'm looking for a low price-point Garmin that does.  I don't need all the functionality of the Forerunner 945, so is there an earlier model that will help me?  TIA

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Congratulations on your running! If you are on a laptop or desktop, try searching the numerous older threads about GPS watches here. DC Rainmaker has great info, but can be overwhelming.

After years using Garmin and now defunct TomTom watches, my hubs and I both ended up with Coros. Cheaper, longer battery life, love them. Happy researching!

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
      5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Marky_Mark_17

Nice!!  If you like Garmin, then a simpler version would be the FR55 or FR245.  I used the FR235 (an earlier version of the 245) for a number of years and really liked it.  Good luck with the marathon training.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

My current watch doesn't allow for GPS sync / directions and I'm looking for a low price-point Garmin that does. 

If you mean turn by turn navigation, then I believe the lowest-end model that does that is the 245.

Dave

I'll put a plug in for the FR 245.....been using mine for the last 2+ years and it is my best Garmin yet.  I don't need the price and features of the 945.  I just saw that Garmin now came out with the 255......which has the standard and now a solar version.  I don't listen to music when I run and I know my 245 has one model variation that plays music versus one that doesn't.........music version is more expensive.  I just read the DC Rainmaker review of the 255 which is, as always, as thorough of a review as you will find.

DC Rainmaker Garmin 255 Review Link  ..........June 1, 2022

DC Rainmaker Garmin 245 Review Link  ..........From April 2019

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Reviving this thread for the holiday season, and a specific gift question. What watch do you all suggest?

Young adult runner wants a GPS watch that can play music via bluetooth earbuds.

Wrist hrm a plus, but not mandatory.

Wants to wear as a daily watch, too.

Works on a farm, so music feature is for that. Does not want to use phone for music.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
              5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I just upgraded to the Forerunner 255 from the Forerunner 45. I was always satisfied with the 45 and was a bit skeptical that the significant jump in price would be worth it. It has significantly more features and customization, so much that I am a little overwhelmed going into day 4. The GPS with the multi-band is extremely consistent and I see no zig-zags or cut corners when zooming in really close on the map. All the stuff about HRV and Pulse OX is a bit above my head right now but the assessment of the quality of my training runs and adaptive training suggestions seem like it will be a nice feature.

I just starting trying out the PacePro feature but I don't know if I will trust it enough yet for my marathon in 10 days compared to the printed pace band on my wrist. The turn by turn directions were a bit annoying just running around my neighborhood. I will need to have at least another month before I can figure out everything.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Jembo

link spam added to quoted
                  LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The Vivoactive 4 is something to consider. It has plenty of running features - HR, pulseox, etc., but it's more focused on being your all-day smartwatch.  I like the text, phone, and email notifications, and Garmin Pay.  I don't know if the Forerunner supports those.  Also, the Vivoactive has a more classy appearance, IMO.

an amazing likeness

Reviving this thread for the holiday season, and a specific gift question. What watch do you all suggest?

Young adult runner wants a GPS watch that can play music via bluetooth earbuds.

Wrist hrm a plus, but not mandatory.

Wants to wear as a daily watch, too.

Works on a farm, so music feature is for that. Does not want to use phone for music.

Your list pretty much is a description of the Garmin Forerunner 245M (previous generation) or 255M (current gen).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.