I'm cold (Read 833 times)

Gig

Tonight I ran in 40 degrees F. I wore shorts, a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, and a singlet over that. Perfectly comfortable for 5 miles. After being home for about 15 minutes, I got cold. It's several hours later, and I'm still wearing my winter coat. This doesn't happen all the time, but this is the third time in about two weeks. Any thoughts as to why?
    Len

Damn Yankee

I went through that the other day. Ran in some cold, rainy weather. I felt fine during the run, but was freezing the rest of the night. Don't have a clue why.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Another Passion

Heh... I was the SAME way yesterday afternoon! It wasn't horribly cold on my run (35 F), but when I got home, I just couldn't get warm. I think my problem was I was sittin' around in my sweaty clothes for too long though.

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

dougnl

A lot of times I get a chill if I don't change/shower directly after I run.

What temperature do you keep your house at? My wife and I keep our house at around 50 degrees, although sometimes in the evening we'll put it up to 58 degrees or so. If I'm cold, it's usually because the heat is off...

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

CherryDG

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Since then I've made it a point to get out of my sweaty clothes and sports bra and into something dry while I continue to stretch. A cup of hot chocolate or coffee also seemed to help.
                My wife and I keep our house at around 50 degrees, although sometimes in the evening we'll put it up to 58 degrees or so.
                Ebeneezer Scrooge thinks that's too cold. 50 degrees? Hmmm, maybe that's Celenheidt or some other temperature that I've never heard of but I keep my house between 67-68 F.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Tonight I ran in 40 degrees F. I wore shorts, a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, and a singlet over that. Perfectly comfortable for 5 miles. After being home for about 15 minutes, I got cold. It's several hours later, and I'm still wearing my winter coat. This doesn't happen all the time, but this is the third time in about two weeks. Any thoughts as to why?
                  I don't wear shorts in 40 degree weather as I get pretty cold (tights, thin wicking long sleeve with a windproff soft shell over that), but after the first 10-15" of my runs I'm completely comfortable and not cold at all. After I get in, though, if I don't hop right in the warm shower, then I'm cold several hours later too. Funny that you post this, at least I know it's not just me.

Ebeneezer Scrooge thinks that's too cold. 50 degrees? Hmmm, maybe that's Celenheidt or some other temperature that I've never heard of but I keep my house between 67-68 F.
                    My wife and I put on sweaters and use blankets and a cat to keep warm. Oil prices are out of control, and since she quit her job a week after got married to go to law school (and we've been single income since then) we try not to waste money when we don't have to.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Are you eating enough fat? It can make a significant difference to your cold tolerance. Running a calories deficit will make you feel cold as your body conserves energy. You want slow-burning fat, as opposed to high-glycemic foods that just burn up quickly. If you look at traditional diets throughout the world, the colder the climate, the more fat people ate.
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      Gig

Are you eating enough fat?
                        Good question. I'm vegetarian, so possibly not. I eat eggs several times a week, plenty of cheese, and I always make sure to get all the chocolate my body requires. Still, it's possible I'm a bit short on fat. I'll pay attention to that for a week or two. Regardless, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

...And I do.

My totally unscientific explanation. When you run, the blood is pumping through your body to your extremeties. Your core gets really cold -- at least mine does. Ever feel your tummy at the end of the run? Doesn't it feel as cold as a corpse? Sorry, bad word picture here. Well, you are still warm from the running but when you stop running you start to cool off but it takes a while for the blood to get back into your core area. If you don't change your wet clothes and take a shower, it seems to take forever to get warm. At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Oh, and we keep our house at about 60 or 62 during the day and 58 at night. Anything warmer than that makes me sweat! Tongue