Dynamic Stretching before a Race or Hard Workout (Read 578 times)

Tiefsa

Do any of you do Dynamic Stretching and not static stretch before a race or a hard workout?

I'm in the Dynamic camp now.  It leaves my legs with a little more spring in them, but I'm not really set on what stretches I should do.

Here's what I am doing now for a warm up before a race/hard workout

Warm up jog

Dynamic Stretches:  High knees, Butt kicks, Swinging Leg (side to side), Straight ahead leg kicks, Skipping, and Carioca

Some people like lunges, but that seems to take a little too much energy from my quads.  Too much burn.  Sometimes I skip out of doing the high knees and butt kicks too if my knees are feeling a little too sore.  (I have a history of knee injuries unrelated to running)

Then I do a 3-6 strides in the few minutes before the race starts.  

Anyways, what are some Dynamic Stretches that you do that you think gets you ready to go?  Do you do static stretching instead before a race? 

#artbydmcbride

I also like to hop up and down and swing my arms front to back.  Cool

Runners run

A couple others I like are done while "walking" forward:

• lift knee up, grasp with hands, pull firmly but not aggressively to chest; and
        • lift leg up with lower leg more horizontal, grasp knee and ankle, lift up/in firmly.

Seem to help with ROM at the hip and knee, as well as stretching the glutes, quads, and piriformis/whatnot.

But whatever works, go with it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

drrbradford

Personally I have a fairly rigid warm up routine for sessions and races. I find it a good way to get psyched as much as loosening the muscles. A rough outline. 1. Walking high knees. 2. Rapid high knees. 3. Rapid high knees with two very small quick steps between. 4-6. Repeat for 'B' drill (straight leg kick with snap back). 7-10. Repeat for 'C' drill (like butt kicks but focus on pawback and flex at knee rather than keeping thigh vertical). 11. Odd-legs drill: do straight leg calf drill on one leg and then 'C' drill with the other. Difficult at first but improves co-ordination and proprioception. 12. Standing lateral straight leg swings while holding a railing or the likes. Loosens up my ITB and related muscles. 13. Strides x 3 with walk back. Focus on cadence and exaggerated range of motion. 14. Jump about on start line like a silly sausage to keep the HR up to around 90/100.
          bhearn

Do any of you do Dynamic Stretching and not static stretch before a race or a hard workout?

Anyways, what are some Dynamic Stretches that you do that you think gets you ready to go?  Do you do static stretching instead before a race? 

Absolutely. I do these mobility and running drills. When I'm not too lazy.

Static stretching, no, only after workouts.

The Runner Life

dynamic stretching is the better option prior to racing and workouts.  I've read somewhere that static stretching actually leaves your legs with less power, which is generally not good.