Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Whether on this thread or on a group, I'd love to see what people did this week for training. Gives me ideas, compare notes, etc.
    I started to but had second thoughts when I realized that most of us have logs. However, there is something to be said for posting where it can all be seen at once. Ok, I'm not proud. Here's the slowest bunch of training paces you'll find around these parts. I am "hopeful" in the truest sense of the word: Mon1 – 7 miles at 8:25 pace Mon2 – 4 at 8:15 Tue – 6 at 8:28 Wed – 8 at 8:24 Thu – 7 at 8:31 Fri – 8 at 8:32 Sat – 9 miles including 3.06-mile club race in 19:08 (6:15, 6:15, 6:15, 0:23) Sun – 16 at 8:08 Mon through Tue all on the grass. Total – 65 miles
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      Does it count if I want to do it again? I ran 2:59:56 in NYC last year; by far the hardest thing I've ever done. And I'm not so sure about that equivalent times chart. I've run 18:00 5k (actually 17:59.85 :yesSmile and 1:22:## half marathon, and they weren't near as hard as the sub-3 hour marathon. I don't have a specific marathon scheduled yet, but I'm definitely planning to go for it again.
      Confused ...Ok Kevin; I'll put you on the Hopefuls list, but you have to run at least 2:59:55 to graduate.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Ham & Egger

I started to but had second thoughts when I realized that most of us have logs. However, there is something to be said for posting where it can all be seen at once. Ok, I'm not proud. Here's the slowest bunch of training paces you'll find around these parts. I am "hopeful" in the truest sense of the word: Mon1 – 7 miles at 8:25 pace Mon2 – 4 at 8:15 Tue – 6 at 8:28 Wed – 8 at 8:24 Thu – 7 at 8:31 Fri – 8 at 8:32 Sat – 9 miles including 3.06-mile club race in 19:08 (6:15, 6:15, 6:15, 0:23) Sun – 16 at 8:08 Mon through Tue all on the grass. Total – 65 miles
        Jim, That's not slow, that's smart...you're running conservative paces based on your fitness. That's the point! Where are you in the training cycle? Early by the looks of it...are you doing CMI, or am I misremembering? By the by, we could just look at logs, but I like having the stuff in front of me and talking about it. It's a good way to develop comradarie on that sort of thing.
        www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
          Jim, That's not slow, that's smart...you're running conservative paces based on your fitness. That's the point! Where are you in the training cycle? Early by the looks of it...are you doing CMI, or am I misremembering? By the by, we could just look at logs, but I like having the stuff in front of me and talking about it. It's a good way to develop comradarie on that sort of thing.
          I’m not sure exactly where I am in the cycle. I started with a plan to run Cowtown Marathon Sacramento on Oct 5 but ended up missing about 6 weeks of key workouts since June. First it was a virus and more recently a groin strain. The good part is that neither was serious and I’ve been able to run through virtually all of it by keeping everyting in slow-easy range. Although I just started back doing some threshold stuff a couple weeks ago I feel like progress has been pretty quick. I’ll be racing a 10-miler next Sunday which should tell me a lot. The following week will be 5k after which I get a 5-week break from racing to get ready for a key half marathon (Oct 19). Three weeks after that will be another key race at 30k. That leaves me 4 weeks before CIM. At first I though I would need to choose between the 30k and CIM but I’ve started thinking more seriously about doing them both. Any opinions on this? The 30k is definite as it is part of the USATF series that I’ll be running for my club in. Probably a lot more info than any one needed but there it is. “Misremembering”? Have you been hangin out with Roger Clemens? Big grin I'm with you on the comraderie thing, btw.
            Here's my past week. I would consider it a good week. The MP run was promising... Sun (6:09am) - 20 miles (7:16/mile AHR 154) with 15 @ MP (6:57/mile, AHR 160) Mon (7:16am) - 3.08 Recovery (8:36/mile AHR 121) Tue (6:20am) - 7.29 Easy (8:08/mile AHR 136) Wed (6:31am) - 3.2k wup (7:56/mi, AHR 132) 4x(2400m+2minRest) (6:23/mile, AHR 162), 1.6k cdn (7:43/mi, AHR 141) Thu (6:21am) - 10.94 Recovery (8:28/mi, AHR 130) Fri (7:21am) - 3.97 Easy (8:16/mi, AHR 136) Sat (9:26am) - 5.23 Easy (8:19/mi, AHR 137) Tot: 59.46 Im following Daniels A-Plan for Chicago. Since track work is no fun in the winter, I'm thinking of switching over to Hadd for Boston (if I run and re-BQ). It simpler to just run everything on the roads. I like the track work in the warmer weather.... I also think I could benefit from some 5k/10k training as I don't feel up to snuff at those paces. I seem to be able to run comfortable at HRs in the 160s, but when my HR gets into the mid-170s I can't handle the lactic acid.
              ...a key half marathon (Oct 19). Three weeks after that will be another key race at 30k. That leaves me 4 weeks before CIM. At first I though I would need to choose between the 30k and CIM but I’ve started thinking more seriously about doing them both. Any opinions on this?
              That sounds like almost the ideal marathon buildup to me. I don't think I'd run a marathon at this point without including a half marathon and a 30k in the preparation and 4 weeks is good timing. I'm running a 30K in two weeks, a half on Sep 28th, and Bay State on October 19th. I'd actually prefer the half was first and the 30k was a month before the marathon but it is what it is.

Runners run

Ham & Egger

... The following week will be 5k after which I get a 5-week break from racing to get ready for a key half marathon (Oct 19). Three weeks after that will be another key race at 30k. That leaves me 4 weeks before CIM. At first I though I would need to choose between the 30k and CIM but I’ve started thinking more seriously about doing them both. Any opinions on this? The 30k is definite as it is part of the USATF series that I’ll be running for my club in.
                An acquaintance I know over at the Asics Aggies out of San Luis Obespo sent me some of his women's team old training schedules: those are exactly the races he had them due to get ready for CIM. And what struck me as interesting is that each had a portion run @ MP. The half was 10@tempo, 3 race. The 30k was all MP. Not sure I'd want to put all my eggs into one marathon during a given cycle...but those races match up perfectly, as Mike says.

Ham & Egger

... Im following Daniels A-Plan for Chicago. Since track work is no fun in the winter, I'm thinking of switching over to Hadd for Boston (if I run and re-BQ). It simpler to just run everything on the roads. I like the track work in the warmer weather.... I also think I could benefit from some 5k/10k training as I don't feel up to snuff at those paces. I seem to be able to run comfortable at HRs in the 160s, but when my HR gets into the mid-170s I can't handle the lactic acid.
                  During the winter, why not switch to fartleks for your speedwork...they can be demanding if done right. Something like 10x 2'@17x bpm/1' jog, or 5 x 4'@17xbpm/2 jog... I think Obsessor said in another thread "train to your weaknesses". This would be a perfect oppurtunity for that.

Ham & Egger

Here's my week: right now, at the tail end of my "base" phase, whatever that means...but here's the week: M: am: 8.8M, 1:11:24, 8:07 Pace+3 core circuits pm: 40' Pool Run, 5' wm+10x 2' on/1' off, 5x30/30 T: am: 6.55M wm on XC course + 3x4x1:00 hills, Total 10.55M, 1:22:49 pm: 5.15M, 43:29, 8:27 Pace W: am: 13.4M Progression in the hills, 1:40:23, 7:30 Pace (149 AHR so stiff effort here) pm: massage & flex sessions R: am: 4.7M, 44:43, 9:31 Pace+core circuits pm: 30' Pool Run, 5' wm+10x 1' on/1' off+5x 30/30 F: am: 3x5000m@ MP on the roads/1' rest (6:42/154 AHR; 6:52/158 AHR; 6:40/159 AHR), 12.4M Total in 1:29:24 pm: 5.2M in 42:08, 8:07 Pace SA: am: 8.35M, 1:11:45, 8:36 Pace + 700 yds of barefoot strides (8 reps)+drills pm: 3.9M in 32:40, 8:20 pace+ flex work SU: 18.15 M in 2:13:30, 7:22 Pace Week Totals: 91 miles, 11:59:00; 2 pool runs; 2 strength & flex sessions; 1 drill session. *** Friday workout was encouraging. Done on a tough 10k course and my HRs all stayed below 80% max (FWIW, I use the HRM to simply collect data--I mute the "berrping" and just run "on feel").
                      That sounds like almost the ideal marathon buildup to me. I don't think I'd run a marathon at this point without including a half marathon and a 30k in the preparation and 4 weeks is good timing. I'm running a 30K in two weeks, a half on Sep 28th, and Bay State on October 19th. I'd actually prefer the half was first and the 30k was a month before the marathon but it is what it is.
                      I guess that settles it. CIM it is.
                        An acquaintance I know over at the Asics Aggies out of San Luis Obespo sent me some of his women's team old training schedules: those are exactly the races he had them due to get ready for CIM. And what struck me as interesting is that each had a portion run @ MP. The half was 10@tempo, 3 race. The 30k was all MP. Not sure I'd want to put all my eggs into one marathon during a given cycle...but those races match up perfectly, as Mike says.
                        Right or wrong, a signficant difference for me will be that I'm racing them both all out. They are part of USATF series where I will go against top dogs in old man's division. The 30k counts as double points in standings and half is 1 1/2. Awesome training you are doing. 70's is probably about as high as I'll get, with maybe a week or 2 at 80.

Ham & Egger

Right or wrong, a signficant difference for me will be that I'm racing them both all out. They are part of USATF series where I will go against top dogs in old man's division. The 30k counts as double points in standings and half is 1 1/2. Awesome training you are doing. 70's is probably about as high as I'll get, with maybe a week or 2 at 80.
                          Oh, I think it's good to race them all out. I'll be doing the same w/ my half. Sad I can't find a 30k around here to match up w/ Memphis. I suspect I'll just run that on some country roads where the bike club marked the miles...I wish I lived in CA Sad
                          kcam

Well, here's last week's training: Mon (noon) - 8.3 easy Tue (noon) - 8.7 easy Wed (noon) - 9.1 (7x800m @ ~3min each) it was hot (wahhh!) and had to cut this one short Wed (PM) - 5.0 easy Thur (noon) - 8.3 easy Fri (noon) - 10.1 medium effort Fri (PM ) - 3.7 easy Sat (PM) - 6.3 medium Sun (PM) - 7.3 (4 X 1M @ ~6:30 pace average) 67 miles Felt like a cutback week. Not bad considering that Fri and Sat I moved my daughter off to college 200 miles away. Got in one very hilly run on Saturday and had my wife drop me off on the way back home on Sunday to get those last 7.3 miles in! Unfortunately, I'm traveling again this week so it'll be tough to fit in the miles but I'm off to a good start with a 17miler yesterday.
                              I use the HRM to simply collect data--I mute the "berrping" and just run "on feel").
                              I'm trying my best to get the most out of what's being posted here, so if you're running by feel, it would be best to leave the HR stuff out. Jus' sayin'.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Ham & Egger

I'm trying my best to get the most out of what's being posted here, so if you're running by feel, it would be best to leave the HR stuff out. Jus' sayin'.
                                Then disregard it.