Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Omg Piwi I cannot stop laughing. Having said that you did pass the woman on the final stretch and then nearly collapsed while she is casually answering some questions. Epic same as the picture with the kids. So lucky you have those.

RP: yeah I meant to say Sally probably asked you for a picture and not vice versa Smile those are just such an amzing group of people ultra running really humbles you. Glad you were able to make those experiences. Really envious! Is that 3.6kg baby yours???

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - The hand-held grip seems cool for trails and walking around a new town. For running it does not seem as practical if you’re going to film the whole run.

You going for a PR on that half race next week?

Piwi - good job beating all those kids LOL those are super respectable times and you’re still very close to them.

That Lake Biwa marathon was crazy, the Japanese are clearly levelling up quickly in the last 5 years.

Mick - It was a head mount. I’ve ordered the chest mount, gonna try it out. I hope it’s not that much of a difference since it’s a wide lens.

How’s the 5k training going? Aren’t you about to race another time trial soon?

Piwi has some awesome race pictures. There's another one where he's running in someone's backyard.

I'm not sure, but they had a race in his town that crossed over the train tracks, and many times the runners had to stop and wait because the train was passing. Now that would be another epic picture.

RP - LOL, I could never understand fanboying/fangirling. I find it very entertaining though. I’ve seen famous people and met a celebrity, but I never cared much.

I can say though that soccer players appear much smaller in real life than in TV, and MMA fighters are much bigger in real life than in the TV.

DW - any funny stories of guys killing themselves to try to pass you?

me - new shoes arrived today. I'll post the picture on Strava tomorrow. Another escalante racer and a Topo Magnifly to try out. The Topo seems to be very good, gotta try it out on a run now.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - Wasn't it a marathon in Mexico City that has had mass numbers of course cutters, etc. trying to get specific medals given out for the races (medals that spell MEXICO if you run all the right years)?
        Also, would TRX help with baby holding?

Flavio - You know, I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of a PR in this race, but it might be within reach. If I can hold (or better yet, improve upon) the pace for the 4mi/6.4km at HM effort workout I did yesterday and run the tangents well (multi-loop course) I may well have a shot at it.

Which colorway for the escalante racers? My pair are years old by now, but without many miles on them. I should really break them out soon, they're a great shoe.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Flavio: so I am too lazy to TT but yes I will have to do it next week maybe Tuesday or Wednesday on the track. So my rep pqces are 4:30 min/km. And that was my initial 5k pace too. If I do a mini taper what should be my goal pace? Do I go out and hold 4:30 for 4k and then give it all thats left?

Steve yes I beat her just. I think it was my 2nd ever half and finished in 1.26. She obviously has longer legs so not fair 

RP easy and intervals should not be in the same sentence 

Flavio I think that was the local Parkrun where it looks like I'm by myself out for a casual jog 😅

The train track has been an issue in one race where we had to wait about 2 mins. This let all the slower runners catch up.

There's a half here in April which crosses a train track. They have a complicated plan where if it comes when you get there then you get give some train diversion ticket and run an alternative route and hand your ticket back later. Sounds bloody complicated 😕.  Nice job on your latest tempo.

I got new shoes last week. Always happy to see them.

Keen I saw your mallard duck sightings today and thought just as well I don't count ducks as I run past literally hundreds of them.

I'm back running again after....one day off 

Still have a bit of a head cold. Won't try any workouts just yet.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

The train track has been an issue in one race where we had to wait about 2 mins. This let all the slower runners catch up.

There's a half here in April which crosses a train track. They have a complicated plan where if it comes when you get there then you get give some train diversion ticket and run an alternative route and hand your ticket back later. Sounds bloody complicated 😕. 

Still have a bit of a head cold. Won't try any workouts just yet.

Yeah that happened on the road relays course at Feilding in 2019 and 2020.  Worse yet, for whatever reason they have no idea if or when any trains will actually come through.  Even worse, the tracks are halfway down an absolute screamer of a downhill (I ran like a 2:54 last km).  I remember flying down that hill, seeing the train tracks and thinking "I sure as hell hope there's no train because I have no idea how I'm going to stop in time".

Apparently they will pause the time for any affected teams but no idea how they actually practically make that work.

My cold is getting better but sort of still niggling around just enough to be a nuisance.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: good luck I hope its the Pfizer one but great that they are already down to vaccinating fit people. You can say what you want about the Trump administration & Boris Johnson. And I dont know if it is fair to attribute this to Trumps folks and Joe B. is trying to claim this one but I remember that they did all these deals with the pharmaceutical comps early in the process last year without knowing who would win the race, paying big bucks for early shipments. And now you are way ahead of everyone. I can't wait but in a way also am happy that I am not part of the early large scale human experiment. I think they make you waive all rights before the jab. Anyways good luck!!!

So...a few clarifications:

I don't think they're down to vaccinating the general public anywhere in the US.  It's all done by a prioritization scheme that varies based on the state you live in.

In my state/county - Arlington, Virginia - it's prioritized by a) the group you fall into and then b) the date you "pre-registered" on line for the vaccine.  They started with healthcare workers, police, etc, then moved on to those 65 and older about a month ago.  As of this week, they're starting to vaccinate those who are age 18-64 with certain underlying conditions.

The fact that I have asthma that needs a biologic medication to control puts me into that category; my partner has some health issues that also put him in that category.  And we both pre-registered as soon as we had the opportunity, on January 10.  So we both got pinged on Friday evening to schedule our first shots for this week.

But every state in the US is different.  My asthma bumps me way up the line here; it wouldn't in Illinois or California.  Honestly, I'm not sure that my asthma should make me a priority based on what I have read (especially since my biologic medication - Xolair - may be protective against Covid).    But I've decided that the best thing to do is to just to answer all registration questions honestly and get the vaccine when it's offered - refusing to get it because you think the prioritization is wrong sounds noble, but makes stuff more complicated for everyone.

Darkwave I saw you did a speed workout after the 5k. Did you change paces based on your current 5k or just go off of feel? I was almost amazed you were outside and had to do a double take. I assumed the treadmill was fixed just in time for the weather to be conducive to outside running.

I always run off of feel.  I normally probably would have skipped it but a) I felt like the 5K didn't take much out of me (due to my poor execution) and b) it was my team's first workout back and I wanted to show my support by showing up.

I have to say - 800s on the track are much easier mentally than 1/2 mile repeats on the treadmill.  2 laps hard on the track seems very short; 3+ minutes hard on the treadmill feels like an eternity.

Railroad crossings and races - there is a marathon/half marathon in the US called Mohawk-Hudson that crosses train tracks at around mile 20, and they do not stop the trains or have any notice of when the trains will come through.  They do have timing mats before and after, and will adjust your time if you get stopped by the train.  However, Boston will not accept the adjusted time, just the time including train stoppage.  Sucks for the person on the bubble.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW: perfect, understood -  I didn't think that you could have asthma, given your lung capacity. But that just shows I don't know anything about asthma. I would do exactly the same - get the vaccine and don't over complicate things. Situation is complex enough and the US is moving at a fast pace.

RP: I had to look up what Kogalla's are and got stuck with a youtube video of a couple that builds their own cabin. Impressive, quite hilarious and entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOOXmfkXpkM

My brother in England just got vaccinated.

He's about 62 and had a collapsed lung when he was 28 so might be vulnerable if he got the virus.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

Ohh I found a race with a certified course that's happening in mid April!! I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for the 5k, 10k or half.... I'm leaning toward the 10k right now as I think I've only ever run one of them that wasn't a trail race.

We have a local half that has a railroad at mile 11! The refinery that uses it refuses to even disclose their schedule so we can plan around them. I'm not sure why that's a big secret but in the past 5 years it's hit the people running between 1:25 - 1:30 so I've avoided that race (also, it's in August... yuck).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mick I think Sally was just "in the zone" getting ready to pace, although if she was pacing Amanda Basham her day never started. I remember seeing Amanda walking and knew it wasn't a good time to say "hey I seriuosly LOVE your ability to overcome shit and not let things keep you down. Plus...I LOVE YOUR HAIR!" Yeah...3.6 kilo baby boy. Should help with some marathon long runs in a few months pushing him in the stroller.

NOT what I was expecting with the YouTube user name "Bushradical" because Bush is a former Republican President, and combined with Radical I would expect videos about "storming the capitol" nonsense.

flavio yeah I never thought I'd fan girl out, but it's happened. I ran past our former governor and didn't have my phone for a photo. Would have been an easy Strava title. I think I've joked about saying something like "do you know who you are? You're that guy/girl from youtube" and I wish I had more time to talk to Jamil Coury. He seems cool...to a point. Oddly...when I met the elite darkwave I had NO CLUE how elite level of a runner she was.

I never tried the Topos so I'm curious to know how you like them compared to Altras. A buddy apparently has the widest forefoot known to man along with the most narrow ankle. He ONLY wears Altras and bitches about them becoming too narrow. He also gets 700+ miles out of them before they need to be replaced somehow.

Keen It probably would help with baby holding. Positioning him to not rest his head in the soft spot of my bicep might also help. I just need to find time between running, working and jeep stuff. At least the Jeep stuff fits into work time well.

darkwave yeah...locally...seems like almost anyone can get it REGARDLESS of what my Governor tries to do to prioritize it for 70+ and frontline workers. "oh you're 33 and you see people when they drop off dentures? okay here is an order for the shot. Oh you're mid 50s and retired? you can have it too." A coworker received it. Claimed he was public safety. He's working from home and NOT doing inspections. If I was his boss I'd immediately send him on every single inspection since he is vaccinated and therefore safe from COVID 19. Otherwise what's the point?

Treadmill running seems hard. It is just so easy to stop running and walk over to the couch, or  in your case read comic books.

Did someone say "marathon train"? https://time.com/4493079/train-marathon-runners-boston-pennslyvania/

Mohawk isn't the only one. Just look at all those runners standing within 6 feet of each other. Simpler times.

10x400 happened yesterday. It didn't FEEL as challenging as I'd like. It actually felt like I could have gone a little quicker. The body just WOULD NOT go faster. Numbers 1, and 8-10 were what I expected for all of them. Maybe I need to drop a few pounds, and strengthen the legs. It's a good point to start from. I just have a really hard time accepting some book says I'm potentially a 3:11 marathoner (19:57 5k) based on ONE workout pace at 4,500 ft elevation when I've ONCE run a 2:59 around sea level on a major downhill course known for having ideal race weather. It makes me feel like there is a TON of work to do and I haven't even tried a threshold/tempo/marathon paced run and a 6:50ish pace doesn't feel sustainable for 3 hours right now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JamesD

JamesD

...We have a local half that has a railroad at mile 11! The refinery that uses it refuses to even disclose their schedule so we can plan around them. I'm not sure why that's a big secret... 

I'm not surprised.  After 9/11 (yeah, I know, it was a long time ago), the government made a big push to define critical infrastructure and impress on everybody involved with it the importance of security against terrorist attacks.  As I understand it, the now-135 refineries in the U.S. operate pretty close to 100% capacity to meet current demand, to the extent that they have to coordinate maintenance shutdowns so no more than a couple are down at the same time. Taking out a few refineries, or just blowing up their trains so they can't get oil in or gasoline out, could seriously mess up U.S. transportation.  I imagine the need for secrecy has been drummed into a couple of generations of refinery people.

I have no idea if this is feasible, but it seems like reversing the course so runners cross the tracks at mile 2 instead of mile 11 would reduce the window of time runners would be crossing from about 2 hours (assuming the earliest ones arrive after an hour and the latest arrive after 3)  to about 20 minutes (10 minutes for the fast ones, 30 for the slow ones).  If that's the case, the railroad might be more willing to say that there shouldn't be any problem, without giving away too much information about when its trains will be where.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm not surprised.  After 9/11 (yeah, I know, it was a long time ago), the government made a big push to define critical infrastructure and impress on everybody involved with it the importance of security against terrorist attacks.  As I understand it, the now-135 refineries in the U.S. operate pretty close to 100% capacity to meet current demand, to the extent that they have to coordinate maintenance shutdowns so no more than a couple are down at the same time. Taking out a few refineries, or just blowing up their trains so they can't get oil in or gasoline out, could seriously mess up U.S. transportation.  I imagine the need for secrecy has been drummed into a couple of generations of refinery people.

I have no idea if this is feasible, but it seems like reversing the course so runners cross the tracks at mile 2 instead of mile 11 would reduce the window of time runners would be crossing from about 2 hours (assuming the earliest ones arrive after an hour and the latest arrive after 3)  to about 20 minutes (10 minutes for the fast ones, 30 for the slow ones).  If that's the case, the railroad might be more willing to say that there shouldn't be any problem, without giving away too much information about when its trains will be where.

Imagine if there was a pipeline we could transport oil through instead of trainee. It could be a KEYSTONE to safe transportation and help refineries operate without relying on trains. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_unc_dcu_nus_m.htm

looks closer to 76% capacity. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MOPUEUS2&f=M

1995 was a busy year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Did someone say "marathon train"? https://time.com/4493079/train-marathon-runners-boston-pennslyvania/

Mohawk isn't the only one. Just look at all those runners standing within 6 feet of each other. Simpler times.

RP: I didn't know of Amanda Basham, I guess Billy Yang has never covered her (vs his best buddies Sally M, Zach Miller, Anton Krupicka,  etc) Omg that is such a pain - I hope the railway company did buy all the failed Boston qualifiers an entry since they otherwise would have been eligible for that trip "Botswana". Plus a railway ticket first class to Boston of course.

3.6kg good stuff, healthy baby! You will be strong as heck once the baby is strong enough to go with you in a running stroller.

I am with you regarding the weight - I am trying but I love sweets, pizza, meat. It's hard and way easier to run more miles.

Piwi just saw the M6.9 EQ off the coast of Tauranga. Stay safe!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

James - I ran through my sports hernia all fall. It didn't impact my running, but it bothered me in other ways (sneezes were very painful). After taking 5 weeks off, it's pretty much fully healed. I don't think you need to stop running per se, but I would monitor it to see if it gets worse. One of those "keep running as long as it's stable or getting better" type injuries.

Piwi - I remember that picture, a classic.

MJ - Europe seems like a disaster with the COVID vaccines. It's so weird, they seemed to be at the forefront when it came to how to control the pandemic, and now look like fools. They seem to be letting perfect be the enemy of good.

DW - good luck with the vaccine. Are you getting Pfizer or Moderna? Seems like Moderna has a bigger after effect.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)