How to embed google map into forum message (Read 874 times)

an amazing likeness

Can anyone offer coaching on how to embed a Google map into a posting here on RA? 

Google gives me the embed html from the map, and when I paste it into the html editor it renders the map.  However in the updated post on the forum, it shows the source html rather than having the browser render the google map.

Here's what's happening....(this looks ok in the html editor)

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=215176494572037630438.0004bb5dd0e9c468b061d&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=42.960239,-70.352916&amp;spn=2.627364,2.563097&amp;t=m&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=215176494572037630438.0004bb5dd0e9c468b061d&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=42.960239,-70.352916&amp;spn=2.627364,2.563097&amp;t=m&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">2012 Half Marathon Locations</a> in a larger map</small>

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

RA forums currently do not support iFrame.

an amazing likeness

RA forums currently do not support iFrame.

Oh....not even if I post the iFrame using my iPhone running iOs reading content from the iCloud? i give up.

Thanks for the quick reply.

eric :)

Oh....not even if I post the iFrame using my iPhone running iOs reading content from the iCloud? i give up.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, RA doesn't allow many html tags.  It displays any tags that is not allowed as plain text, which is what you're seeing. The original intent was to prevent malicious users from including javascripts in their posts.  Now it's to used to keep the forum simple so everything can be formatted correctly.  Sometimes I wonder if I should allow RA maps to be included but scratched the idea because of all the extra security code that might need to go with it.  For now, you'll have to settle for a link to the map.

an amazing likeness

Personally, (despite trying to do just the opposite)  I favor simplicity, Eric, over a bunch of embedded stuff.  One of the special sauces of RA is that it is fast and elegantly clean.

xor

Yes, RA doesn't allow many html tags.  It displays any tags that is not allowed as plain text, which is what you're seeing. The original intent was to prevent malicious users from including javascripts in their posts.  Now it's to used to keep the forum simple so everything can be formatted correctly.  Sometimes I wonder if I should allow RA maps to be included but scratched the idea because of all the extra security code that might need to go with it.  For now, you'll have to settle for a link to the map.

Thumbs up for this.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Personally, (despite trying to do just the opposite)  I favor simplicity, Eric, over a bunch of embedded stuff.  One of the special sauces of RA is that it is fast and elegantly clean.

Yep, I agree.

xhristopher

Can anyone offer coaching on how to embed a Google map into a posting here on RA? 

You mean this?

xor

I see nothing.

Something in the way she moves.

I saw nothing.  But now I see something.

Spurwink.

Supererogatory.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

You mean this?

Chris, No.  I have a google map that isn't a course/route -- rather a one of those maps with "pins" dropped into it to mark locations.  Options are to embed with iFrame, or link to it.  Link will work.

xhristopher

Chris, No.  I have a google map that isn't a course/route -- rather a one of those maps with "pins" dropped into it to mark locations.  Options are to embed with iFrame, or link to it.  Link will work.

Oh, you want something that actually works? Something interactive? That's gonna cost you big.