Help me, please? (Read 159 times)

diane_77

Hello.  I have not posted anything here in the longest time, but I need advice.  I finished my first and only half marathon last February, and my second one is scheduled for 5 weeks from now.  I have had family issues and medical issues keeping me from training the last month or so, and the training I did in the summer was minimal.  My endurance has suffered.

I really want to do this next half marathon, but I'm worried I may not finish it due to lack of sufficient training.  Here is what I am thinking of doing; I was thinking about running a 5K everyday between now and then, but I will walk/run 10 miles one day next week, 11 miles the next week, 12, miles the next week, and 13 miles the next week, and then just a 5K everyday the week before to act as a "taper", then take one day following each long walk/run to rest.  So, during the race weekend, I have a 5K scheduled for a Saturday, and the next day is the half marathon.  I thought I would walk/run the 5K and then primarily walk the half marathon.  As long as I maintain 16:00 a mile or better, I can finish.

Does that sound stupid?  I'm worried my body may not be able to adapt to the mileage.  Does this sound possible?

I really want to do this.  It's my only shot at getting a Disney Coast to Coast medal.  It's been a dream of mine for several years, and I never thought I would have the opportunity to do it.

Suggestions?

an amazing likeness

Forget about those 11. 12 & 13 milers. You have 5 weeks, making your #1 goal to not do anything which will tear down any fitness you build in the coming weeks.  Those long events will just knock you off your feet for the following days as you recover.

What will help most is simply time on your feet -- not running 5K hard each day -- that wont build your endurance. Slower, longer workouts are better. Use run/walk mixes (run 1, walk 5 min, run 1, walk 5min, as an example).  Cramming in miles will just get you hurt with an overuse injury (like shin splints or tendonitis) and sidetrack you completely.

1 hour walk/run mixed each day will do more for you than running 3 miles then tripling it to 10 miles one day a week.

You didn't ask for advice...but...seriously...it's just a medal....there will be a gazillion future opportunities to get out there well-trained and enjoying running a half marathon rather than death marching for hours....to this outsider, it seems like you may not being looking at this rationally.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Milktruck is right. You can't make up for training missed. You need to get to the starting mat without getting injured. If you are determined to do both races, then let go of what happened up to now, run easy miles, run longer once a week, try one faster workout a week, be smart about listening to your body and taking a rest when you need it. Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

diane_77

Yes, you're both right.  I really didn't want to do anything that would injure me.  Also, the last time I ran without proper training, it took me a little over a week to fully recover.

I really appreciate the time you both took to respond.  Thanks!

dodger20

this is great advice from milktruck and meg imho you have to look at the bigger picture not just a single race read what meg posted i think everybody should do what she says there