Knee / IT band pain -- does it get better ? (Read 3005 times)

an amazing likeness

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback, everyone -- it is appreciated. "for me resting it did absolutely nothing -- ITBS sidelined me for months" This is what I fear is happening to me, I'm now into my 5th month of working on this with a stretching program and foam roller. I am more flexible for certain, and those knots of pain that I used find with the roller don't seem to be there any more. I'm going to try a shoe change next. I also will try the advice to stop running as soon as the pain starts and keep below the threshold of distance when the pain starts -- I've been using the pain setting in as a sign to cut back to distance, but have pushed through to finish the run.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Massage and a new pair of shoes worked for me. Good luck, dude.
      This, plus foam roller. Oh yeah, and I couldn't run for 8 weeks (I couldn't even walk), not until I got new shoes that is (not just new, different). Once I switched to a neutral shoe I never had a problem again.
        I've been using the pain setting in as a sign to cut back to distance, but have pushed through to finish the run.
        I'm not a doctor (well, not a real doctor) but I'd say that's your problem right there. My guess is that you could fix this in a couple of weeks if you get strict but you need to do four things. 1. Immediately reduce the inflammation and then 2. Keep from irritating it again whilst you: 3. Build up strength/flexibility to prevent recurrence and 4. Eliminate any possible causative factors 1. Reduce immediate inflammation with ice/Ibuprofen and maybe rest for a day if it is bad. 2. Keep from irritating it for at least a week or so by: Keeping your runs short. After a day or two you can try doing a couple of runs with some rest, ice and stretch between. Avoid any speedwork. Avoid any downhills. Avoid corners - seriously, be VERY careful going around corners, slow to a practical stop if you have to make a right angle turn. Avoid roads with steep cambers. Avoid running tracks. You get the picture.... Also, make your short runs in the form of a circle around your house. That way if you feel the SLIGHTEST pain you can stop and slowly walk home. Never run on it when it is painful. If you stop the instant you feel irritation you can be back out tomorrow, possibly even later the same day. If you inflame it you'll be sidelined for another day Use ice and Ibuprofen after your run to reduce swelling even if you didn't get any pain. Don't use Ibuprofen before the run since it may mask the pain and lead to injury. 3. Build strength/flexibility with the various recommended stretches and exercises. Find ones that seem to work for you and do them ALL THE TIME. I like the stretch I mentioned earlier because you can do it anywhere without looking too daft. All you need is a chair, table, car, fence post, shelf, large dog or anything to steady yourself against. Every time you have a spare 30 seconds you should so this stretch. You can do it whilst you read at a table if you want. If you work at a desk, even if only part of the day, then do it whenever you get up to, or return to your desk. It will not hurt to look into combining the stretching with some strengthening exercises too. 4. If there is any suspicion that your shoes may be to blame then switch back to an old pair. Otherwise try to think what might be leading to the irritation. For me I suspect that too much downhill running is often the trigger. Even after you get your mileage back you may want to avoid possible triggers for a while - or at least approach them with extreme caution. If you are strict with yourself and don't try to do too much too soon you can get your mileage back up pretty quickly. Say that you can't get beyond 3 miles without pain kicking in then try something like: 0, 2, 3, 2+2, 3, 4, 3+3 which would give you practically a week of stretching before you tried exceeding 3. Then in one more week you could build up to 7 or 8 miles. Good luck. John
        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
        HappyFeat

Periodically I get left sided ITBS - very painful. It goes away with stretching before and icing after running, and also massage. I don't let it keep me from running, but will sometimes take a stretch break while running if it's really hurting. Thumping on it as I run helps tooSmile

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

mshue

I run with this IT Band strap ... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQLUZ4 and it works great! Also, get yourself a foam roller. They work, too!
              I run with this IT Band strap ... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQLUZ4 and it works great! Also, get yourself a foam roller. They work, too!
              I have also used this strap in addition to the foam roller as a preventative method. Sometimes I forget to wear the strap, and I still don't feel any pain. I make sure to stretch both IT bands, my hip abductors, gluteals, groin, and quads. As others have said, core strengthening may help to give you better running form. With this injury, it is often difficult to pinpoint what exactly is helping to alleviate the pain, but I think that stretching with the foam roller has probably been the biggest help. I have tried resting and icing, but for me neither of those seemed to do anything. Has anyone eventually stopped using the foam roller after pain has subsided? I don't mind using it, but sometimes I like to run away from home and don't want to drag the roller around with me.
              2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
                This, plus foam roller. Oh yeah, and I couldn't run for 8 weeks (I couldn't even walk), not until I got new shoes that is (not just new, different). Once I switched to a neutral shoe I never had a problem again.
                Patt strapp, new shoes, foam roller, and stretches. Also, cut down on the miles. It's been 3 years, and I'm just now trying to increase speed and distance. I've been so worried , I was just happy to do 20 a week, with 5 being my long run. Good luck Oh, MTA my shoe problem was the same.. I needed a neutral. It really really made a difference.

- Anya

Old, Slow, Happy

I have been reading this thread with extreme interest. I have been down since August. It started with runners knee. I didn't stay off of it. Of course it got worse, I now have custon orthotics and the knee pain is some better. However, I had already hurt my IT band on the other leg by limping on the sore knee. Now the IT is the problem causing me to limp. I am trying to stretch it, but I can't seem to get it stretched. You guys make me afraid that I will down for months yet. I am running about 3 miles/day and finishing the remaining portions of my workouts on an elliptical. I'm not looking for anything, I just feel better if I can tell ya-all. Thanks

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I over trained last Nov and developed an IT band problem on the right side. Its slowly gone away by my doing IT band stretches, rubbing the knee, Sun Salutations to stretch everything, and switching to a Jeff Galloway run-walk-run approach. Now I am not a speedster by any means, but I ran my first 10k a little over a week ago at a pace that was a minute faster than my 5k pb - w/o pain, by using the run-walk method. You might give it a try at least until the pain eases off.

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

...---...

Milk Truck - fellow ITBS sufferer here. There's a lot of stuff in this thread. All of it is true. But everyone's remedy will not be the same combo. Someone said it earlier, stop running at the first sign of pain or you may never kick this thing. I don't care how slow you go, if the pain is there, call it quits. I ran through a marathon in October with ITBS...it about killed me. After the marathon I would run and STOP at the first sign of pain (hopefully, you can adjust your distances to avoid it all together for a while). Plus, do the NSAID's after running, Ice, ice, ice, ice, ice, ice...you get the picture. The foam roller, stretching...all that shit. It works. Eventually. Maybe it is your shoes, but I suspect it's just the miles. Took me about 10 weeks to kick it. But I don't have ITBS anymore and am running a second marathon in 3 weeks. Good luck and cheers.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I've been dealing with ITBS for about 2 months now. I was doing better for a while (getting up to 4.5 miles) until last week when I re-inflamed it. I think it was because I went home for spring break and the terrain around my house is hillier than what I was used to. Right now, I'm doing stretches + foam roller, but I will definitely give the NSAID + frozen peas a shot, too.
                          MilkTruck: What shoe do you wear when you run? And what shoe do you wear other time during the day?
                            Massage and a new pair of shoes worked for me. Good luck, dude.
                            Drew: What shoe were you wearing when you had the issue? And what shoe did you swtich to when the problem eased?
                              Nobby, not that you asked me, but when I switched from a Mizuno stability (can't remember the model) to the Asics Nimbus (a cushioned neutral, so I am told), I never had another issue once I made the switch.

an amazing likeness

MilkTruck: What shoe do you wear when you run? And what shoe do you wear other time during the day?
                                Sorry for the delay in responding... For running I mix various models of Asics neutral cushioning models -- I usually have 4 pair in rotation at various lifecycle stages from new to beat. My primary model for the last 18 months or so has been the Asics Nimbus. For daily wear, I usually wear typical 'loafers' or other leather "dress" shoes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.