How many miles do you put on running shoes before you retire them? (Read 223 times)

Fruchtenstein

gait mechanics vary between people.

This.

No two feet are identical. When I see Kinvaras with worn out soles, I just can't understand what did they do with these shoes. For me it's always the upper that falls apart, whatever shoes I'm wearing. The soles are usually almost new. But I know that for many people it's the other way round.

KCRuns

I generally retire them at 400 miles. I always rotate 2 pair so one is nearing the end of 400 miles and the other is just starting to get mileage.

also, don't forget to donate old shoes to a good cause.  Check out my blog post https://therealartofrunning.com/soles-for-souls/

Thanks for posting your link!  I had no idea about Soles for Souls or how easy it is to send in your shoes.  I have a dozen pair at home that I've been waiting for a shoe drive to donate them, but now I don't have to wait and I know where to send them! Smile

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Usually I don't consider replacing shoes (Altra Escalante) until 600 miles. I may keep them longer depending on how they are wearing and feel, but 600 is usually the minimum. Previously I ran in Saucony Kinvaras and Freedoms, and found that those didn't last as long - maybe 500 miles. It was frequently the uppers that were torn up on those, though. Newtons, what I originally ran in, seemed to wear out even faster.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

brentnet

Mark me in the "over 1k miles" club. I never really retire shoes. They just go from my main shoes to shoes I'll bring out to the cabin to run in for weekends in the summer.  Eventually they become lawn mowing shoes when we start getting completely ratty and broken.

mediumrare

Around 450 miles, which is usually around 18 months to 2 years. I'm 6'0 200lbs and think i could probably get some more  miles out I feel for me this is the right amount.

Seattle prattle

Thanks for posting your link!  I had no idea about Soles for Souls or how easy it is to send in your shoes.  I have a dozen pair at home that I've been waiting for a shoe drive to donate them, but now I don't have to wait and I know where to send them! Smile

You may also be interested in another charity in which you can: Donate your race medal as a message of compassion to a brave patient

That's right. It's called Medals for Mettle and they recondition your old race medals into a medal for a child who is hospitalized and battling life threatening illnesses. It's for real. I did it a few years ago and it is very simple and a great cause.

I also purchased a singlet from them, very nice, btw, and the proceeds go to their foundation.

Link: https://medals4mettle.org/

I always get 500 miles on a pair of shoes but usually more than 600.      Last pair I retired were at 650 and the ones I currently use (most runs) are right at 600 but still feel good so I expect to get 750 or so on them.     I have retired shoes at 350 in the past but try to get as much out of a pair of shoes as I possible can....they cost too  much not to wear to the end....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Something to consider is cost per usable mile. The whole point of trying to extend shoe life is to avoid paying for new shoes too often. This frugality can lead to injuries by trying to keep going in shoes that are done.

You may get fewer miles out of a particular shoe, but the cost per mile might be lower.

(cost divided by miles)

A $60 purchase that only lasts 350 miles is a cheaper shoe than a$120 purchase that lasts 500 miles. (17 cents per mile vs 24).

But a $120 shoe that lasts 750 miles is cheaper per mile than the $60 shoe.

I never buy at retail prices, it's always some clearance or other sale, sometimes of last year's models (hey, they were top notch then, why would they be garbage now just because the color changed?). I shoot for 15 cents per mile.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying