Several 5k's done, am I ready to move on to a Tri or 10k? (Read 1496 times)

Nursing student running

Hi, I've just completed my 4th 5k this Sunday. I'm not a super fast runner. I came in at 30.20 But I would love to increase my endurance and give a Triathalon or a 10 k a go. Am I acting too premature, Should I wait till I'm faster, or should I go for it? Blush Any advise is greatly appreciated!! Melissa
    Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)
      I don't think you need to be fast to move on and move up! ... you just need the training!
      2009: BQ?
      xor

Unless the races have qualifying times or cut-off times that you wouldn't make (and they generally do not), speed is not a primary concern unless you want it to be. Train for a 10k and/or sprint tri... see if you like them!

I say go for it too. I am even slower than you (fastest 5K is 38 min.) But the last couple of months I have been slowly increasing my mileage in order to do a 10K run. You can check out my log if you want to see what I've done. The only bummer at increasing distance and being slower is that it takes so much longer. My 7 mi. run took me 1 hour 45 min on Monday. I just keep waiting for the long slow distance to drop my running times. I'l just keep at it.

Jazz hands!

Do it! As long as you can run the distance, it's fine. My first race ever is an upcoming 10k. :-D
            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

For a first sprint tri, I think you just need to get comfortable with the sports. If you're comfortable jumping into the pool and swimming 800m, you got no problem there. If not, do some training -- how much all depends on your swim comfort level. If you're weak on swimming, I'd suggest looking for a pool swim for your first one. Similarly, if you're comfortable jumping onto a bike and doing 10-15mi, you're good -- otherwise, train up a bit to get over the soreness of getting used to the saddle Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

OF course the nice thing about fitness is that its all about you.....you can and should do what you want to do to continue your fitness...... My 2 cents (for what little its worth) is that if your new to running and want to get better, I would suggest you continue to increase your distance and speed (since you dont share your log we dont know for sure where you are).....and run a few more 5k, but start giving them all all out effort and watch your times get a little better (get below 9:00 per mile for instance).....then as you increase your distance, you will find a 5 miler or 10K and run it for fun....just cause you can do it....dont worry about speed, just do it for fun. How long have you been running and how many miles per week do you currently log? Cant answer to a Tri -- I'm not a good swimmer and HATE biking (tris just arent for me).... Confused

Champions are made when no one is watching

I see no reason why you shouldn't move up to the 10k, you have reached quite a respectable time for the 5k, just need to work on increasing dustance. It is likely you will find this makes you faster without having that goal. I won't comment on the tri as I don't know what your swimming and biking skills are, and have never done one myself. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Nursing student running

Thanks so much for all the advise. I'm not quite sure how to make my logs accessable, I just became a member of run ahead. As for my running history. I've been running on and off for about a year. But really started becoming serious about it this summer. I am much more comfortable running than I am swimming or biking although I like both. So I think working on increasing distance and time and give a longer race a go. Thanks again, I feel much more confident! Big grin Melissa
                    Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)
                      I'm not quite sure how to make my logs accessable, I just became a member of run ahead.
                      Click on options (top right corner of RA) and then select MY LOG PREFERENCES.....there is a button you can click called "ALOW EVERYONE TO SEE MY RUNNING LOG' ......if you look under log preferences, you will find it........ Click it and we can all see your training log...... Wink

Nursing student running

Awesome, thanks! Now don't laugh at my workouts, I'm just getting into the swing of things! Blush
                          Awesome, thanks! Now don't laugh at my workouts, I'm just getting into the swing of things! Blush
                          \\ ha ha ha Big grin --- HA HA HA Wink -- HA HA HA --- Just joking -- MELISSA - You are doing just fine - your log looks good.....Keep working on being more consistent...don't miss too many days, like one day on and one off or 2 days on one off or what ever is comfortable for you...and keep 'beating feet'..... Keep it up -- Tongue

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I concur with everyone else and say, go for it! You are faster than I am (33.34 5K PR) and I'm training for a Half in September. I can't swim and am a horrible biker, so I can't comment on a tri, but if you set a goal and consistently and smartly train for it, there shouldn't be anything that you can't accomplish.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Nursing student running

Kerry, Good luck with the Half! Keep us updated on how you do. Thanks again everyone for all the advise. Melissa

My running partner!

I would say that you should go for it! I started running in October of last year with the C2K program and once I was able to finish a 5k I moved on to the 8k training for an 8k race. After that I did the sprint tri training and completed a sprint tri over the summer. Now I have moved on to the half training. For me, I need a program with a training schedule to keep me motivated. I am a slow runner, but speed is not my main focus.
                                Kat