Using a forerunner 205 for geocaching (Read 314 times)

Best Present Ever

My kids have been geocaching with an outdoor camp and have enjoyed it.  My daughter and I are doing a short back backpack trip this weekend (should be chilly!  We still have snow on the mountains, which isn't usual for early November in Shenandoah).  I know there are bunches of caches in the section we'll be in, and I'm hoping it will distract my daughter from whining about how miserable she is. 

It appears that I can use my 205 to download waypoints, whatever that means.  Does anyone have simple instructions for the not-bright?  

Use your smartphone instead?  Tried with my 305 and it didn't work well.  We then found the app for the android phone and that is easy as can be.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Best Present Ever

Use your smartphone instead?  Tried with my 305 and it didn't work well.  We then found the app for the android phone and that is easy as can be.

Mayve we'll try that. I hate to run down my battery tho when I'm backpacking with my daughter in case of emergency I'm going to be on the AT which gets surprisingly good reception. Good to know the 305 didn't work very well. I'll try the 205 but be resigned to not being very successful. My daughter's found caches along where we'll be so she is likely to be able to find some by memory.

Use your smartphone instead?

+1 on this. Tried with my 405 and it was a little frustrating.

Since then have had success with android & WP apps. I'm sure there's one for iPhone too!!

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Feeling the growl again

I have the Android geocaching app, it looks pretty good but I haven't applied it in a real-life setting yet.

As for concerns about running down your battery....that is going to take quite a bit of GPS operating time.  I used my Android phone as a GPS in VERY secluded Montana last year, with a mapping app, and it worked very well.  You can't leave the GPS on all day, but you can get quite a few hours in without worrying about depleting a battery that started full.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I hate to run down my battery tho when I'm backpacking with my daughter in case of emergency...

My wife has a droid razr (I still have an old dumb phone) and it eats battery something fierce.  We bought one of these and it is great.  At something like 3 times the battery in the phone, we no longer have to worry when we will be able to charge. 

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

I have an old Garmon Etrex I have used for years it is simple and gets the job done . I have a 2 year old smart phone with a crappy GPS that really struggles to get a single but I love the apps for it. One App I have gotten into is Munzee hunting and this could be become bigger than Geocaching. Not too many around my area but the numbers sure are growing. .