The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Monday update.

Feeling ok, still fuzzy but better than yesterday. Being outside doing stuff makes me feel better. Haven't gone running yet.

Went in for the test this morning, if positive they'll let me know within 48hrs. This test is pretty non-invasive, a science Q-tip rubbed around in the nostrils for 15 seconds each side, inserted only about 1.5cm in, not the 5-8cm like the other test (universal world measurements used for easier comprehension by the comprehension-challenged reader).

If negative, I have no idea what I caught. It wasn't food poisoning because there wasn't any nausea.

In local California CV19 news, things are going to be partially shut down again because of the dramatic increase in cases and hospitalizations. It's a count by county thing, LA and King counties being the worst hit right now. My life accomplice comes back from a trip through the Midwest (Kansas) and the Bible Belt (Georgia) Wednesday. I'm having her schedule a test for the day she gets back. Those areas seem to be full of deniers, so there's no telling how many maskless spreaders she came in contact with.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Still alive. Feeling nearly normal.

Shaking my head back and forth with eyes closed can bring on a little dizziness, more than it normally does. 

As of this morning, I haven't received my test results yet.

locally:

Shutdowns continue, openings postponed. Some businesses closing forever, a friend closed their restaurant, but is keeping their children's shoe and clothing stores for now.

bigger picture:

It might be time to talk about a temporary Universal Basic Income until pandemic conditions are over. There are a lot of Middle, Working, and non-Working Class people who are suffering. Many will become so far in debt they may never get out of it. Those that can't borrow will lose their homes. Many businesses are suffering because of a lack of customers spending money; and will thus close or lay off employees causing even more individual poverty. That one time $600 check is way below par. I think at a minimum $1000 per adult per month is required, and it should be means-tested somehow so funds aren't diverted to wealthy or working people who don't need it. Make it temporary so it doesn't become a lifestyle for the lower economic classes. Or if possible, make this aid usable for only food, housing, and medical needs. So, EBT, Section 8, and Medicare access for everyone until pandemic is over and businesses open again.

Still alive. Better every day. No results back yet!

Called to find what the delay is, they said backlog of tests, so results won't be in until sometime next week.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Still alive. Feeling nearly normal.

Shaking my head back and forth with eyes closed can bring on a little dizziness, more than it normally does. 

As of this morning, I haven't received my test results yet.

locally:

Shutdowns continue, openings postponed. Some businesses closing forever, a friend closed their restaurant, but is keeping their children's shoe and clothing stores for now.

bigger picture:

It might be time to talk about a temporary Universal Basic Income until pandemic conditions are over. There are a lot of Middle, Working, and non-Working Class people who are suffering. Many will become so far in debt they may never get out of it. Those that can't borrow will lose their homes. Many businesses are suffering because of a lack of customers spending money; and will thus close or lay off employees causing even more individual poverty. That one time $600 check is way below par. I think at a minimum $1000 per adult per month is required, and it should be means-tested somehow so funds aren't diverted to wealthy or working people who don't need it. Make it temporary so it doesn't become a lifestyle for the lower economic classes. Or if possible, make this aid usable for only food, housing, and medical needs. So, EBT, Section 8, and Medicare access for everyone until pandemic is over and businesses open again.

I fail to see how giving people $1,000/month is going to help. You're talking about giving someone $12,000 which could make them ineligible for section 9 housing, EBT and medicare because they're now considered excess income. Locally there were people saying they lost their government assistance for food stamps and were currently on unemployment. Somehow that extra $600/WEEK (not month) wasn't enough for the person to buy food. If they can't afford food with an extra $2,400/month then $1,000/month won't help. Oh and there is also the whole question about where the money will come from. I'm sure none of the financial burden put on businesses who are required to pay an employee for 2 weeks during a mandatory quarantine has anything to do with a business closing it's doors. I can imagine it is easier to close the whole place than to pay for people to stay home and not work while getting paid.

oh and because this is COVID my county has the following stats

Population: 465,000

Total COVID 19 cases: 3,258

Active cases: 1,190

Recovered cases: 1,986

Currently hospitalized: 86

Released from hospital: 240 (so much for hospitals being overwhelmed due to COVID 19)

Deaths: 82

2.5% of the COVID 19 cases have resulted in death. Greater than 95% of the people testing positive for COVID 19 have recovered and this is BEFORE the Governor mandated masks being worn everywhere in public.

0.0.017% of the population in the county has died due to COVID 19.

Since masks, hand washing, temperature checks, questioners about having left the state within the past 2 weeks, and social distancing are the current cure, and more people are recovering than being killed by COVID 19 shouldn't we allow people to go back to the way things were, or continue opening more businesses now that masks are mandatory? Is the 0.0017% of the population dieing justification for a $1,000/month payment for people unemployed due to the state government closing businesses and discouraging any type of social interaction?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

UBI would replace EBT, section 8, and other "qualifying" low income social services. It's an accounting trick, not an additional handout. But yeah, if cognitively challenged people can't figure out to spend the money on food and housing FIRST and McDonalds and cigarettes LAST, there will be a problem. Nothing's perfect, some things are closer than others.

I got a text telling me my results were ready!

Followed the link, entered my ID questions in three different tiers, got to the page with results, and it said:

Your Covid-19 test result was...

Yep, that's it. It ended with "...". No additional link or info. I tried calling, but it's an app. I tried going to the link address on my desktop, but it wouldn't go through because...it's an app. I contacted the testing center and they basically read the flyer out loud "your test results will be sent via message, and mailed to you within 10 days. Follow the instructions on the message to access the app with your results". After explaining that the app is a dead end, they read the flyer to me louder and faster. Then I asked if there was a number I could call or a website I could use to find the results, so they read the flyer louder and s-l-o-w-e-r this time.

Bureaucracies or greta! I wonder how we did without them before!

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'll be it is politically motivated to show the COVID 19 cases are going down. Insufficient testing was originally why infection rates were low. Now they just won't release the positive test results. It's all a matter of numbers.

Understood on the everyone except for people who go to work gets a paycheck thing. I guess I was raised to understand you have to work for those things unless medically unable to. Not wanting to go to work so you can live off $1,000/month isn't acceptable to me. What ever happened to those shovel-ready jobs we heard about a few years ago? Did they end up not being the best way to put money into people's hands? I'm sure they'd help spread the COVID 19 from person to person in my local county even though construction has been deemed essential and never stopped. Neither option has cured numerous social problems more important than COVID 19.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

If there were no partisan labels to attach to anything, how would we know what was the correct thing to do? 🤣

Running Problem

Problem Child

If there were no partisan labels to attach to anything, how would we know what was the correct thing to do? 🤣

Easy. Just let someone know what your idea is and you’ll find out how many ways it is incorrect. Much like the game telephone. No partisan attachment required to screw up THAT game before I knew what partisan meant three weeks ago.

VDOT 53.37 

repman

I have COVID. It is, for me, just a very mild cold but when I breath deep there was pressure and a tickle cough.

Now, almost two weeks after showing symptoms my breath is fine (But I am fat haha). I basically just ate and ran a little. I was tired one or two days last week.

No fever. No bad cough. No aches. 

I'm going to get retested friday. I should be totally clear by Thursday. 

Honestly, it wasn't that bad-the flu I had in March was 50 times worse (I lost 9 pounds in three days I was so sick thought I was going to die). 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have COVID. It is, for me, just a very mild cold but when I breath deep there was pressure and a tickle cough.

Now, almost two weeks after showing symptoms my breath is fine (But I am fat haha). I basically just ate and ran a little. I was tired one or two days last week.

No fever. No bad cough. No aches. 

I'm going to get retested friday. I should be totally clear by Thursday. 

Honestly, it wasn't that bad-the flu I had in March was 50 times worse (I lost 9 pounds in three days I was so sick thought I was going to die). 

Get out of here with your biased opinion on how dangerous COVID 19 is. It's people such as yourself who are going to ruin society by allowing private businesses to operate without the government telling them how to keep people safe. This is NOT the flu. There is a vaccine for the flu. As an unlicensed and uneducated racist I'll be the first to say you're putting other people's lives at risk by telling people about your first hand experience with COVID 19.

Does "previous experience with COVID 19" allow you to not wear a mask in public due to a health condition? Asking for a friend/myself if I catch COVID. Can you just tell a business "I'm one of the recovered ones" and you're exempt from the mask mandate? Locally the compliance level of wearing masks is high and I wonder if the percentage of "non-compliance" is due to the people who have recovered and thus have antibodies to fight of this evil virus.

VDOT 53.37 

an amazing likeness

It's people such as yourself who are going to ruin society by allowing private businesses to operate without the government telling them how to keep people safe.

Certainly to avoid being a colossal hypocrite you must also object to all those terrible government intrusions on private business like: the FDA setting standards for food and drug safety, the FAA making airlines obey flight safety rule and standards, health department rules about food safety, not selling cigarettes to 10 year-olds...you know...all those restrictions telling private business how to keep people safe cutting into profit margins.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rlopez

Ugh

Joann Y

Never mind. What's the point.

Running Problem

Problem Child

glad to see everyone is still focused on COVID 19 in this thread. No one is curious to know if being recovered makes you medically exempt from wearing a mask in public? I haven't been running since going outside requires a mask or some type of facial covering in the place I'm currently residing.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I thought the COVID 19 mask debate was pretty simple in America....the Democrats wear a mask and the Republicans don’t wear a mask. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)