Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

good luck to ya'll in New Zealand getting the vaccine, hope your supply last.  I know you all will be relieved with the threat of locking down passes.

Watson interesting article on Milindi Elmore. I think I want to get a pair of the Endorphin Pro's as well maybe I'll start with the prior model.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

I re-booked my vaccine - first one is this Friday.  Second 15 October.

The shoe brands that have release data have all admitted there's a range from roughly 1% to 6% (or more) economy improvements.  I also suspect that certain shoes work better for certain people, and that it may even be different by distance.

Which makes it pretty much impossible to know for an individual without spending a lot of money on shoes and then testing them.  Which is pretty much Darkwave with different shoes for different distances!

Watson, That's great news about your vaccine. Be sure to allow a day or two easy after getting that.

Agreed with your point about response to various shoes being individual, I'm just glad I feel faster in my Endorphins because Mrs. Z would flip if I bought another pair of super-shoes. Steve -  I'm glad to see you calling it a placebo effect too, I'm a bit skeptical but if I feel faster, that's enough for me.

Steve Great workout, I'm curious how you feel tomorrow? The percentage of times I finish a workout and latter that day think "my legs are feeling great" only to have them feel trashed on my recovery run the next day is about 95%

Mark I'm a little surprised you simply don't do quality in your long runs. I don't put much stock in them but my watches' recovery stats agree with the 2Q setup. It seems to always want me to rest 50-80 hours after a workout/long run and the Tuesday to Thursday turnaround is just too fast. It begs the question of are those metrics getting better? Does anyone here use Whoop?

I time trialed a mile yesterday with my coach and I have never raced a mile that well. 88 (409), 84, 83, 82 = 5:38. Fastest I've run since 2018. My brain says I can run faster but other than a slightly faster first lap or actually racing someone I don't think it's going to happen right now. Next up is a 10k race on Sunday because I had deferred entry from a 2020 race to a half earlier this year which got cancelled. Time to pull out the Endorphin Pros and see what I can do. My legs feel great whilst sitting at my desk, but we'll see what happens when I go for my run over lunch =)

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

need2tri

I time trialed a mile yesterday with my coach and I have never raced a mile that well. 88 (409), 84, 83, 82 = 2:38. Fastest I've run since 2018. My brain says I can run faster but other than a slightly faster first lap or actually racing someone I don't think it's going to happen right now. Next up is a 10k race on Sunday because I had deferred entry from a 2020 race to a half earlier this year which got cancelled. Time to pull out the Endorphin Pros and see what I can do. My legs feel great whilst sitting at my desk, but we'll see what happens when I go for my run over lunch =)

Congrats Zeb on your WR that will never be broken by another human.  GOAT!!! 😁

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I think I want to get a pair of the Endorphin Pro's as well maybe I'll start with the prior model.

I think Runner's Warehouse has the v1 at under $100 now, which is pretty incredible.

Zebano - Great job on that mile!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

umm not sure what I did. deleting...

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

I think Runner's Warehouse has the v1 at under $100 now, which is pretty incredible.

Zebano - Great job on that mile!

The Speeds are $115 too. Resistance is futile

Gah, not even fat fingering... fixed my mile time lol.

Zeb saw that mile on strava. Very nice splits.

The Endorphin Speed has been one of the best reviewed shoes that I've seen. Actually more highly praised than it's carbon plated brother.

I picked up a new pair of the Fuelcell Rebel version 1s off Facebook marketplace for $84 US. Version 2s are twice that price at the moment over here. I love this shoe and do my best workouts in them. My old pair have nearly 500 miles on them and still feel pretty good.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve Great workout, I'm curious how you feel tomorrow? The percentage of times I finish a workout and latter that day think "my legs are feeling great" only to have them feel trashed on my recovery run the next day is about 95%

I time trialed a mile yesterday with my coach and I have never raced a mile that well. 88 (409), 84, 83, 82 = 5:38. Fastest I've run since 2018. My brain says I can run faster but other than a slightly faster first lap or actually racing someone I don't think it's going to happen right now. Next up is a 10k race on Sunday because I had deferred entry from a 2020 race to a half earlier this year which got cancelled. Time to pull out the Endorphin Pros and see what I can do. My legs feel great whilst sitting at my desk, but we'll see what happens when I go for my run over lunch =)

Great work on the mile.  Very interesting distance.  I haven't done one since high school - back when I had more explosive pace.  Even that distance felt a bit too long for me.  I think I did a 5:30 when I was 14-15 - I'd be amazed if I could repeat that now without some very specific training.

My legs still feel pretty good today and my recovery got a bit too close to "easy" at times.  I've definitely had that before though, where I feel great one day and wake up sore.

All of you North Americans would vomit if you came here and had to buy shoes at the prices we pay...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Zebano nice job on the Mile TT great pacing!

PR's

Marky_Mark_17

Zebano - awesome job on the mile.  I've never raced one, shortest I've done is 3,000m.

Re quality in long runs... I'd probably do it more if I wasn't basically always running a track session the day before.  I really love those track sessions!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Well, I'm not going to run the Dallas-area half in October, indirectly because of covid.  The convention that was taking DW & me to Dallas has been postponed (which seems prudent given how case numbers keep rising), and I can't justify missing some in-town events that weekend just to race.  My autumn half Plans C, D, and E are:  C) outside Atlanta & organized by a group that hasn't posted anything on Facebook since March, which doesn't inspire confidence; D) Gainesville, Florida 4+ hours drive away and likely to be too hot, even by my standards; and E) Birmingham, Alabama probably very hilly (course is being changed) and likely to be too cold.  If none work out, I may wind up running a couple of 5Ks in October/November/December.  Won't have any motivation trouble even if I don't find a half, as I might have a shot at an 80% age grade for a 5K, and I'm making good progress towards my mpw goal for the year.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Sorry to hear about the Dallas Half James,  that sucks.

PR's

zebano

James That's too bad about your race. The hills don't sound great but is there really such a thing as "too cold" to race in Alabama? Good luck with the 5ks. I'm trying to decide how aggressive I want to be on Sunday as I've never paced a 10k very well. I'll probably just play it by ear though I'm not brave enough to ignore the watch like DW.

JamesD

JamesD

...is there really such a thing as "too cold" to race in Alabama? 

For me, yes.  The average low on that day (and the race starts in the morning not long after the temperature is at its lowest) is in the high 30s/4C.  My last half was in the low 40s/6C with high humidity and wind.  That was too cold, and I didn't run well despite being in what I thought was PR shape.  My ideal temperatures for different race distances are in the 50s for a half, the 60s for a 10K, and the 70s for a 5K.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Zeb 10k pace is pretty hot. About 10 sec per km slower than 5k pace. Not sure what that is per mile. Good luck.

I had my first shot yesterday at 1pm. Took my 15 year old too. He wasn't impressed when I mentioned we have to get a second dose 

I'm feeling fine this morning although my arm is still quite sore.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "