Run the same races or different races every year? (Read 83 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

There's a certain comfort in running a race I've run before, familiarity with the course, familiar faces, other known factors.  New races offer variety, new experiences, more new friends.  What do you see as the pros and cons of each? Do you see an ideal mix of the two?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

an amazing likeness

I approach it as a mix...

First...there are long-time or 'good in some other way' events that I want to support each year, so I strive to enter them routinely each year to either enjoy them or make sure they get my support.  From there I've found the '1/3rd rule' applies -- which is 1/3 of the new, unknown, or new to me, or other events I enter are fun; 1/3rd are worth it in hindsight because they were once-and-done or interesting in some other way because they are unique; and 1/3rd are "meh, not doing that again".

As an aside, some years ago, I spent an entire year focusing on new-to-me half marathons (1 per month) and really enjoyed the variety, the travel,  and experiencing the vibe of events outside my general area. It was eye-opening at times.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Marky_Mark_17

I've got a few favourite races that I've run 3-4 times but in general I probably prefer trying out new races.  If you do the same race too often in succession it can get a bit boring.

With new races there's always that fun element of exploration and the challenge of trying to nail a particular course that you haven't run before.  Those events have taken me to a bunch of places I haven't been before, so it's a fun way to see different parts of the country too.  One of my rules is that each year I have to run at least one new race.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

If possible, I like to work a race into a vacation once a year, but with 4 kids between the ages of 11 and 16 I'm just rarely free on weekends to run a destination race like I'd prefer to.

I do enjoy running some of the same races year after year, but mostly they're local races that often fit into my calendar well like a February 5k or a July trail race. Other than that my "goal race" for the year often changes from year to year.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

For marathons, I like to try a different one every time; each one is such a unique experience and I'm willing to travel a bit for them. So far I have run 15 without repeating any, with two more on the books this year and two more in my head for next year. For shorter races, I mainly look for local and fast, so end up repeating many of those.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I do a mix. There are some races I do yearly (like a 5k for work). I will do new ones if they seem interesting or are really close to home. Like milktruck, some new ones became constants, others are one or two and done. Basically, if the race logistics are easy and the course is accurate, I'll chose the know event over a new one.

For me, the tough part about new races is if it is from a new-to-me race management company. Pre-covid, everyone and their dog would put on a "5k" each weekend and it was always an adventure to see what distance it actually was or what important info was missing from the race details (stuff like you have to park in a satellite lot, road is open to traffic, we didn't mark the course and expect you to remember the 20+ turns we only gave you verbally pre-race, the HM is really 12.94 miles, etc).

Resident Historian

I like a broad variety of races.

For marathons, I've repeated Boston (5 times) and Missoula and Chicago (twice each); the rest were one-offs.

I'm now 73, and marathon training is getting really difficult, but I'd like to finish my marathoning at Valencia, Spain (my first). But if I BQ there... ok, I'd take another shot at Boston!

I'll repeat some favorite shorter races, mostly local to where I live or lived in the past, when possible -- Dexter-Ann Arbor Half, Gasparilla 15k, Carlsbad 5000, Missoula Half. But like Zebano, I love to find a race when on vacation  --different states, provinces, or countries. On international trips, I've raced in Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland, and several European countries. Sometimes toose remind be to be ready to adjust to conditiond, but always great experiences.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

For me you can’t beat the buzz of running a new destination marathon and exploring the city before and after the race. However, if you’re looking to PR then knowing the course will give you that extra advantage for sure. I’ve run 23 different marathons out of 42, but have run my local and London multiple times.  For shorter distance races I’m much less adventurous and don’t think I’ve travelled more than 40 miles for a half and will enter whatever race is the most suitable date for my training schedule.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I see advantages in both.  I like running half marathons and have been spending the past few years trying to run all the ones offered in NJ (so many happen in the 8 weeks from mid-September to mid-October that it's a multi-year project).  Running a new course always offers some added excitement from the unknown.  On the other hand, running the same course gives me perspective on how my running has changed and gives me a chance to put my course experience to use.  The ones I've re-run are those I like (and aren't too far from home).

As to shorter races, there's a whole different kind of adventure on offer, as Half Crazy K 2.0 mentioned.  I signed up for a 5k last summer that had a certified course posted.  Then they went and ran a different course that was about 4.5k long (and after the finish told runners to do another loop in the park to get a full 5k).  So even when trying to be careful about picking a race, who knows what will happen.

So, in the end, I say go for a mix.  Always try some new races - you never know when you'll find one you love - and take some time to appreciate your favorites by running them every year (or every few years).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I like a broad variety of races.

For marathons, I've repeated Boston (5 times) and Missoula and Chicago (twice each); the rest were one-offs.

I'm now 73, and marathon training is getting really difficult, but I'd like to finish my marathoning at Valencia, Spain (my first). But if I BQ there... ok, I'd take another shot at Boston!

I'll repeat some favorite shorter races, mostly local to where I live or lived in the past, when possible -- Dexter-Ann Arbor Half, Gasparilla 15k, Carlsbad 5000, Missoula Half. But like Zebano, I love to find a race when on vacation  --different states, provinces, or countries. On international trips, I've raced in Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland, and several European countries. Sometimes toose remind be to be ready to adjust to conditiond, but always great experiences.

hope to see you there June 5th! Great race

Mr MattM

For me, it depends on the motivation.

Some races I've repeated because it's fun and usually there would be a group of friends that would meet up for the event.  I'm thinking marathons like Vegas, Run For The Ranch, Little Rock, etc...

Some races were simply because they were on the calendar and I wanted to meet a goal.  I wanted to run back to back marathons on back to back weekends, so I found 4 marathons to run (Traverse City, Madison, Seattle, Friday Harbor Island).  When I wanted to run 6 marathons in 9 days it was Pocatello ID, Albuquerque NM, Colorado Springs CO, Olathe KS, Winona Lake IN, and St Louis MO.

Some I ran just for their uniqueness.  Grandfather Mountain comes to mind.  Some just for the challenge!  El Scorcho 50k in Fort Worth in July... Blister In The Sun in Cookeville, TN in August... The Flying Monkey in Nashville...

Lots of things at play as far as what to run.  But when it comes to RACING, there are benefits to a well-known course and fairly reliable weather conditions.  Chicago is my marathon PR course and not coincidentally, the marathon I have ran the most.

be curious; not judgmental

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Definitely need to get out of my routine and try some new races.  Just signed up for one in GA. that I've heard good things about.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I don't do many new races because I'm not a big traveller. At this point in my life I have too many other things going on. My local run community has been expanding the last couple of years so there's been new races to run. I've tried a ruck race, running with a weighted pack. Ran some new distances. I'm trying an ultra next month. But new halfs, I'm a bit limited until I'm ready to travel again.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.