Lydiard video (Read 988 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/on-the-run-1979

Props to PaulyGram who first posted this link.

Hey Nobby - what's your take on Jack Fosters hill work (about 18:45 into the video).  Wink

Slow-smooth-fast

Cheers for the link. Great videos on there.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Saw that vid when Jeff posted it on his blog.  Just wonderful stuff.  Though, running the shale-pit looked like an out-take from a Warren Miller movie.

Now I'm off to hose down my legs.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, gotta set up a field trip for my running club.  The scenery there will definitely inspire to a degree that the local scenery is not.

kcam

'Like' the f out of that!  Thanks for the link.

DanMoriarity

Great link! Thanks for posting. I love Jack Foster's attitude towards running.

Good stuff.  That descent at the end is absolutely ridiculous... I don't think I'd be doing that without body armor, let alone shirtless with shorts.  

And I'm pretty sure the run through the geothermal area (Rotorua, perhaps?) is just for effect.  You'd have to really dig the smell of rotten eggs.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

BeeRunB

One of the best films on running I've seen. Beautiful images. Young Arthur. Great ending.

Thanks for posting. Cool

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/on-the-run-1979

Props to PaulyGram who first posted this link.

Hey Nobby - what's your take on Jack Fosters hill work (about 18:45 into the video).  Wink

Our Running-Wizard was the official training program for 2012 Bloomsday.  That meant a lot to me personally.  I got Arthur Lydiard's home address there (from Joe Henderson) for the first time.  And I became a friend with the Olympian for the first time (Don Kardong) and I recently reminded him that I saw "On The Run" for the first time at Bloomsday in 1981.  He vaguely remembered.  It's a very well-done and a fun video.  In regards to Jack Foster's downhill running; I would not recommend it to anybody!! ;o)  Well, not for "running".  But, hey, it seems like a lot of fun, ain't it?  I climbed up Mt. Fuji back in 1979.  You start heading up at 5PM and basically walk all through the night.  There's a small hut and you take a couple of hours "nap" there and start heading back up again at like 3AM.  You get up the top before sunrise--and you get to see the sunrise at the top of Mt. Fuji!!  It's a really cool experience.  But on the way back, you basically come straight down and it takes like a few hours!!  When I saw Foster flying down, that reminded me of that.  Great piece.

King of PhotoShop

I can't thank you enough for posting that video here.  I am a huge Lydiard fan, met him for the first time just a few days before he died, here in Dallas.  Very inspring.  Spareribs

I can't thank you enough for posting that video here.  I am a huge Lydiard fan, met him for the first time just a few days before he died, here in Dallas.  Very inspring.  Spareribs

That's the one Greg McMillan and Robert Vaughan organized.  Would you care to maybe send me a picture (if you took one with the Old Man) and/or share the story?  Would love to include at Lydiard Foundation website.  Send me a PM if you don't mind.  Thanks!

ultramarathon/triathlete

That scene at the end, when he's flying down that hill.  That's how running makes me feel. 

Thanks for sharing the link! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That scene at the end, when he's flying down that hill.  That's how running makes me feel. 

Thanks for sharing the link! 

We used to run down the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado like that.  Or roll down.  Safer than what he was doing, I'd say.