10K Race Question (Read 105 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I am a fan of Mizuno Wave Riders, I feel like they are better on pavement than on the track. The 1st two 1 mile TT I did were about 2 weeks apart. I was faster on pavement vs the track.

The problem with road miles is the difficulty in finding a certified mile course.  Based on Garmin readings, a road mile is often 6-8 seconds faster than a track mile because it's been measured short.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

The problem with road miles is the difficulty in finding a certified mile course.  Based on Garmin readings, a road mile is often 6-8 seconds faster than a track mile because it's been measured short.

There is actually a certified course around Ft McHenry. Unfortunately, that racec hasas gone virtual for the year.

Lane

You're better off trusting the measured course.  GPS readings typically have a bias because of positional error.  This is why most watches read 13.3 miles at the end of a half marathon.

BobScott

Thanks all for the dialog and thoughts. I decided it made more sense to run on the road because since I needed to send a screen shot of the run being 6.20 miles, I figured if I was "off" on the track with my watch (Meaning I know I had run a true 10K but my watch is telling me I'm .15 miles short and so I have to keep running) it wouldn't qualify for their records despite me being certain it was indeed that distance (if that makes sense).

Either way, I ran decently overall, but my last mile was crap which has not happened to me yet in racing. I went out too fast for the first time (a 6:27 first mile) and paid for it with a 6:50 last mile. I finished at 41:00 on the nose, good for a 6:35 pace. Not awful considering it was 81 with 90% humidity and a 14 mph wind though. I think the virtual race/not racing against others certainly cost me a few seconds. I tried to push myself about as hard as I could go but if it was a true race I think I'd have found a few more seconds for sure.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks all for the dialog and thoughts. I decided it made more sense to run on the road because since I needed to send a screen shot of the run being 6.20 miles, I figured if I was "off" on the track with my watch (Meaning I know I had run a true 10K but my watch is telling me I'm .15 miles short and so I have to keep running) it wouldn't qualify for their records despite me being certain it was indeed that distance (if that makes sense).

You could always include a screen shot of the map showing it was run on a track.  And to be more precise, rounding up to the next 1/100th of a mile, 10K would be 6.22 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.