What can you tell me about the Harrisburg Marathon? (Read 353 times)

The voice of mile 18

my sis was training for the philly marathon and it sold out before she could sign up Cry so as a plan B she's looking Harrisburg marathon on 11/9 - anyone do this in the past or planning on going this year? She's wicked fast and is hoping to BQ again

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I have not, but have you looked at marathonguide.com?

A Saucy Wench

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I did it last year and came within 90 seconds of a PR. And that was running it hung over. As with any course, if the weather cooperates, it's a much better race. I say that because 2006 had HORRIBLE weather, but 2007 had wonderful weather. Ok, sorry, I guess that isn't much help. Lots of little loops (you'll pass the start/finish area a few times) and one big loop. Flattish course except for a few roly poly miles through a wooded park somewhere in the late teens. Very well organized. Lots of food at the end, including a mess o' donuts. TONS of parking on city island at the start/finish. Much easier logisitics than I was expecting. Here is my race report from last year.

And I'm doing it again. Smile Here's the thing: it's a small, fast race. If you're looking for a crowd to scream at you the whole way, that's a problem, though there's at least a trickle of fans for 65% of the course. The marathon expo is tiny, and the giveaways are comparable to a generous 5k. On the plus size, this is one of the few marathons where you can park within 100 yards of the start, which is also the finish. And aside from some tiny rolling hills through a park, it's pancake flat. In the end, I'm doing it again because I don't like having to think about logistics and it really doesn't come any easier on a certified course that's flat and easy. I missed a BQ there last year by 3 minutes and plan to get it this year. And for THAT, I think it's close to perfect.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.