OWIE! -- Shoe Rotation Issue/Questions (Read 800 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A while back we had a discussion re: rotating shoes, whether it be several pairs of the same model or 2 or more different models. At the time Winter weather was just starting to become a threat, so I took the advice to add a second pair so that I would always have a dry pair if I were to run 2 consecutive days. At the time I decided to buy a different model. From my very first run in that shoe (NB 767) I was in love (went over 9 happy miles on my first run in them, against my better judgement). They felt different than my 1222s, but equally wonderful. Because I purchased the "all weather" model and our weather almost immediately went to hell, I have ended up wearing them for every run for about the past month, since they keep my feet a lot warmer and drier than the 1222s do in inclement weather. For the past couple of days the roads have been a lot cleaner and it's not as cold, so this AM I decided to go back to my 1222s and start truly rotating my shoes. First mile was wonderful...they are a heavier, but more cushioned shoe than my 767s and I liked the different feel. But by mile 2 I was starting to feel some significant pain, particularly in my inside shins and calves. It worsened with every step, so I headed home--my run cut to less than 4 miles, when I had intended to do ~5.5. What gives? I ran a blissful half-marathon in my first pair of 1222s, so it was a no-brainer when I bought the second pair. Could a month of running in a shoe with less stability (the 1222 is for moderate - severe overpronators and the 767 is for mild - moderate) and on loose, snowy terrain have changed my gait and muscle strength in my lower legs in such a way where I no longer need as much stability? Or could it be something else? I still would like to rotate between 2 pair of shoes (particularly since we are approaching the wet, sloppy season here in MI and I am preparing to start ramping up my miles and days/week run), but now I am wondering if I should just stick with the shoe that is currently working for me and not look for a different model. Help...? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Could a month of running in a shoe with less stability (the 1222 is for moderate - severe overpronators and the 767 is for mild - moderate) and on loose, snowy terrain have changed my gait and muscle strength in my lower legs in such a way where I no longer need as much stability? Or could it be something else?
      My guess would be yes and yes. I think rotating shoes is a bit overrated. Its good to have 2 pair so you don't ever have to run in wet shoes, but different models is not necessary. Whenever I try to rotate different models, I wind up liking one pair a whole lot more than the other and so I tend to favor it. Like right now--I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Precisions and a pair of ASICS Landreths in active rotation. Even though the Mizunos are older, the ASICS have nearly twice as many miles just because I like the way they feel better. I'm at the point where I'm just trying to get enough miles on the Mizunos so I can feel okay about chucking them. In the past, when I've found a shoe I really lie, I have bought two pairs of them and rotated between them. The next time I find a shoe I really like, I'll do the same.

Runners run

Scout7

It could be adjusting to the "new" shoe. After wearing something different for a period of time, it may take some time to adjust back. Might also have to do with lacing. I know I've gotten pain in the front of my shin if I have laced my shoes too tight (not sure why, but hey). Of course, it could be something else, too. If it happens again, with the same routine, then I would say it's the shoes. Otherwise, it could've just been an off day, too.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It could be adjusting to the "new" shoe. After wearing something different for a period of time, it may take some time to adjust back. Might also have to do with lacing. I know I've gotten pain in the front of my shin if I have laced my shoes too tight (not sure why, but hey). Of course, it could be something else, too. If it happens again, with the same routine, then I would say it's the shoes. Otherwise, it could've just been an off day, too.
          I wondered if it were just from "new" shoe, but I don't think I had a single painful run (aside from adapting to running on deep, loose snow) in my 767s. I'm none too eager to wear my 1222s for another run if it means hobbling back home in pain and wasting a perfectly good day recovering--especially when I have my pain-free model of shoe sitting by the front door. Right now selling them on eBay (they only have about 100 miles on them and are still very clean, so I would think I could recoup a little) is looking very appealing. I'm thinking maybe rotating between different models is good for some, not so good for others...YMMV. Kind of an "if it's not broke, don't fix it" sort of thing. Though it still seems so crazy to me that a month of running in a different shoe seems to have "ruined" me for a shoe that was previously working pretty well for me. Has me wondering if I would be having problems now if I hadn't switched shoes. On my feet the shoes don't feel all that different and I am careful to not lace too tight or too loose, but the feel while running is quite different. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...and another thing occurred to me.... If my 1222s worked well for me *before* all this snow running, is it likely that after a few weeks or months of not running on snow that they might not cause me as many problems? I'm thinking that maybe I should hang onto them--or is it likely that increasing my miles and continuing to weight train will probably make it so my stability needs are going to be less than they were when I was a newer runner and had weaker leg muscles? k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

K, I am not one who generally rotates shoes on a regular basis. That being said, I have trail/bad weather shoes I wear for those specific purposes. I also have my racers. Generally, I have never had a problem once those shoes are broken in. Not wearing a pair for a while may have made them stiff again, so they may need broken in a little. Again, just a thought.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

connecting to a similar discussion for clarity... I'm still trying to decide if it's worth trying a different model altogether for rotation, giving my 1222s another chance (though I'm pretty loathe to risk another painful run, at the moment), or sucking it up and just buying a second pair of the 767s, seeing as how my current pair is probably at least a third of the way through it's life (given my past shoe mileage history). Oh, well, at least this likely rules out any 1222s for the future--not a bad thing, since they are godawful $$. k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I rotate my shoes, but my experience has kind of been like Mike's - I always end up prefering one shoe, so wouldn't it make more sense to just get two of those? I dunno. Right now I'm using 4 different shoes, 2 that are stability and 2 neutral, and there is definitely one I like most. But I've had no problem, and maybe it's part of what's keeping me injury free while I abuse my legs. I think this is always going to be one of those YMMV things. I'd think that in the end, if one shoe feels good, you might wanna stick with it. If it ain't broke, etc. Of course - what'd you do with the other pair? And I always have the same dilemma with this that I have at restaurants: if I always get the Asics (or, say, the tater tots), how do I know another pair wouldn't magically be better? Make me taller? Faster? Able to leap tall buildings? (And maybe the potato skins would make me really that much happier than the tater tots ...) Sticking with the tater tots is maybe the safe and smart way to go. But, man, those potato skins look good ... (I think I need a snack ...)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I rotate my shoes, but my experience has kind of been like Mike's - I always end up prefering one shoe, so wouldn't it make more sense to just get two of those? I dunno. Right now I'm using 4 different shoes, 2 that are stability and 2 neutral, and there is definitely one I like most. But I've had no problem, and maybe it's part of what's keeping me injury free while I abuse my legs. I think this is always going to be one of those YMMV things. I'd think that in the end, if one shoe feels good, you might wanna stick with it. If it ain't broke, etc. Of course - what'd you do with the other pair? And I always have the same dilemma with this that I have at restaurants: if I always get the Asics (or, say, the tater tots), how do I know another pair wouldn't magically be better? Make me taller? Faster? Able to leap tall buildings? (And maybe the potato skins would make me really that much happier than the tater tots ...) Sticking with the tater tots is maybe the safe and smart way to go. But, man, those potato skins look good ... (I think I need a snack ...)
                    Have you been readin' my mind, again? While you're in there, do you mind cleaning up a bit...filthy mess up there... Yeah, I have that same dilemma in restaurants, as well. 9 times out of 10 if I order something other than the usual I end up dismayed and wish I had stuck to my old standby. This is especially the case with my favorite beef and bean wet burrito at an awesome Mexican joint in Grand Rapids.... I'm probably going to hang-on to my 1222s. Not sure if I will really want to run in them, again, but I'm sure if I were to sell them on eBay that I wouldn't be able to get much for them (100 miles isn't much, but *I* wouldn't pay much for shoes worn even that much and molded to someone else's foot shape). I might be willing to try another run in them in a few weeks, just to see if it was a fluke that they hurt me today. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...another thing occured to me. Could all the strength training I've been doing in the past month or so also eliminate some of my stability needs? How much is pronation related to overall leg strength? Do most runners find that they pronate less the longer they have been running? k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Good question. I'm not sure, exactly, but I would think it might be a possibility. But I don't know that it would be the cause of your pain, either......
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ran 9.5 miles in my 767s...no pain whatsoever. I'm thinking I won't be going back to try my 1222s anytime soon. k

~ Sarah Kay