Timex Global Ironman - Initial Review (Read 850 times)

So I am one week into this new watch after my tragedy with the Motorola MotoACTV.  So far so good.  Out of the box I submerged it in water in the sink and let it sit there...no issues...water test - check.

Took it out on several different routes both road and trail....on two of the runs it picked up GPS immediately.  On two of the others which were actually road with clear sky, it took about 3 minutes for each one but still picked it up.  I am fine with that....GPS test - check.

The customizability of the screens is the best feature in my opinion.  You can set up to five screens with four sections each.  I changed three of the screens to run type data so i can quickly scroll through them to get things like pace, average pace, HR, altitude, split, etc...it is awesome to have all of that data on the run.  This can be done from either the watch or the computer software...functionality test - double check.

The fact that you can ONLY sync to Training Peaks sucks.  But, you also have the option to download your data to a file which RunningAhead has an import function for sooooo....thats actually really good.  So I give the data test a check but its more of a check minus.

Lastly it worked with both my Motorola ANT+ HRM strap AND my Garmin ANT+ HR strap (I ultimately chose the Garmin as I like the fit better) so I did not need to buy a new HRM strap.  Bonus.

So as of right now I am very happy with it.  Battery life is very good, I have about 10 hours on it (using GPS and just a very little HRM) and I have about 25% left.  Its big but light and I dont notice it on my wrist any more than I do my regular watch.

I will report back in a month after I am able to really abuse it at Leadville and some other races...

Five weeks in and I am almost afraid to say it but this watch has been awesome.  I have become addicted to the customizable routine screens...you can program 12 different blocks of run data and you can scroll through it as you go so you can see EVERYTHING on the run...split pace, pace average, current pace, HR, altitude, cum. time, etc....almost too much data.  It's element proof and the battery life is actually quite awesome...I am getting just over 11 hours per charge.  There are many other things it can do but I do not plan on using ghost runners or training plans but for me, its doing great.  Just an FYI.

joescott

Isn't it ENORMOUS!  Cool  I mean, that thing is HUGE.  When I first saw one in person at the Austin Marathon expo in 2011 (as opposed to just seeing pictures of it online) I almost couldn't believe it.  It's like a wearing a sun dial on your wrist that's meant for your yard next to your bird bath. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Isn't it ENORMOUS!  Cool  I mean, that thing is HUGE.  When I first saw one in person at the Austin Marathon expo in 2011 (as opposed to just seeing pictures of it online) I almost couldn't believe it.  It's like a wearing a sun dial on your wrist that's meant for your yard next to your bird bath. 

You mean like this?

#artbydmcbride

Shocked   Big grin

Runners run

joescott

Yes!  Just like that!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Why is it sideways?

I love the takin' care of business tattoo.

xhristopher

Isn't it ENORMOUS!  Cool  I mean, that thing is HUGE. 

Joe, I think you are exaggerating just a little bit. 

As proof here's an image from DC Rainmaker's Blog showing it on a runner. Looks normal now right?

eric :)

I bought one so that I can add some kind of support for it on RA.  I wrote a review on it a long time ago.  The one thing I'm impressed with is its battery life.  In watch mode (with no GPS enabled), it lasted for over a month (or two) before the battery ran out of charge.  It probably has a larger battery than Garmin GPSes.

The watch is so large that it can never fit properly.  No matter how tight I tie it, it still rotated around my wrist.  I don't understand why Timex continued to make them so large.

I bought one so that I can add some kind of support for it on RA.  I wrote a review on it a long time ago.  The one thing I'm impressed with is its battery life.  In watch mode (with no GPS enabled), it lasted for over a month (or two) before the battery ran out of charge.  It probably has a larger battery than Garmin GPSes.

The watch is so large that it can never fit properly.  No matter how tight I tie it, it still rotated around my wrist.  I don't understand why Timex continued to make them so large.

A few years ago I would have preferred the smallest watch possible. Now that I need reading glasses, I need a really large display or the whole display is just a blur. 

vinno101

I have to say I got one about 6 months ago and was a little sceptical due to all the bad reviews its recieved but 6 months down the line no complaints and I think it was the best buy and at the price its a winner all day long Smile

Sub 20 5k

!st Marathon in November

Qualify for comrades marathon 2013

Does anyone who commented on this post cycle at all??  I'm trying to find a watch with GPS that suits both cycling and running, but personal opinions and experience will probably do me more good than just doing the basic research.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated :-)