Interval Workouts (Read 865 times)

I prefer to do more of stamina building interval workouts. These are repeats of 1k to 1 mile done at slower than 5k race pace (~10k race pace). Rest is only a 200M jog (2 minutes or under) so you can't run them too fast or you'll be in trouble quickly. The old standby of 3 * 1 mile at as fast as you can handle with 4-5 minutes rest tends to wipe me out and I'm not even sure you benefit from them compared to the "slower" intervals. btw, I believe these are what internet coach/guru Tinman refers to as CV workouts.
    Me too. Although I might do an occasional set of quick 400's, about 99% has been like what you described. Tinman training has agreed with me.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Feeling the growl again

The usefulness of interval workouts in marathon training increases directly with your speed. Intervals have always been a key part of my marathon training, but my marathons have all fallen between 2:53 and 2:28. I like 8X800 with 90sec recovery, 6-8X1000 with 2min recovery, and 4-5Xmile with 3min recovery. You can see I keep a fixed relationship between recovery and interval distance. This creates a level of effort I find useful. It doesn become a bit of a "stamina" workout, as you more or less keep yourself right on the verge of anaerobic the whole time. Sometimes brutal but very very effective. These end up being right around 10k pace for 1000s and above, closer to 5k pace for 400s-800s.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That was a long ago, simpler time. When the world was black and white with few shades of gray, when I was a simple farmer boy from a desert planet and Mikey was a darkly helmeted evil Sith lord.
        You realize that this would make Mikey your daddy, and Zoomy your sister. So if you ever kiss her, don't put too much tongue into it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.