Marathon to Marathon???? any info appreciated (Read 505 times)

wbertha

Anyone heard of or run in the "Marathon to Marathon"? Am trying to find out any information that is available. It is run in June in a small town in Iowa. Apparently you start out in one small town and then run to the town of Marathon, Iowa. The website is pretty basic. I was hoping to find out a little more about the race, hills, weather, numbers of runners, or just about anything anyone would be willing to share. Thanks in advance, wbertha
    xor

I've run it twice. Flat, flat, flat. NO HILLS. Lots of straight ahead running. No sights, unless you like corn. Well organized, super-friendly people. Two things you really need to know: 1. It is HOT. Both years I did it, it was 90+ at the finish. 2. It is a point-to-point course. Most people park at the start in Storm Lake (note well, the race starts VERY early). They have a shuttle afterwards from the finish in Marathon back to Storm Lake... but if you are a 4 hour marathoner or faster, you will have to wait awhile for the shuttle. The organizer waits until after the awards ceremony for the shuttles. At least the two years that I did it. It is not a large race. Marathon, Iowa is an interesting tiny town. The community center, where you will find hot food after the race, is essentially the gym from the old high school. They tore down the school and left the gym. Let me know if you have other questions about it.

protoplasm72

I've run it twice. Flat, flat, flat. NO HILLS. Lots of straight ahead running. No sights, unless you like corn. Well organized, super-friendly people.
        Is there any marathon you haven't run twice? Shocked

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

xor

Is there any marathon you haven't run twice? Shocked
          HA.. I run the ones in the Pacific Northwest, Hawai'i, and Texas multiple times. Most of the rest, I only do once (too many other ones to discover). I managed M2M twice because June doesn't offer a lot of choices.

There is another one called Marathon 2 Marathon in Texas in October that runs from Alpine to Marathon. It's also a small race but I enjoyed it. The website is here.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

protoplasm72

HA.. I run the ones in the Pacific Northwest, Hawai'i, and Texas multiple times. Most of the rest, I only do once (too many other ones to discover). I managed M2M twice because June doesn't offer a lot of choices.
              Well don't worry, at the rate you are going I'm sure you'll be running out of new marathons and can start getting your second round done soon. Cool

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson