Knees are Tight (Read 1941 times)

xor

You also show up on friday afternoons to play your game. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

strawberry cakes providing chiropractic and masages...

All strawberry cakes do around here is make me fat.  I'd love to find some cakes that could give me a masage (sic).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

esofen

Well I don't write here to reiterate the opinions of others. Since I contradict what gets written here, I made damn sure that science, measurements, and math are its basis rather than rewriting the opinions of the "experts". Especially if those opinions don't solve the injury problem...

While we're piling on, you've got some problems with your math that have been bugging me.  I may not be a biomimeticist, but I'm pretty solid with my dimensional analysis.  i know, I know, somebody's wrong on the internet (XKCD).  It hasn't been keeping me up, though.

A while ago, you were talking about lateral drift:

"Add in your lateral drift rate, which can measure as much as 5 ft per 20 seconds running, and the elite of distance running physically travel about 32 miles in a race while amateurs such as yourself can travel 36-39 miles by the time you cross the finish line."  Linky

You don't state the race distance that you're talking about, but it's reasonable to assume that you are talking about the marathon in the above quote.  An elite athlete runs the marathon in ~7500 s.  Assuming the maximum lateral drift rate of .25 ft/s, the elite runner does an extra 1875 ft = 0.355 mi, or 26.57 <<< 32 mi.  Even a wobbly four-hour marathoner only goes an extra 0.7 mi.  All of this is probably of the same order (or less than) distance added due to imperfectly-run turns, dealing with road camber, other runners, pack racing strategy, etc.

Even if it's a 50k, you're numbers don't work out, and how often are 50Ks measured accurately, anyways? Wink

sport jester

Biomimeticist

You also show up on friday afternoons to play your game. 

What game would that be?

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

All strawberry cakes do around here is make me fat.  I'd love to find some cakes that could give me a masage (sic).

I think what I've learned from this is that I'm supposed to magically "know" (or ask plain-clothed nonparticipants) at every race near portland, including races he has specifically said he won't be near... "are you sport jester???"

A lot of random people are going to think I'm weird(er).

sport jester

Biomimeticist

While we're piling on, you've got some problems with your math that have been bugging me.  I may not be a biomimeticist, but I'm pretty solid with my dimensional analysis.  i know, I know, somebody's wrong on the internet (XKCD).  It hasn't been keeping me up, though.

A while ago, you were talking about lateral drift:

"Add in your lateral drift rate, which can measure as much as 5 ft per 20 seconds running, and the elite of distance running physically travel about 32 miles in a race while amateurs such as yourself can travel 36-39 miles by the time you cross the finish line."  Linky

You don't state the race distance that you're talking about, but it's reasonable to assume that you are talking about the marathon in the above quote.  An elite athlete runs the marathon in ~7500 s.  Assuming the maximum lateral drift rate of .25 ft/s, the elite runner does an extra 1875 ft = 0.355 mi, or 26.57 <<< 32 mi.  Even a wobbly four-hour marathoner only goes an extra 0.7 mi.  All of this is probably of the same order (or less than) distance added due to imperfectly-run turns, dealing with road camber, other runners, pack racing strategy, etc.

Even if it's a 50k, you're numbers don't work out, and how often are 50Ks measured accurately, anyways? Wink

The measurements are the accumulative distance including vertical lift of the runner, lateral sway, and forward drift. Given that humans can't walk,  run, ride a bike, or drive a car in a perfectly straight line, those measurements include the added variables that you list above to give the final measure I listed.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

JimR

hee hee hee

'forward drift'

sport jester

Biomimeticist

hee hee hee

'forward drift'

Sure

http://www.journalofvision.org/content/1/3/4

If you train athletes beyond simple distance running, visual skills are just as important as physical ones.

For basketball, soccer, tennis, volleyball, among many others, visual perception skills cue reaction times and responses

http://www.journalofvision.org/content/6/11/6

http://www.journalofvision.org/content/5/2/2

http://www.journalofvision.org/content/4/8/801.abstract?sid=745f9375-34d0-4e0b-a5c7-370b5ddb4d12

JimR

well we sure don't want to drift forward when we run, that's fer sure...

#artbydmcbride

Hey!

Runners run

JimR

xor

thread drift

I'm so tight I squeak.

JimR

thread drift

I'm so tight I squeak.

once in a race I started drifting ahead of the guy next to me.  man, I so had to stop myself, otherwise I woulda beat him. 

#artbydmcbride

The Back Seat Fart - This is a fart that occurs only in automobiles. It is identified chiefly by odor. The Back Seat Fart can usually be concealed by traffic noise as it is an eased-out fart and not very loud. But its foul odor will give it away, due to the way air moves around in a car. It is often followed by someone saying, "Who farted in the back seat?"

Runners run

once in a race I started drifting ahead of the guy next to me.  man, I so had to stop myself, otherwise I woulda beat him. 

You don't have to run the fastest to win a race...just drift ahead the straightest.