Sometimes a bee sting is not just a bee sting... (Read 308 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I refer to my collection of well aged scars and abrasions as 'the patina that life caused'.

Ooh, I like that!  I think I will start referring to my relatively new forehead wrinkles (WTF, 40, I still have zits...1 at a time, please!) as patina, as well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A good pickup line: You have interesting legs. Smile

Thanks for the warning about cellulitis or whatever it is.

Hip Redux

Holy crap!

My husband learned the hard way that he was allergic to yellow jackets (got stung, had a really bad reaction, now carries an epi-pen yada yada) - so yeah, it's really no joke.   But this takes it to a whole new level - never heard of such a thing so I'll file this in the "glad I know it now, hope to never have to use it" category in my brain.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Village people

Yikes, that doesn't look good. I am glad it is getting better.

HappyFeat

Zoomy!!! Just saw this!  WTF?? I'm glad it's getting better, but that looks frightening!

Can't believe you were going to wait and see....although I guess I can understand...since I accidentally ingested a microscopic amount of a germicidal cleaner today and decided to wait and see if I died from it rather than tell anyone. I had some adverse effects for a few hours, but I'm okay now. I just thought...what can they do anyway? the antidote is ...germs??  Oh sorry for the hijackBlush   I'm glad you're better!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy!!! Just saw this!  WTF?? I'm glad it's getting better, but that looks frightening!

Can't believe you were going to wait and see....although I guess I can understand...since I accidentally ingested a microscopic amount of a germicidal cleaner today and decided to wait and see if I died from it rather than tell anyone. I had some adverse effects for a few hours, but I'm okay now. I just thought...what can they do anyway? the antidote is ...germs??  Oh sorry for the hijackBlush   I'm glad you're better!

Ha...so how did you do that, anyhow?! Shocked

Leg is MUCH better.  I still have a big, red blotch, but it's starting to fade and is losing it's leathery feel.  It's no longer really tender or warm to the touch, either.  Phew -- antibiotics are amazing things and I shudder to think what the result would have been with no treatment.  Crazy that something as minor as a bee sting or cut could lead to potential systemic infection or death.  The downside of this is that I've seen far too many NASTY images on google of various skin disorders.  This business on my leg is nothing compared to things like MRSA and more serious cases of cellulitis.  I really wonder how people wait until they need hospitalization, which is often a week or longer on IV antibiotics with more advanced infections.  Crazy.

~ Sarah Kay

HappyFeat

Yeah, infections are not to be taken lightly, that's for sure. I'm glad you got quick treatment and are responding to the antibiotics.

My accidental "poisoning" incident today....might cure me of eating in the office. My hand was in contact with a super heavy duty antigerm/virus cleaning wipe...and I didn't wash my hands after it. A short time later I had a snack and some of the residue from the wipe must have transferred to the food because I knew the minute it hit my mouth. Although I spit it out, it irritated a small area of my mouth (still feel like I can taste it) and I had some queasiness and felt a little odd, followed by some lower GI symptoms during the afternoon. Fine now - and vowing to be more careful.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

SheCan

Holy crap!  I'm glad you didn't put off going to the doctor one more day and are healing up now.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Queen of 3rd Place

Yowie! What was the final verdict? Glad it's settling down.

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yowie! What was the final verdict? Glad it's settling down.

Cellulitis.  The NP who examined my leg looked at it, felt it over, asked about my symptoms and the length of time since the sting...how fast the red patch developed and spread and wrote a script for Septra DS (same drug my PCP has always given in the past for sinus infections).

~ Sarah Kay

Mysecondnewname

Well...does not look like cellulitis to me...

I thought the same thing, but I'm glad you are getting better, Zoomy.

Just out of curiosity, though, if you don't mind... (If you do, please feel free to ignore).

If you press down on the red blotch and let go, does the red blotch turn pale when you press and then back to red again when you let go?

When the rash looked like it did in the picture, was it more itchy than painful?  Did you ever have a fever?

Thanks!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I never really pressed on the area before having it checked out, since it hurt -- when I press now it doesn't change color.  The NP I saw did press on it, but I didn't really pay attention to what it did when she did that.  I had mild itching, but it was mostly lower, more around my ankles from edema, I think...and perhaps still reaction to the sting, itself.  It wasn't ever severely painful (granted, I didn't have much noticeable pain with shingles, either), but it felt like I was being kicked in the shin with every pedal stroke on a 68 mile ride I did just 2 days after the sting.  No fever.  How long does fever normally take to hit after onset of cellulitis?  I was at the med center about 48 hours after the abnormal redness really started to appear (3 days after the sting).

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

With a true cellulitis, the red should go away when you press, there should be skin swelling, severe skin tenderness and warmth, and you should have a fever nearly from the outset. I would also expect a blood test to be done, showing an elevation in your white blood count.

Bee venom can cause this kind of reaction, and time can heal it. If it were cellulitis, septra would not likely have much of an effect (as opposed to an abscess, for which septra may be appropriate).

So. Still not convinced Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Weird.  So why would bee venom have such a delayed reaction?  For the first 24 hours it didn't look like anything out of the ordinary, then it rapidly went red, leathery, shiny/tight skin, warm, and tender.  The NP pressed both shins to compare swelling...lots of edema on my right lower leg (shin, foot, and ankle area.  That leg is still noticeably puffy, but not as bad as it was).

I have an appt. on the 15th for full-on allergy testing, which I should have done years ago.  I'll be interested to see what is found re: bees, since I've never before had a weird reaction, though I think I've had all of 3 stings in my entire life.  The last one was only about 2 years ago, first one was when I was maybe 5.  I'm hoping to find out that I'm not allergic to shrimp, too, and that the random reactions I had to that for a while were due to some processing/chemical preservative, or something.  Man, I miss my crustaceans!

~ Sarah Kay

I'm hoping to find out that I'm not allergic to shrimp, too, and that the random reactions I had to that for a while were due to some processing/chemical preservative, or something.  Man, I miss my crustaceans!

Maybe you'll find you don't have asthma anymore either. Wink

Dave