Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

Feeling the growl again

Ok, this guilted me into it. I'll take a shot as well.

I took a shot at it today as well.  I got it....6 times in a row in fact.  Damn, I need to start training.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I liked MF's point about sharing what it actually feels like, although I wasn't sure I'd be able to remember later.

Later is now, so here's my recap, as I can recall.

First half of first lap: adrenalin carries.

Remainder of first lap and all of second: hm, this is kind of difficult, but just keep pushing it

Third lap: This hurt, but kept saying to self, "Third lap is where you make or break it"

Fourth lap: Hurt as much as third, but psychologically much easier because I know I'm almost done. Failed to kick.

MTA: No splits because I didn't take any, and my paces weren't the same as MF's anyway - but I thought I could participate by sharing the feeling of my experience.

MTA2: Third & fourth lap felt that feeling that is like nausea, but I know it isn't really going to be nausea -- it is just that pain of racing (maybe the anaerobic feeling, I wonder?).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Damn!  I wish I had known today was the day to give it a shot.  I've already put my miles in today (9) and I'm getting close to hitting Mich's weekly mileage and certainly wouldn't want to exceed it in one day.  Perhaps tomorrow I can give it the old college try at the end of a tempo run.  

This will be hard I know, but in the spirit of doing absolutely nothing to prepare or train to perform well at a specific distance, I think it is an effort on par with the spirit of this thread.

Go to a local 5k race and I bet you half the runners run 10 miles per week or less to train for that distance.

I would not say they are doing absolutely nothing to prepare for their race.

It is just they are not as obsessed as you are.

kopid905

Go to a local 5k race and I bet you half the runners run 10 miles per week or less to train for that distance.

Not absolutely nothing, but close.

sure, but those "runner" wouldn't even think about using an on-line web site to log their miles and discuss their goals.  Their goal was to finish the race, get the shirt, and have an excuse to eat a bunch of bagels afterwards. 

as you with trying to get by on a minimum of "training" for a measly 6:00 mile.

Get off my porch

timzna

Well, I just happened to have a race today. Got 18:29, so approximately sub-6 minute mile pace the whole time. I was really happy with my time, especially since my best time last year was 19:44. The year before that my best time was 20:46, so I improved even more this year than last year. I credit this to steady high mileage (~60mpw ) the past 9 months and a lot of speed work the last 3 months.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Also, eric Smile is the Ringmaster.

And we're the trained monkeys, tigers, elephants, acrobats, clowns...

Pick one.  I have felt like all of those at various times in my running.

Why is it sideways?

Well, I just happened to have a race today. Got 18:29, so approximately sub-6 minute mile pace the whole time. I was really happy with my time, especially since my best time last year was 19:44. The year before that my best time was 20:46, so I improved even more this year than last year. I credit this to steady high mileage (~60mpw ) the past 9 months and a lot of speed work the last 3 months.

Money.

kcam

Nice work!  But please go back and delete the 'bolded' comment - it's hurtful and mean to speak of this.

Shady Fellow

Shady Fellow®

Also, eric Smile is the Ringmaster.

Thank you Nader.  I stand corrected.  I meant to say that Michigan Flyer is the Puppeteer!  And you are dancing.  Know what I mean.

__

Shady Fellow®

And to think... all this never would have happened if it wasn't for Al 'Pinocchio' Gore inventing the Internet.  Thanks, Al!

Hell, I don't think I'm giving it my all at my current mileage and if I miss my goals this year, I'll know it was because I made excuses rather than getting it done. 

Yes, my wife calls me obsessed for trying to run 80 MPW, which I mostly fail at.   She only manages 50 MPW.  I wonder what she would think of some guy who is way slower than her who runs 15 MPW can't run a single 6:00 mile, not because of lack of talent but because he is spends more hours per week making excuses than running.  Well, I'll be nice and not ask. 

Maybe we all should start logging excuses per week, I'll log about 3 hours worth last week, how about you?

Hell, I don't think I'm giving it my all at my current mileage and if I miss my goals this year, I'll know it was because I made excuses rather than getting it done. 

Yes, my wife calls me obsessed for trying to run 80 MPW, which I mostly fail at.   She only manages 50 MPW.  I wonder what she would think of some guy who is way slower than her who runs 15 MPW can't run a single 6:00 mile, not because of lack of talent but because he is spends more hours per week making excuses than running.  Well, I'll be nice and not ask. 

Maybe we all should start logging excuses per week, I'll log about 3 hours worth last week, how about you?

I never said I was trying to run lots of miles.

I am just trying to break 6 minutes for a mile.

My real goal is next Spring to run 5ks once I am in shape.

I am at 429 miles for the year. Its not like I am not running at all. I just started updating my run calendar.

But I would rather post here my goal than on facebook because FB people don't really understand running.

I had to post somewhere that I had a goal or else I would not be beholden to others to try and break that goal.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'll be interested if there are any responses to your track mile time trial report, or to mine (both up above in this thread).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lap splits

1:37

1:38

1:35

1:31

0:02

Did you warm up? And if so, how did you warm up? Did you do striders or something?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if you can bring down that first 800 by improving your warm up.