Back in the market for a camera (Read 2453 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Canon S90?

"a market for compacts packed with advanced features in a compact body"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, dpreview has loads of cameras without reviews.  Makes me wonder about the website's name. dpreview.

I think because they tend to do very exhaustive professional reviews...at least on the higher-end/prosumer cameras they do.  Not sure if that's the case with all point-n-shoots.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Canon S90?

"a market for compacts packed with advanced features in a compact body"

Ooh, looks nice...though I'm not sure I would consider that ultracompact.  Still pretty small looking, though.  RAW?  Nice.  That was one feature my point-n-shoot doesn't have that I would have liked, but the next step up would have been a G-series and it just wasn't worth the price point for RAW.  High-quality JPG is still pretty darned nice and my camera is a good deal smaller than the current G body, anyhow.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It seems to have a mode where it records both RAW and jpg.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It seems to have a mode where it records both RAW and jpg.

Very nice.  The Canon DSLRs do that, too.  Though I've never bothered extracting the jpgs, since I just go right to RAW for anything I want to keep/print.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One review:

"For now though, if you want the world's smallest and lightest shirt-pocket-sized (SPS) camera that shoots raw and comes in at under $500, the Canon Powershot S90 is the one to get."

Looks like via Amazon, Beach Camera has a deal where you get a bundle of extras for the lwoest internet price for the camera alone.  I have had excellent luck with Beach in the past.  Now I gotta scrounge the cash.  Maybe I can get me a donate button... Wink

Z2, what do you use for extracting RAW?

I use the Canon SD980 IS for running.  It's super tiny and shoots great photos.    Has a very wide wide angle (24mm) and shoots HD video too.  Overall, I'm very impressed.  Upgraded from the SD800 IS after I broke it.

If you install the CHDK you can also shoot RAW, among many other cool things. 

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

- Chris

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What do you think of the touch screen on the 980?

Lazy idiot

Tick tock

ymmv

I live on dpreview and have already looked long for info there (and on cnet and elsewhere). The problem is that there are just too many choices, too much data. And there are in there loads of cameras that are no longer available. The reason I asked here is to see if people have specific recs to supplement or guide that research.

just the other day, someone was asking about marathon training programs on dpreview, because they said there was just too much information about it on runningahead.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

just the other day, someone was asking about marathon training programs on dpreview, because they said there was just too much information about it on runningahead.com

Yeah, I saw that.

It wasn't a positive or negative influence on my decision to purchase.  It works as advertised... I just don't use it terribly often (you can also use the standard nav buttons as in all the previous versions of the SDs).  I probably should mess around with it more, because you can do some cool things like touch where you want the focus to be, touch shutter in vertical mode, etc. 

Also haven't used it that much.  Coming from a much older IS model, I am trained to use the buttons to navigate the menus.  The advantages with this camera for me are:

1.    small size

2.    largish screen

3.    5x zoom and WIDE angle

Really not concerned with RAW (yet).

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Z2, what do you use for extracting RAW?

Photoshop...I've never tried anything else.  Back when I got my first DSLR Photoshop was one of only a couple of RAW conversion programs.  Now there are lots more.  I'm guessing they're all pretty good.  Photoshop is my go-to, since all other photo manipulation I do is with PS, anyhow.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

RAW

I just don't understand why they have to shout about the format.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.