Running in Central Park - Question (Read 1025 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I'm going to NYC for the weekend and I've never been there, so I'm pretty excited. While I'm there I'm planning on getting in a run through/around Central Park. The hotel I'm staying at is just a few blocks from there, and me and a friend are bringing our gear. I'm curious about the different routes through the park...what's a good 5-6 mile run? I'd be coming into the park from the SW corner near Trump Plaza. How safe is the park? I imagine we'll be running it during the daytime, prolly Thursday around 7-8ish. I don't know anything about NYC, other than hating the Yankees that is, so any advice about the city would be welcome as well... Big grin Pick 'em up. Put 'em down. Repeat.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I don't know anything about NYC, other than hating the Yankees that is, so any advice about the city would be welcome as well... Big grin
      For starters, don't say you hate the Yankees while you're there. I heard some tourist was quartered, and his limbs hung from the bridges and tunnels leading into New York for voicing his feelings towards that team.
      seeEricaRun

Awesome

The big loop around the park is 6M almost exactly. If you take the transverse at 102nd st (I believe it's closer to 100th on the west side) instead of continuing up north, that's a 5M loop. If you look at www.nyrr.org and look for a 5 or 6M race course (nearly all the races are in Central Park), you'll find a nice map for yourself, but it's really pretty obvious and you can ask almost anyone. And for reference, the lower loop is 3M and the middle loop is 4M. Also, the etiquette is to run counter-clockwise and keep to the left-hand recreational lane so that you don't get hit by a biker. In some parts, you can bounce off onto the bridal path for a while. It's packed dirt and easier on the knees. You can get a map at any of the tourist stands, possibly your hotel or definitely from the Central Park Medical Unit ambulances - they cruise around the park all weekend and don't mind being pulled over for maps or directions (or for folks being hit by bikes). They carry a TON of maps for exactly that reason.
        mikeymike

I stayed near where you're staying, last time I was there and ran a 6-ish mile loop. Here you go, yo.

Runners run

btb1490

One of my favorite things to do there is head down to the South Street Seaport area. While there, you can visit the WTC memorial site. Or you can go see "The Bodies" exhibition, which is really cool, especially as seen from a runner's perspective. http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/ Have a great run and a great time!
              Another nice run if you are in the south area is to run over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K

Think Whirled Peas

For starters, don't say you hate the Yankees while you're there. I heard some tourist was quartered, and his limbs hung from the bridges and tunnels leading into New York for voicing his feelings towards that team.
                WHAT?!?!?! People in NY actually root FOR THE YANKEES?!?!?! Big grin Maybe I should just stay home! Tongue Someone asked me if I planned on wearing any Tiger apparel when I went to the game and I will be...though methinks the facepainting and foam finger will be staying home...Honestly, I'll be a little dissapointed if I don't get a little ribbing for being a Tigers fan while we're there, I just don't want to get into any confrontations w/people. I love baseball but I love my own teeth much more!

Think Whirled Peas

Also, the etiquette is to run counter-clockwise and keep to the left-hand recreational lane so that you don't get hit by a biker. In some parts, you can bounce off onto the bridal path for a while. It's packed dirt and easier on the knees. You can get a map at any of the tourist stands, possibly your hotel or definitely from the Central Park Medical Unit ambulances - they cruise around the park all weekend and don't mind being pulled over for maps or directions (or for folks being hit by bikes). They carry a TON of maps for exactly that reason.
                  Thanks for the information Erica! I wouldn't have known about staying the rec lane and prolly woulda been one of those "damn tourists" getting in everyone's way!

Think Whirled Peas

I stayed near where you're staying, last time I was there and ran a 6-ish mile loop. Here you go, yo.
                    Thanks for the route!!! Much obliged!

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Another nice run if you are in the south area is to run over the Brooklyn Bridge.
                      I'll second that. I LOVE running over the Brooklyn Bridge - you can loop around and take the Manhattan bridge back, which isn't bad either. Another nice run is down the west side on the Hudson River Park. You can run from the southern tip of Manhattan all the way into, er, someplace in upstate New York, if you wanted to. It's nice and flat.