Smoking Pot and Running? (Read 568 times)

Don Patrol

You'll be stuck at the 1st aid station eating cookies for an hour.

Marathon Maniac since 3/2016. Marathon PR: 3:29:25 - Richmond 2015.  Back to Boston in 2019!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

9 pages of fun in the previous Stoned runners topic...

C'mon, that's totally photoshopped.  Scouring powder does not fly through space, at least not in its retail packaging.

jules2

I've tried smoking pot and running but the smoke gets in my eyes

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

EpicErin

Epic Runner

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Do Epic Runs

http://www.doepicruns.com/

I've tried smoking pot and running but the smoke gets in my eyes

I saw another participant smoking a cigarette whilst running in the Edinburgh Marathon a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps the oddest thing I've seen during a race...

leonasmith1977

Addicted to Running

If it gets you running, I say stick with it until it starts to hold you back.

The reason why it "helps" you is probably related to the addictive nature of it.  Not saying it's chemically addictive like cigs, but mentally pleasurable which reinforces repeat behavior.  

I totally agree with this. Oftentimes it's pleasure signals that reinforces the behavior until it becomes a habit.

If smoking weed works for you and it motivates you to run more, well and good. No judgement Smile

Not judging, but I don't really understand the point of the post. It is clear you enjoy pot and running. When people suggest you give it up you get very defensive. So I think the purpose of your posting is to validate that smoking won't effect your running.If that is the case just keep doing what you are doing because your mind is already made up.

The truth is nobody actually knows. There are some obvious reasons to think it would hurt your running. But of course it could be doing something mentally that is helping you that we don't know about. My suggestion would be this. You already have had a sample of running while stoned. Why not give up smoking for three months and train the same way you have while smoking. Then run a race. See the effect the break has had. If a three month break is too long for you to handle then maybe you should think about whether or not you have a problem. The way I see it worst case, your running times don't improve and you go right back to smoking. You probably save a little cash during that time and your tolerance goes down so you can get higher on less and enjoy it more.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

I am 21 years old and I have been smoking marijuana daily for 6 years and on a regular basis for the 4 years before that. Before August of 2012 I had never ran more than 2 miles in my life but a co-worker of mine really wanted me to run a 10k with her, which was the next month, so I started training for the 10k and found that i actually enjoyed running more than i expected i would, my training went well and finished in 55 minutes(have since finished one in 47min). In December I ran my first half-marathon and finished in 2hrs 8min. And on Mar. 30 of this year I ran my first full marathon in 4hrs and 45min. I have ran at MOST 5 times while NOT stoned, and did not like the results. After running for only 8 months and being able to finish a marathon in a somewhat decent time leads me to believe that smoking pot helps me with running! It sounds crazy but hey, who knows. Now I am training for a 60k that is in 2 months. So what do yall think of this? Any comments? Arguments? Questions?

Other Info:

Weight:: 140

Height: 5' 11"

Ethnicity: White

Diet: Vegetarian; Rice, Vegetables, Eggs, Fruit, Cereal, Pizza, Cheese, Milk, BUTTER, Bagels, PB&J, protein bars/powder. I try to drink a gallon of h2o a day.

Alcohol use: 1-2 times a month

Marijuana use: 7+ grams a week, through bong.

Other drug use: LSD and psilocybin mushrooms once a month or so.

Also, there is no way I could run far distances without the help of God, He literally gets me through it every time!

i am not usually well received, however i admire this post...and feel life's to short to take the advise of anyone who argues good points. if you're happy and your happy with what results from your daily activities, you're way ahead of 95% of the people on this planet.

i'm no expert when it comes to bowls of salads but i hear your body builds a tolerance if routinely consumed and will bonk out if denied. so...if you want to improve your running you'll have to stick with daily salads or make a substitution of sorts.

bottom lie is do what works and not what doesn't.

ur not a troll r u?

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Menace to Sobriety

I was going to reply to this a couple months ago, but got distracted and just forgot.  What's the the topic again?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Iss nice!