ex or current army guys... (Read 559 times)

So for PT I am supposed to plan something that has to do with running, but higher up wants me to come up with something other than the normal 4 ml route we do every week. All I can think of is sprints on the track and hill workouts. Just wondering if you did anything different or more interesting for pt? Any suggestion what I could do? Thanks!
      One thing we did often was a fartlek workout in small (squad or section level) formation. Line up the guys, take off at a steady formation run (easy) pace. We usually tried to spread out so that the length of the line was anywhere from 50 to 100 meters, depending on the number of guys and length of the run. The PT master or section leader would carry a whistle. When the whistle blows, the last guy in line sprints to the front of the line. Then the whistle is blown, again. Repeat until everyone feels live vomiting. This can obviously be varied so that you have a longer formation and it becomes more of an interval pace than sprint to the front. We had a master fitness trainer in the platoon, so if he thought we were not going HARD, there was trouble. Depending on the formation, you are looking at intervals of 15-30 second sprint interval to 1:30 to 3:00 jog intervals. If it gets too intense, just pause longer between whistles, or slow the main formation pace. Varying the timing, rather than a whistle immediately when the guy hits the front of the line, alters the intervals and keeps them guessing, too. My HS track coach loved these, as wll. One idea, anyway.

"I aim to misbehave."

Dave

Indian runs (run in a line or two columns an have the guy at the back sprint to the front, repeat). Split up into 3 ability groups based on pace. A miss and out race on the track - every lap, the last place runner gets pulled out. Winner gets some prize. I've done aerobics for unit PT as well. Wheelbarrow races buddy carry races Shuttle runs (10 yards and back, then 20 and back, 30 and back, 40 and back, 50 and back) Flack Vest runs (if you could get some issued). Does it have to be the running part of PT or do you have more latitude? Back in the 80's in Germany, I used to take my (all male) platoon on motivation runs to the local German park where the locals would sunbathe in the local custom. Don't guess you should do that.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hey thanks guys, I will use some of those! Dgb, what is the miss and out one? That's the only one I haven't heard of. Well this week I have to do the running day for PT, it varies though. I think next week I get to make up something with strength exercises.
          rlemert

There's one workout I remember very well from high school track that has the added element of competition. We split up into teams, with each team having a mix of quarter-milers on up (the sprinter's didn't have the stamina for this Wink ). One person from each team would take off and run a fast quarter mile, then hand off to the next person in line, just like a regular 4x440 relay. When the last person finished, though, he'd hand off to the first person and the process would start all over. Continue until everyone on each time has run something like 6-8 laps each. Four to five people per team would be about the right amount of recovery, and the competitive nature of the event makes sure the intervals are run hard. (Our prize was the "milkshake honorary" - coach treated everyone from the winning team to a milkshake at the local Dairy Queen.
            Scout7

We used to do "lightpost drills" (ok, I used to have to do them). Call out two names, and send them on their merry ways. They have to run down two lightposts, stop, do ten pushups, and run back to the formation. If you want to be evil, turn the formation around and run away from them. This method works well for punishing jackholes who end up at the front of the formation and try to run everyone into the ground
              Scout7

Hill repeats are fun. So are making them do it all in full battle rattle. Make sure they wear their turtle shells.
                  Once when I was a company commander, I had a 3 or 4 mile race, but the platoon had to run as a platoon - in formation - (think they started 5 minutes apart) and they would run the distance as a unit, but they had to stay together.....winner was the platoon with the fastest time.......... Also - Once I had them all run individually (like on a PT test) but would count their scores like in cross country....so by platoon, we would count the highest 5 scores to win.....OR we would count each platoons 5 lowest scores...and the highest of the 5 lowest scores per platoon was the winner...... Anytime you can come up with something that pits platoon against platoon, it is usually successful......the young troops get very competitive.... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching