elliptical v. treadmill? (Read 1302 times)

Hi, all - It is finally too snowy and cold for me to run safely (5AM) here in Boston - on a consistent basis, anyway. Christmas gift from my husband this year is going to be either a treadmill or an elliptical machine...wondering what you runners would suggest? I'm new to running (6 months), and am so worried about losing my "momentum", if it happens that lousy weather keeps me from getting out there! Which machine would allow for a better workout / more closely approximate the conditioning that comes from running? TIA and happy holidays!

SMART Approach

Treadmill by far!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Treadmill definitely is more like running. Oh wait, it IS running! That said, the elliptical tends to be the piece of home fitness equipment that people actually continue to use and like. That data includes mainly non-runners, though, who were going to use their treadmill for walking or to START a running program. Treadmills usually wind up as expensive clothes hangers. Make sure you get a top-line treadmill or you won't like it. It will be expensive, but worth it if you are really going to maintain a running program on it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Definitely treadmill.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

What about a gym membership where you can use both. The treadmills are usually top of the line and if they break, they have to deal with it. Just a thought. Smile

A Saucy Wench

What about a gym membership where you can use both. The treadmills are usually top of the line and if they break, they have to deal with it. Just a thought. Smile
              This is exactly what I have always said and why I dont own a treadmill. Worked great until this week when the gym closed for bad weather. Black eye As soon as the weather clears and my budget recovers from Christmas I am buying a treadmill. I dont plan on using it often so I am going with a mid-grade one. Just cant quite figure how we are going to get it up the stairs.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Actually, I'd love a gym membership, but just don't see where I'd find the time to fit it in. I have three young kids and work full time - as it is, I have to be up at 4:40 AM to complete my run and still get to work in time...
                  as it is, I have to be up at 4:40 AM to complete my run and still get to work in time...
                  Ouch! In that case, I would recommend getting a treadmill over an elliptical. I think you get a much more realistic running workout on the treadmill because you are running. The elliptical never gets my heart rate up and my feet always get numb after about 30 minutes stuck in place. Just make sure you put the treadmill somewhere that you won't find depressing (like a boring basement) since you won't be able to face using it. Also, a good TV so you can preoccupy yourself while going nowhere. 4:40am (yikes) I still can't get my head around that. I've only been in bed less than 3 hours and you're already getting up!
                    I'm with everyone else - Treadmill......I keep saying it in here, that I hate the treadmill, but for me in Central Mass (Worcester), many times now days, my options are run on the Treadmill or sit on my Butt....so the Treadmill is there better of the two options..... Id stick with treadmilll because you are still running.........elliptical is a device many people like (not really me but they are very popular) but I still prefer running even on treadmill.......with elliptical as an occassional change of pace (like once a month at the club)... Shy

Champions are made when no one is watching

dollysmum- I have the numb feet problem, too! I guess it's something about the elliptical. I haven't used it since my return to running after my broken leg in 2007, fortunately.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth