weight lifting? (Read 1001 times)

The only true measurement of effectiveness of any form of training is race times. Nothing else really matters. I think it was either Obsessor or MikeyMike who said that recently and I agree wholeheartedly.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Prince of Fatness

It's a fact that as we age we loose muscle mass and gain fat. This is a natural by-product of lower testosterone levels (in men anyway). Sure running will keep your legs in shape, but if you want to keep your upper body looking as young as your legs, you're going to have to do some resistance training. There is no way around it.
      I'm in my mid 40's and starting lifting weights for this reason. I'm just looking for a some muscle tone in my upper body, that's all. I don't anticipate that it will impact my races times in either direction.

Not at it at all. 

xor

I'm in my mid 40's and starting lifting weights for this reason. I'm just looking for a some muscle tone in my upper body, that's all. I don't anticipate that it will impact my races times in either direction.
        Plus you'll look good naked! (theoretically. No, don't show us.)

Prince of Fatness

Plus you'll look good naked!
          You're starting to worry me.

Not at it at all. 

xor

You're starting to worry me.
            Didn't take much, did it? Is ok.

Prince of Fatness

Didn't take much, did it?
              I probably should have put one of those stupid smileys there so you knew I was joking. I really wasn't worried. But you probably knew that anyway.

Not at it at all. 

xor

I probably should have put one of those stupid smileys there so you knew I was joking. I really wasn't worried. But you probably knew that anyway.
                Nah, you didn't need the smiley. I got it. Maybe *I* needed the smiley. Meanwhile, for those wondering if they should lift weights to run like the wind...