What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

Doc, my tooth hurts

Wow, SJ's stupidity has just gone to a whole new level.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"Which is faster, the fox or the rabbit?  The Rabbit.  The fox runs for his dinner, the rabbit runs for his life." --Chinese Proverb

SJ, I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of your conversations.  If you really want the bio-mechanics of running to change in your envisioned way, it's pretty clear what you need to do.  You need to publish your research in peer-reviewed journals on bio-mechanics, preferably backed by repeatable and statistically relevant evidence of benefit.  I'll assume you are working from a credibility deficit as I don't think you have a PhD, or a higher degree in bio-mechanics or a related field.  So this will be an up-hill battle.  However, if you want to be taken seriously the path to recognition is well understood and formalized.  Getting money to do the research will involve many grant proposals, of course.  You'll need to demonstrate that you are not some mad scientist just eager to empty someone else's deep pockets.  Obviously, being independently wealthy would be a boon.

It will take some salesmanship and a lot of work.  Unfortunately, you cannot short-cut it by confronting non-believers with conjecture.

If you just want to fancy yourself as the person who one day will be recognized as the brilliant first discoverer of the new bio-mechanical reality, then I guess you can wait for someone else to do the hard work of science to prove the theory.  I guess that kind of vain goal can be achieved in the way you are currently pursuing.  Good ideas are a dime a dozen, though; the people who are remembered for changing a field are the ones who proved it scientifically, not the first person to scribble it on a napkin -- or in modern parlance, message board.

I imagine finding your theories falling on deaf ears frustrating; I hope the above suggestion helps you find a more satisfying path to your goal.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Thanks for the suggestion.... However please don't take this with any sign of disrespect.

But don't you think I'm smart enough to have come up with that answer myself if I'm smart enough to have created a more efficient way to run?

Look above you, that I'm told people here are looking to improve their running skills and run faster, yet scoff at what I write...

What you don't see are the communication I have with those here who have written me privately asking questions and how they can experiment with what I'm writing about.

That people here will spend hours in total glee of mocking me, yet won't spend five minutes experimenting with the ideas themselves...

Do you really think any peer review journal board takes a different attitude? Please don't kid yourself. Why would people who earn a living being subsidized by public funding grants publish the answers to the questions, when the money is made studying them. Obviously you've never pursued publishing in any peer review article yourself have you...

Oh, and the best part of it all to me is how people who have never done anything new or controversial in their lives deems themselves to have the answers to how I'm "supposed" to share my world. Are you writing on any brain surgery forums by chance telling surgeons how to improve their skills?

Haven't you heard the proverb that, "If you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door". Well they forgot to tell you the rest of the sentence. Yes they'll beat a path to your door, but bearing pitchforks and rope. And those that are still on the sidewalk are piling firewood under the stake, and everyone else is looking for matches...

Maybe you should read the story of Ignaz Semmelweiss. As the surgeon who discovered that washing one's hands and sterilizing surgical instruments stopped infections. He was sentenced to an insane asylum by his "peers".

As a note, writing is competitive. Everyone who posts here is in competition for validity. As long as everyone barfs the same injury inducing crap (no different than surgeons not washing their hands and tools), everyone plays nice...

However, that someone such as myself can bring a very radical perspective to improving running skill, and I'm the "idiot" of the group.

Everyone here claims to want to improve and "share" knowledge, but in reality, you and I both know the real story...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

Oh, and the best part of it all to me is how people who have never done anything new or controversial in their lives deems themselves to have the answers to how I'm "supposed" to share my world. Are you writing on any brain surgery forums by chance telling surgeons how to improve their skills?

Actually the research I did was the first follow-up work to a body of work in the lab which was truly dogma-breaking and controversial.  So I got to see first-hand what that scientist encountered when he tried to tell the world that the old dogma was incorrect.

Yes, when he submitted it to the top 2 journals in the world...and it was reviewed by peers whose career had been made by constructing the old dogma....it was rejected.  The author was indeed bitter.  However, rather than ranting at people on a message board and alienating everyone he came in contact with in the field, he did a strange thing.  He went back to the bench and continued to run experiments that produced actual, reproducible data backing up his work.  

Soon, he submitted to the next tier of journals.  Not quite as prestigious, but certainly reputable and recognized.  Several rejected, but one accepted.  A few months later we had CNN in the lab doing interviews.  The top journals that had rejected him apologized and wanted the next follow-up papers.  11 years later, whole sections of scientific conferences are now being organized around a topic that was, back then, unbelievable to many in the field.

The key to this is that, while some whose work will be invalidated by the new paradigm may resist, in the end the excitement over the data will win and the field will shift.

You whine because "nobody will take 5 minutes to try your methods", but the problem continues to be that you make outrageous claims without a shred of evidence.  Take a single 36:00 dime-a-dozen 10K runner and improve their speed like 20% (which you claim is easy to do)....post the proof...I'll personally fly to Oregon to learn your methods.

Scientists and physiologists use evidence.  Crackpots use unsupported claims and insults and claim that the reason they are not taken seriously is because nobody else is smart enough to understand them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JimR

I've seen dogs catch cats.  I've also seen dogs realize very quickly that it's a bad idea to catch a cat.  Chase=fun.  Catch=pain.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Actually the research I did was the first follow-up work to a body of work in the lab which was truly dogma-breaking and controversial.  So I got to see first-hand what that scientist encountered when he tried to tell the world that the old dogma was incorrect.

Yes, when he submitted it to the top 2 journals in the world...and it was reviewed by peers whose career had been made by constructing the old dogma....it was rejected.  The author was indeed bitter.  However, rather than ranting at people on a message board and alienating everyone he came in contact with in the field, he did a strange thing.  He went back to the bench and continued to run experiments that produced actual, reproducible data backing up his work.  

Soon, he submitted to the next tier of journals.  Not quite as prestigious, but certainly reputable and recognized.  Several rejected, but one accepted.  A few months later we had CNN in the lab doing interviews.  The top journals that had rejected him apologized and wanted the next follow-up papers.  11 years later, whole sections of scientific conferences are now being organized around a topic that was, back then, unbelievable to many in the field.

The key to this is that, while some whose work will be invalidated by the new paradigm may resist, in the end the excitement over the data will win and the field will shift.

You whine because "nobody will take 5 minutes to try your methods", but the problem continues to be that you make outrageous claims without a shred of evidence.  Take a single 36:00 dime-a-dozen 10K runner and improve their speed like 20% (which you claim is easy to do)....post the proof...I'll personally fly to Oregon to learn your methods.

Scientists and physiologists use evidence.  Crackpots use unsupported claims and insults and claim that the reason they are not taken seriously is because nobody else is smart enough to understand them.

The key thing here is that it is reproducible. I'm sure that if someone else did research and found something different SJ would claim "they were doing it wrong" or "that's not what I'm trying to do"

Also SJ's problem seems to be that he is reaching conclusions first, and THEN going back and trying to prove them right by cherry picking pieces of evidence to fit his argument and ignoring everything else.  This is similar to the whole 9/11 conspiracy theorist and the people who argue that we didn't land on the moon.  None of those people use what is traditionally thought as the scientific method. 

For anyone who is a "this american life" fan, SJ reminds me of this episode. (IT'S FREE!!!)

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/293/a-little-bit-of-knowledge

Sports jester reminds me of the guy from Act 3 almost perfectly.  Anyone who has 15 minutes needs to listen to it just because it's a good story. Although new research may prove the guy in the epidsode right in a way. 

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Hey Spaniel,

Link me the studies.... (I do enjoy learning)

Were they exercise science related? Or another Field. An important point to make in context to this.

Everything I write is reproducable in clinical studies. I reproduce them regularly and get paid for it. And to your suggestion of working with "elite" level runners, that was why I spent two years with Nike's lab testing and verifying my technique to qualify to coach Nike's sponsored athletes. That was why I met with Salazar in the first place. He had the opportunity to allow me to prove my techniques in competition with the labs vetting, but walked out of the room instead.  

Any elite level athlete already has a coach, and they're not going to simply step aside and let me prove what I teach is superior without a fight.

Like you, I've contacted the individuals in every study I cite as reference in search of corroberation, which is the path recommended to me by editors of a number of clinical journals since I'm not associated with any academic institution. However, once the authors realize that I'm building upon their work, the competitive nature steps in and they refuse further contact.

What you don't know to this story is that because of my military clients, I've been asked to write for a military training publication and I'm working on my first group of articles for them on the other side of my computer screen. 

And from the endorsements of my firefighting clients I''ve taught, I'm also traveling to Seattle on Wednesday to meet with the medical advisor to the firefighting standards training board for including my load bearing techniques since it improves a firefighters time on an oxygen bottle in a fire by 30%.

It isn't about what I teach Spaniel, that will never change. The only difference is the attitude of the individual who hears it. And the question for you stands is how competitive you really are. If you're interested in protecting your ego, then I'll look forward to your mocking. If you're truly competitive, and seeking to improve your skills as a runner from someone with a radical idea, then I'd offer you take the five minutes and try the masking tape exercise yourself.

If the science behind it makes sense to you after that, then I'll look forward to training you in person.

But that requires taking the time of trying something that humans have been doing for thousands of years already. You ask for proof? I have 20,000 year old fossil records that prove what I teach works.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

JimR

You people do realize it's a waste of time attemptng to hold a sensible conversation, or argument for that matter, with sport jester, right?

Doc, my tooth hurts

You people do realize it's a waste of time attemptng to hold a sensible conversation, or argument for that matter, with sport jester, right?

What are you talking about? There isn't an argument when sports jester is always right.Big grin

Feeling the growl again

<<blah blah still no proof or real athletes trained, always an excuse why I can't do it blah blah>>

Years and years, same dance around real proof.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I'm not arguing Smile

I'm simply sharing what athletes for thousands of years have been doing that prove another way exists.

Feeling the growl again

What are you talking about? There isn't an argument when sports jester is always right.Big grin

That would depend if you are talking from his perspective or anyone else's.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Years and years, same dance around real proof.

I've trained athletes from all levels, up to professional and NBA.

jules2

Just one question SJ, if you are so busy and so important why do you waste your valuable time with jerks like us?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I've trained athletes from all levels, up to professional and NBA.

Great. which ones? What would they say about that experience?