Running FAQs (Read 12030 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I should change my title under my avatar...Spam Cop has a nice ring to it...Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

holabirdsports

spam

This moment in history brought to you by Holabird Sports.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Weak, I usually take advantage of the discounts at H_______ _____s  (blanked so as to not benefit a spammer), but I'm not going to support an astroturfer.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

alexus

Spam...we don't need no stinkin' spam...
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...so do spammers look for the word "spam" and descend, or what...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Dogs.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

On the long run and weekly milage - Title: Help! I'm Stuck. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/9fe264250d2148668f642edb3a96ad1f/0 It includes this gem, from Mikeymike: Nothing magical happens at 20 miles. You don't suddenly switch to burning fat over carbs or any other such physiobabble. You're always burning both, and the mix depends on effort/pace, not distance. Run a lot of weekly miles at low intensities and you'll become damned efficient and using fat as a fuel source to spare your glycogen. "The Wall" is purely a function of outrunning your fitness level. If you run the first 15 miles too fast, you'll hit the wall no matter how many long runs you've done over 20 miles. And if you go out slow enough you'll never hit it even if your longest run ever was 10 miles.

But your legs might get tired.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

But your legs might get tired.

Right.. and presumably this is partly to do with running out of stored glycogen? Even at low speeds you use some .... and the amount you can store is limited. Of course you can replace some as you run by taking gels/sports drinks etc., but there's a limit to how quickly it can be absorbed (otherwise presumably we could always avoid the wall just by taking more fuel as we run).

One of the adaptions that long runs (and just lots of running) are supposed to promote is the capacity to store glycogen.

xor

And your legs might get tired.

(pr, it seems like you are trying to start a discussion where one is not really warranted.  I'm pretty sure Professor perfesser didn't make that comment to say "the thing above is wrong and I don't get it")

I thought the long runs are supposed to make us see how stupid running a marathon is, and if one hasn't learned from all that suffering, well we deserve what we get.

UGG Boots

spam
                          asdfsdaaas

spam
                            Sianof

spam
                              keeponrunning

I think this thread must break some sort of internet record for the amount of spam on it.

I shouldn't have read that Help!  I'm Stuck thread.  Now I'm wondering if my 3 18milers were enough, but according to the wise Nobby I'll be fine   (they all took me around/just over 3 hours since I'm a bit slow)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022