I Need Another Shoe (Read 186 times)

RunswithBeer

I was hoping that I could get some help from the folks here.

I am a 5'10" 175-180lb male. I run 20-25 miles per week. I am a supinator. I have found the Nike Vomero to be a great shoe for me. I love it. The problem is that I only seem to get about an average of 200 miles out of it. This is getting expensive.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend another shoe for me.

I have tried the Asics Nimbus. I hated it, that may have been because the LRS did a poor job fitting me (I don't go there any longer). I have tried the Brooks Glycerin but found that my legs fatigued quickly while running in them.

I hear great things about Mizunos but whenever I try them on, I feel as they have some kind of "arch support' on the outside of the foot. Maybe that is supposed to be there and it would help, I don't know.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your recommendations.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I supinate also, and I really love the new balance 890. I wore my 890v2's into the ground and just started using the 890v3, I've out about 50 miles on them and I love them as much as the v2.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

I find it alarming the LRS put you in the Nimbus. It's a Neutral shoe. Asics have plent of options for supinators... just  not the Nimbus

I am a 5'10" 175-180lb male. I run 20-25 miles per week. I am a supinator. I have found the Nike Vomero to be a great shoe for me. I love it. The problem is that I only seem to get about an average of 200 miles out of it. This is getting expensive.

I have tried the Asics Nimbus. I hated it, that may have been because the LRS did a poor job fitting me (I don't go there any longer). I have tried the Brooks Glycerin but found that my legs fatigued quickly while running in them.

I hear great things about Mizunos but whenever I try them on, I feel as they have some kind of "arch support' on the outside of the foot. Maybe that is supposed to be there and it would help, I don't know.

What ends their useful life?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

RunswithBeer

MJ - Thanks, I will check them out.

Tom - Every shoe I have been put in has been a neutral shoe. As far as I know that is what is recommended for a high arch supinator.

Clive - Excessive wear on the outside heel and aches and pains over and above the normal.

cmb4314

I am like, your foot opposite (flat footed overpronator) so I have no good shoe recs for you, but I wanted to poke in and say that Mizunos feel this way to me too - there is some weird stuff going on that almost makes the shoe feel like it has arch support on both sides of the foot.

I have one pair that I've run in pretty extensively though, and I found that the weird extra lump initially was fairly prominent, but would flatten out during my run and I didn't even notice it by the end.  After running in them for a while, the lump stopped even rebounding between runs.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

#artbydmcbride

New Balance 890

Runners run

Splashalot

....... I found that the weird extra lump initially was fairly prominent, but would flatten out during my run and I didn't even notice it by the end.  After running in them for a while, the lump stopped even rebounding between runs.

Ditto.  I know that feeling and it does go away when you run in them.  I've found Mizunos feel quite different to run in compared to trying them on in a shop and standing/walking.  The wave plate (to me) feel intrusive at rest but compresses and effectively disappears once you start running.

Maybe try the Enigma, or the Wave Rider if you want something lighter and sprightlier.

200 miles is nothing for a pair of Vomero.. I know a 90 mile/week guy who weighs the same as you getting 600 out of a pair.

---------

RunswithBeer

Sethh- Do you think it is inefficient stride, gait, mechanics or I just need to suck it up? The outside corner of the heel is is almost entirely gone.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I don't know that I can really help much, but have had similar quick wear out of shoes - right shoe, outside corner of heel wearing thru in 200-250 miles. No aches or pains, just nothing left on that corner of one shoe. Surprisingly for me, I accidentally purchased a pair of very light weight mild stability shoe (END OTG - no longer manufactured dang it!) at a race clearance sale because my wife liked them for knock around. Once I realized how good they felt I started running in them and found that being so light I easily changed from heavy heel landing to more mid foot landing. That caused me to migrate slowly to more minimal shoes and even barefoot running. I've got almost 400 mi on the END OTGs so far and am actually reintroducing them to my rotation. I had retired them for a bit but want to 'finish' them off before really retiring them! LOL

Good luck!

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Wing

Joggaholic

Regarding the expensive part, the vomero goes on sale every few months on Nike's website in the outlet section, and every so often there's a 15% to 20% off coupon code (check places like techbargains and slickdeals), so if you can wait around, they can be had for around $70 or cheaper. I run in vomero, pegasus, and nimbus. I don't like the nimbus as much. The pegasus feels similar to the vomero but not as cushioned. My pegasus do not seem to wear out as fast as the vomero.

RunswithBeer

Wing- Just picked up 2 pair of Vomero's last week on Clearance and 20% off from Nike. Last pair too. Last time I bought a pair of Pegs at the same time to give them a try. They are OK. I can do a few miles in them but if I was to go for a long run in them, I would be on ice for a week.

Thanks for the tips on the discount sites.