Ick, I hate 5ks... (Read 881 times)

That's good advice. I've never been one to do much of a warm-up before a race, but I think for this one I might want to run as much as a mile maybe 15-20 minutes before race start...most runs it takes me 2-3 miles just to feel ready to go...which is one reason I don't like 5ks.
    If it takes you 2-3 miles to feel ready, run a full 5K for warm up. I often run the whole course before a 5K.

De-slacking in progress

Actually, I plan on contining on following the C25k plan and once my mileage is up and over the 5K mark, I'm going to go "train" on the actually course for 3 weeks before the run to overcome my fear of the huge hills and also for the mental aspect of it. Very slow at first of course

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If it takes you 2-3 miles to feel ready, run a full 5K for warm up. I often run the whole course before a 5K.
        That's not a bad idea...then I can claim the extra miles for the week, too. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

That's not a bad idea...then I can claim the extra miles for the week, too. Evil grin
          Yes, a 5K race around 2-3 miles before and after is an awesome "quality" work out. I at time have counted it as long run on my low miles. The easy miles after also help offset the anaerobic component of the race and maintainig aerobic strength which is most important for half and marathon training. Generally not a great idea to do much 5K racing while in a marathon training plan but one early on Zoomy like you're doing is great and one along the way is fine as a time trial to help reevaluate your fitness/goals.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A Saucy Wench

I usually run 2-3 miles before a 5K also. I do 1 mile easy, then one mile with a few 20-30 step striders, then slow again until I feel good and loose and ready to run. When I notice my pace wanting to drift faster I stop.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool. Well I'm definitely going to plan on making that a 5-6 mile day, then.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay