Running or bikeing (Read 1468 times)

Ryan1266

XC Runner

Define "fitness".

It all depends on what you think... I can run, but I can't lift weights to save my life, but I still consider myself fit

1600-4:54 3200-10:32
    xor

Yes, that was sort of my point as applied to the original post.

SMART Approach

For myself, I monitor effort through heart rates.  A comfortable run on treadmill and my heart rate is 70-75% of my max HR or around 130-138. This pace is around 2 min slower than my 5K race pace.

When I hop on a bike, my comfortable pace gets my HR to 95 with 80 RPMs. Even when I crank RPMs, I can get only to 105-110. When I start cranking the resistance, I can get my HR up to 130 but I am cranking very hard and my quads are burning (an I have strong quads). Effort wise, to me, there is no comparison. On a stationary bike, I simply cannot get my HR up without pain. Outside, with the wind resistance, it does go up more but still not like running even at comfortable pace.

All your weight is supported on a bike while the bouncing and jarring of running through space provides a greater stimulus to me. It takes me 60 min of biking to equal 30 min of running from a conditioning standpoint.

With that being said, for me biking is fine for a cross training day but I personally would not substitute it for running if I wanted to get an aerobic work out, or if I had a choice for 30-40 min, running would win out and give me a better work out.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I look my best blurry!

Whatever gets us off our a#*!
            Whatever gets us off our a#*!

A cold beer in the fridge will do that sometimes. Will that make me fit? 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A cold beer in the fridge will do that sometimes. Will that make me fit? 

12oz curls?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Running is better for running fitness, biking is better for biking fitness.

Runners run

xhristopher

Running is better for running fitness, biking is better for biking fitness.

...and just when I thought they "promoted synergy" to, you know, turn into a jet and stuff.

xor

No, that's a Transformer.

Thanks for all the opinons I guess it still in up to what everybody prefers, running or biking. Like it was said

what ever it takes to get off your A$$. I will still discuss it with my sister in law tho.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

jdais

I like to run, bike, and swim. You can do intervals, speed, strength, and endurance workout for rides/runs/swims.  Cycling does take a lot of time though.  A century takes a good 4-6 hours, while a lot of runners can run a marathon in <3-4 hours.  Cycling/swimming have less injuries, easier recovery, and less wear & tear.  Running requires the least amount of equipment, cycling the most.  Swimming requires a pool or warm weather for OW swims.

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

xhristopher

Running requires the least amount of equipment, cycling the most.  Swimming requires a pool or warm weather for OW swims.

Granted start-up costs for cycling are high but, what do folks around here spend on shoes and races yearly? How about that gym with pool membership? I've spent $5-600 on just shoes and race registrations (excluding hotels, food, & gas) in the last year and I'm a relativity low mileage runner who averages barely a race per month. It cost me just $12 to sign up for this spring century. My bike shoes have thousands of miles - the bike even more.

jdais

Meant to say that running is cheapest to get started with.  I am new to running and am starting to understand the need for more than one pair of shoes.  If you love your sport, then you will most likely invest in it.  Every sport has different race fees.

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

For myself, I monitor effort through heart rates.  A comfortable run on treadmill and my heart rate is 70-75% of my max HR or around 130-138. This pace is around 2 min slower than my 5K race pace.

When I hop on a bike, my comfortable pace gets my HR to 95 with 80 RPMs. Even when I crank RPMs, I can get only to 105-110. When I start cranking the resistance, I can get my HR up to 130 but I am cranking very hard and my quads are burning (an I have strong quads). Effort wise, to me, there is no comparison. On a stationary bike, I simply cannot get my HR up without pain. Outside, with the wind resistance, it does go up more but still not like running even at comfortable pace.

All your weight is supported on a bike while the bouncing and jarring of running through space provides a greater stimulus to me. It takes me 60 min of biking to equal 30 min of running from a conditioning standpoint.

With that being said, for me biking is fine for a cross training day but I personally would not substitute it for running if I wanted to get an aerobic work out, or if I had a choice for 30-40 min, running would win out and give me a better work out.

POD on this subject, but apparently overlooked. That's how you hit the nail on the head!

*mta: On the point that running and cycling are equally beneficial to fitness if the variables of time spent and effort (HR,etc.) put forth are equivalent.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

pakman93

I do both cycling and running competively (in different times of the year). this debate is a little see saw and it more or less which sport you put your more effort into. casual cycling against running; running is harder and get a person better fitness. but cycling to train for certain events (like i do); cycling is harder. But that's because i make it harder by training harder. None the less my fitness is better during the cycling season.