Tsarnaev makes cover of Rolling Stone - are you outraged? (Read 325 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Led, you forgot to use the polling feature.

I would like to say that each respondent has individual, complex feelings about the issue that can't be reduced to a simple poll, but yeah, I forgot.

xhristopher

I would like to say that each respondent has individual, complex feelings about the issue that can't be reduced to a simple poll, but yeah, I forgot.

It's our nature to express our complex feelings, or just rant. That what we did on the thread about kids biking on the new running track thread for many pages. I think the poling feature is cool and gives the lurkers something to do.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Crap...now I need to find that CD...

What are these CD's you speak of?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

For that matter, the Manson one is also very Morrisoney.

True, but didn't everyone looked like that back then?

In all seriousness, I hate the cover -- shameless way to move copy and get attention.  I only hope the story itself is insightful and worth reading.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mysecondnewname

Finally, isn't it a bit superficial to condemn a magazine cover in advance of reading the story it is designed to solicit readers to read?  If the actual story (which no one even has read yet) turns out to be at all hagiographic or supports the alleged "rock star" treatment, then maybe the objectors have a point.  Otherwise it's just business as usual in the magazine industry.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717

Seems like (primarily) a cynical move to increase circulation. I had totally forgotten about that magazine until, well, yesterday.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hoban-Jay

If enough people don't like it and don't buy the magazine, RS will decide it wasn't a good idea and wan't do it anymore.  If however, the cover, the article and the issue intrigue people, more people will buy it and RS will continue with these tactics in the future.

In short, if the public doesn't like it, and doesn't buy it, then they'll stop doing it.

Anyone who is outraged by this, should use their rage productively...by ignoring...not buying it...

If you ignore it, it will go away!

bhearn

That's the passive way to inject feedback into the system. Much more likely to induce changes, IMO, is actions like the letter from Menino, and a huge public outcry.

Mysecondnewname

If enough people don't like it and don't buy the magazine, RS will decide it wasn't a good idea and wan't do it anymore.  If however, the cover, the article and the issue intrigue people, more people will buy it and RS will continue with these tactics in the future.

In short, if the public doesn't like it, and doesn't buy it, then they'll stop doing it.

Anyone who is outraged by this, should use their rage productively...by ignoring...not buying it...

If you ignore it, it will go away!

I think judging from the tone of the posts,  most posters on the thread are not "outraged", even though it's in the title of the thread.

Personally, I save my outrage for the crime itself, while still feeling strongly that Tsarnaev should not profit in any way from it, including any remotely positive publicity or fame.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Seems like (primarily) a cynical move to increase circulation. I had totally forgotten about that magazine until, well, yesterday.

I totally agree. This is a way for them to feel "relevant," whether that is the case or not. ..

TRUST THE PROCESS

Hoban-Jay

That's the passive way to inject feedback into the system. Much more likely to induce changes, IMO, is actions like the letter from Menino, and a huge public outcry.

The pocket book is what will make them listen.   If you don't buy (subscription or newstand) they won't make money and will discontinue such practice.  Public outcry, as suggest means you're paying attention (negative attention is still attention)...and drawing attention to their magazine is what they want, what their advertisers want.  It makes them credible.  If that's what you're looking to accomplish, then by all means...do so!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The pocket book is what will make them listen.   If you don't buy (subscription or newstand) they won't make money and will discontinue such practice.  Public outcry, as suggest means you're paying attention (negative attention is still attention)...and drawing attention to their magazine is what they want, what their advertisers want.  It makes them credible.  If that's what you're looking to accomplish, then by all means...do so!

I haven't bought a Rolling Stone, well, ever, and I so far have failed to put them out of business.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think judging from the tone of the posts,  most posters on the thread are not "outraged", even though it's in the title of the thread.

Personally, I save my outrage for the crime itself, while still feeling strongly that Tsarnaev should not profit in any way from it, including any remotely positive publicity or fame.

Yeah...not so much outraged as thoroughly disgusted and sad for friends of mine who are having a very difficult time coming to terms with what they were unwillingly made a part of, unfortunately.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Saw pictures of the cover on CNN. The 24 hour news channels are distributing the image at least as widely as Rolling Stone would -- in the name of outrage against publicizing and glamorizing this dolt.

Just goes to show the value of outrage and anger as problem-solving emotions.