Almost 41 years old, Garmin scores 193 max HR ... could it be? (Read 790 times)

This was over the course of a half marathon race today. Average was 176. Really, could that be? I mean, I know 220 - age is a ballpark, but this seems way off (Unless it works on maturity, in which case, it's off the other way Wink ) It was at mile 9, which is also about when I was wishing it was a 10 mile race. I guess I should get tested, but wondered what others' experience may be w/ the 305's HR accuracy. I turn 41 in a month, btw. And I PR'd btw, btw. And I am going to get a beer, btw, btw, btw.

If it was near the beginning of the race, I'd almost certainly think it was just a spike with the circuits going crazy (not properly conductive if you weren't sweating a lot yet, etc) - it could still be a bad reading or it just might mean you were working your ass off at that point. Were you going uphill there?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

If it was near the beginning of the race, I'd almost certainly think it was just a spike with the circuits going crazy (not properly conductive if you weren't sweating a lot yet, etc) - it could still be a bad reading or it just might mean you were working your ass off at that point. Were you going uphill there?
        No, not an uphill. Could be a spike. I'm also thinking, wouldn't it be hard to sustain a 176 average for a half? I was in the 180s for a while, too, especially the last mile+. I was sweatin' plenty, so contacts shouldn't be an issue. A very humid day.

Dave

With a 176 average and consistent readings over 180, it doesn't sound like a spike to me. I'd bet its accurate. My max is around 185 (measured) and on a 10 miler, I was up around 173-174 for much of it (93%). 180/193 = 93% Sounds reasonable to me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AnneCA

Yeah, absolutely. I'm 40, and I often get spurts in the 180s if I'm really booking, so I suspect I could get over 190. Congrats on the PR -- and enjoy those well deserved beers! (I note you said you were going to get "a beer," but I thought I'd make that plural for you)
              Yeah, absolutely. I'm 40, and I often get spurts in the 180s if I'm really booking, so I suspect I could get over 190. Congrats on the PR -- and enjoy those well deserved beers! (I note you said you were going to get "a beer," but I thought I'd make that plural for you)
              Thanks. And, it will be plural. Probably going to an Irish festival this afternoon. Gaelic Storm is playing. I shant be too bad, as I have a long run I ought to do tomorrow (then again, I am off work Monday.)

De-slacking in progress

I'm 46.. still 20# too much weight, beginner runner... my max HR is 194- have hit that mark 3 times during races. At my 10k my average rate in the 180+..up to max 194. I am still not at a level a fitness I need to be so my heart pounds when i'm running hard. My heart hasn't exploded yet, so I've learned for the short 5k and 10k race I'm doing right now in my running career, the heart rate doesn't matter that much to me. However- during my long easy runs I do try to keep my HR at a under 85% max HR. Can't wait for the day when I can run hard and my HR registers a lot lower number

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Dave

Can't wait for the day when I can run hard and my HR registers a lot lower number
                  It will still register the high numbers, you'll just be running faster Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

go Care Bear go!

Yeah, sounds like some sort of weird spike. By all accounts I should have died yesterday during my triathlon, my max HR was 215... I'm 50. My max is normally around 173-175. I laughed out loud when I saw that after the race when I reviewed my numbers. Good thing I never saw it during the race. I'd probably have drowned, crashed my bike or fallen on my butt (depending on when it showed up!)
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Based on where it happened in the race, it sounds like a spike. However, there's nothing ridiculous about 193 being possible for you. My max, in real conditions, is 195, and I'm 37 (I'm not old).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I think it sounds very possible. My dad is 51 and recently averaged 187 for a 10k, and hit 200. I don't think it's a fluke because he hits those HRs in most races and has done it with his old 201 and his new 305. Not sure if any of it is because he smoked for 30 years, or it's just genetic. I'm 30 and hit 202 a couple of times in 5ks, but since I"m in better shape, I can't hit those anymore. Or, I'm kinda wimpy now and don't push hard enough.