Goal Time for Upcoming Half Marathon (Read 791 times)

Kimmie

Hey there... Wondering if you wanted to throw your 2 cents in on what I should shoot for in my upcoming race on sunday. I ran the National Half Marathon in 1:57. My plan there was to start out easy and then speed up. So, that's what I did. My stats for that race are: Mile 1- 9:00 m 2- 9:09 M3- 9:05 M4- 9:13 (hill) M5- 8:55 M6- 9:33 (long hill here) M7-8:48 M8-8:42 M9-8:35 M10- 8:26 M11-9:33 (taking my jacket off- really slowed me down) M12- 8:17 M13-8:07 I didn't warm up, and like I said, I just wanted to go out easy. Do you think that if I warm up for this race on Sunday that I can attempt sub 1:50? It may not be realistic, but this course will be flatter than the other one. Just wondering what you all think.... as you can see... I'm not very good at maintaining even splits.

Just Be

I don't really have much in terms of advice for you, but I can say that hills make a *huge* difference. As an example, my recent 2 mile best is 11:31, which I ran way back in Feb on a flat track. I hadn't raced the 2 mile again since that point until yesterday, but that was on a hilly outdoor course, and at the same level of effort my final time was somewhere around 12:48... the official results still have yet to be posted, but the big race clock at the finish line was somewhere between 12:47 and 12:49 when I crossed. Good luck! Smile
        Judging by your fast last mile, you might have had some gas left in the tank at the end of that one. Target an 8:30 pace and then take it up a notch after a few miles. I think you can do it! Ditch the jacket...and do a 1 mile warm-up....6 minutes slow jog out, 5 minutes back with some striders thrown in.

Right on Hereford...

Good - you finished strong in your last half marathon, meaning you probably left time on the course Bad - you've forgotten to do your weekly 10 mile runs since then! (saw your log) Good - you should still have some residual fitness from your last HM Bad - your mileage is definitely on the low side Good - your next HM is flatter Bad - your jacket-taking-off abilities are awful...just awful! Wink Good - maybe it will be warmer this Sunday and you won't need a jacket I say you have an excellent chance of breaking 1:50. Take the first mile out at no faster than 8:30 and then keep cruising from there. The first 3-4 should feel kind of easy, but not totally easy, if that makes any sense. At mile 7 or 8 it may start to get harder. This is where your mental toughness is really important. Do not allow yourself to slow down! Tell yourself the discomfort is normal for anyone trying to get a new PR in the half. Good luck!
          Kimmie

You're right that my mileage has been on the low side lately. I always forget that people can look at your log here. Smile The other thing I did differently the last race was to try to run by feel instead of always looking at my watch. This time I will try to do both. Thanks for the help.
              Running negative splits is the way to run your best race but they are normally only a couple percent at most. Your last leg was a full 10% faster than your first which means you can afford to start out faster than a 9:00 min/mile pace. To make your 1:50 goal you'll need to average 8:24 min/mile. Try starting out at around 8:34 and finish up at around 8:15 min/mile, that will give you a good shot at your goal time. Tom
                I think you should just run your race and see what happens. Your last race is proof that you know how to restrain yourself, so I think you can get a little bit braver the first few miles without going overboard. As far as the 1:50 I don't think it's realistic so soon. We're talking more than 30 seconds a mile improvement in less than a month! That is huge to put it mildly. The flat course should help but I think 30 seconds a mile would be a stretch. No doubt you are capable of going a lot faster but I think you will need to bump your mileage up a whole bunch if you want to come anywhere near your potental.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                Kimmie

Oh man! That was awesome. My time: 1:51:25 I am very happy with that. I wanted to get there with enough time to warmup but because of the massive downpour, cars kept getting stuck in the mud on the way into the parking lot, so that took awhile. So, I just shot out of the gate. I won't bore you with too many details, but I did not run a negative split on this one. I tried to be fast but still conservative, but my first mile was around 8 min. I didn't slow down too much the second half but I was definitely struggling to maintain. There were a few more hills than I thought there would be. The first half is actually all uphill but it's slight- than, of course, you get the slight downhill on the way back. So, all in all, it was a fun race.... cold, hard, driving rain and all. Thanks for your help here. It just makes me want to keep trying more and more races in order to get it "right" Smile

SMART Approach

Great job Kimmie. Without rain, 1:50 would have been close. Think about extra weight in shoes and clothes from rain. Keep it going!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Hey Kimmie, I told you that 1:50 was unrealisitc Big grin Seriously--your race was huge. I just couldn't see how you were going to do it so soon after your last and on such low mileage, but you came close enough to leave no doubt that it was not unrealstic. If you can find the time to fit some more miles in you can be improving a whole lot more too. I don't think 1:50 is anywhere near your potential either, but it will be hard to realize it without running more. Nudge, nudge, nudge. Congratualtions on a nice run
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        Rock solid, Kimmie! Congratulations on a decisive PR.