Multiple USB Devices Connected (Read 1043 times)

HermosaBoy

Anyone else have an issue getting a Garmin to be recognized when other devices are connected via USB?

If I have my phone plugged into my computer to charge (via USB), my Garmin will never get recognized.  As soon as I unplug the phone, the Garmin is instantly recognized.  This has happened on multiple computers in both Chrome and IE.

Just thought I would throw it out...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Wing

Joggaholic

No idea about your specific situation but my first thought is that it *may* have something to do with devices not able to draw enough power from your usb hub (if you're using an unpowered hub) when multiple devices are connected. This is not relevant if you plugged them into individual USB ports though.

HermosaBoy

No idea about your specific situation but my first thought is that it *may* have something to do with devices not able to draw enough power from your usb hub (if you're using an unpowered hub) when multiple devices are connected. This is not relevant if you plugged them into individual USB ports though.

Both are connected to USB ports on my laptop.

Rob

I only have that issue with my FitBit. The ANT driver for FitBit conflicts with the ANT driver for Garmin.

Do you happen to have some cool Android phone with ANT?

--

Nashville, TN

HermosaBoy

I only have that issue with my FitBit. The ANT driver for FitBit conflicts with the ANT driver for Garmin.

Do you happen to have some cool Android phone with ANT?

I have an android, but all connections are being done through wired USB (no ANT agents used at all).

Rob

MrH

I've had issues with Chrome and Garmin 305 upload via USB on a particular computer. Upload failing or the device no even being recognized. Eric suggested it could be USB noise. Firefox seems immune to this though.

MTA: So nothing like your problem, really. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

HermosaBoy

I've had issues with Chrome and Garmin 305 upload via USB on a particular computer. Upload failing or the device no even being recognized. Eric suggested it could be USB noise. Firefox seems immune to this though.

MTA: So nothing like your problem, really. Smile

It's an entirely different story altogether.  Wink

Rob

eric :)

I have not heard of this problem until now.  Without access to your phone, I won't be able to reproduce the problem.  Even if I have your phone, I don't know if there's anything I can do about it because Garmin's software does all the heavy lifting.  It reports the USB devices that are connected.

Could you try something for me?  Go to the import page with the phone and GPS connected.  When the page says it can't find the GPS, click the down triangle to reveal the debug tool and send a message to me.  It'll at least show whether Garmin sees your phone and GPS.

HermosaBoy

So, as soon as I plug in the phone and then try to upload, it keep searching.

Once I unplug the phone, I get the following (note, I have a 305 connected):

Seaching for GarminNetscapePlugin

found GarminNetscapePlugin

Plugin version: 3.0.1.0

Unlocked plugin

plugin.finishFindDevices() completed

device 0 (Forerunner 405CX): firmware="210", data type="tcx"

last upload time: 2010-08-11T00:22:43Z

found device: Forerunner 405CX

While the phone is connected, it never finds the gps and basically causes RA to not be very responsive while it tries to find the GPS.  You can have the phone connected and RA will work fine UNTIL you try to get it to find the GPS.  I will try one more time and give you what the debugger says before I unplug the GPS:

Here is what it said before I unplugged the phone:

Seaching for GarminNetscapePlugin

found GarminNetscapePlugin

Plugin version: 3.0.1.0

Unlocked plugin

Rob

Maybe there is a software conflict between your garmin and your android phone connectors.  Not sure how computer savvy you are, but there are but there are some good tools on sysinternals (now owned by Microsoft) that can trace application processes and file usage.

Otherwise, have you tried your garmin with any other USB devices plugged in, e.g. a USB disk, iPod, etc.?  If your garmin driver won't work with any other USB device plugged in, there may be some kind of hardware conflict.  Maybe try reversing the order you plug in, completely shut down your computer, boot with no devices plugged in, once you are signed into Windows, connect the garmin then connect the phone.

HermosaBoy

Not extremely computer savvy when it comes to systems tools.

So, tried reversing the order of things:

Connect garmin first and then phone -- no good.

Connect phone first and then garmin -- no good.

In either case, once I disconnect the phone, all seems to work fine.

Tried connecting my Ipod to the computer via USB and had no issues what-so-ever?  Haven't tried any other devices yet...

Rob