Forrest's got nothing on Tony - running around the globe (Read 3070 times)

My running bud J wrote this up on his blog, there's a crazy Irish ultrarunner trying to run around the world.  A quick look around his site has me addicted already.

He's coming through Lowell soon, tentatively scheduled for Monday the 3rd.  Don't think I'll be able to join him, but I'm hoping.

Tony Mangan's World Jog

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Well Tony didn't make it into Lowell until Monday evening, which is good because it allowed me to join him on Tuesday.

The president of Greater Lowell drove up the highway, and hauled Tony's buggy into town in the back of his truck.  After a bit of downtime, he joined a handful of GLRR members for dinner.

He was delighted to find that Hookslide Kelly's has WIFI, and managed to get caught up on emails and blog entries while sharing some tales from the road.

On Tuesday, I met him with my friend Fil and we ran together for the first five miles.  Fil had to turn back and head for work, but my friend Jess joined us at that point for the next 7 miles.  When Jess turned back, we continued on until my Garmin showed 27 miles for the day in Hudson, MA.

It was a great run, and Tony appreciated having buggy pushers for the day.  It's a lot easier to just run, and he got the whole day off from buggy pushing.  If he happens to be passing by your town, give him a wave or a shout of encouragement or try giving the buggy a go.  I highly recommend it.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

i am so doing this! he will be traveling very close to where i live, thanks A TON DAWG!!

i see from your log you guys were cruising at 10.35 mpm, this is way faster than i had expected. im hoping to break my current distance PR of 26.2

There were a few small hills, but for the majority of the run Tony was pretty consistent with his ultra pace somewhere around 10:30 per mile.  He seemed to be slowing a bit at the end, not surprising since he was wearing a brand new pair of shoes and he's run almost 1700 miles in just over two months.

For the most part, I ran behind him with the buggy to let him set the pace.  It's his world jog, I was just tagging along for a very small part of it.  We were covering a little under six miles per hour, but you don't have to run a step if you don't want to.  You could just chat on the side of the road (the Irish flag on the buggy catches attention, we stopped to chat a couple times...), push the buggy five miles like my friend Fil did, or spend the day on the road.  I'm sure Mr Mangan's quite appreciative of any support he receives.

The Greater Lowell crew had so much fun, a couple of them might drive halfway across Massachusetts tomorrow to jump in with Tony for at least part of his day.  I know it's one of my most memorable runs, it was quite a unique experience.

E.J.

if anyone lives near the nebraska kansas border and could help this guy out for a night im sure he would greatly appreciate it since he has no place to stay tonight. here is his current location and contact information.

KvnJns

I had to bookmark that link. He really seems like a very nice guy. I am enjoying reading his blog about this journey. Cool stuff, thanks for sharing this BadDawg

Kevin

It really is amazing stuff, I would have fallen over long ago.  I think my running buddy Jason is serious when he talks about a Greater Lowell contingent running him in when he returns to Dublin, that would be really cool.

I hope he has a comfy place to lay his head on St Padraig's Day, if anyone can help him out Tony is most appreciative.

E.J.

tony is just about finished with the u.s. now after about 3679 miles and 7 months on the road. he will be taking a month long break then returning to san diego and continuing down into mexico. he has just made the decision to extend his trip by a year. theres a fresh video on his blog.

I hadn't checked in on him in a while, but when our own DoppleBock crossed the year to date 2000 mile mark* it made me think of Tony.  I ran with the guy just after New Year's, and now he's crossed the Rockies and is on the other side of the country.

I just can't imagine how tired his legs have to be, that is really amazing stuff.

* Yes, DB has already run 2000 miles this year

E.J.

I hadn't checked in on him in a while, but when our own DoppleBock crossed the year to date 2000 mile mark* it made me think of Tony.  I ran with the guy just after New Year's, and now he's crossed the Rockies and is on the other side of the country.

I just can't imagine how tired his legs have to be, that is really amazing stuff.

* Yes, DB has already run 2000 miles this year

He's not the only one:  http://www.runningahead.com/logs/fc6e3389e1de457496b17c3a04600e9a

xor

log stalkers

United States stretch complete...

E.J.

xor

Cool!