Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Do you guys feel back-to-back Q workouts are advantageous for most people? I think I've seen some people on here say they never do them.  I ask because I have a week left on Phase II of the Daniels' HM plan which (nicely) places Quality runs on Tuesday/Friday and long run Sunday.  I started putting phase III into my spreadsheet planner and noticed the entire 6 week phase places H(ard) intervals on Wednesdays and tempo runs on Thursdays.  Do you see benefit in tempo runs on non-fresh legs?  I am inclined as a relative newcomer to training plans to adjust it spread out the Q days but I wonder if there is a method to his (seeming) madness.  The tempo runs are all 1mi or 2mi repeats or steady 20 minute runs so they are not amazingly demanding but after doing 5km worth of 5k-pace the day before, I can't imagine it would be too fun.  As always, all input is welcomed. I really appreciate all your take on HR.

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
    2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Wow, this thread has been moving over the weekend!

James - Bummer about the knee and quad troubles. Hopefully those don't turn into anything.

Mark - Solid week in tough conditions. Heat and humidity just seem to drain the stength from me.

Blair - I look forward to knowing how that new easy run standard works out for you. Good job on just using the race as a workout. Lots of people have issues with not actually turning in a race effort during a race, regardless of conditions. That sure takes discipline.
      I can't comment from experience on back-to-back workouts, as mine have always had at least 1 day in between. This cycle, my first with a legitimate/formal plan I have at least two days between workouts. I have heard about doing a tempo run on the day before a LR in order to do the LR on tired legs. That, to me, makes more sense than doing regular workouts on tired legs and perhaps not being able to do that workout as intended.

JMac - Hate to hear about the foot and whatever else issues. Perhaps the imaging will help clear things up.

Watson - Nice week.

Enric - Nice week as well. I'm also liking my JD 2Q plan.

Disregard, HRM issues. Maybe I need to swap the battery or something...

My week:

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 18, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
      Mon 10.7 7:26 Daniels' 8x 3 min I, 2 min reco. More miles than degrees! 148 (76%) strava
      Tue 9.3 8:05 One owl and one rabbit. 146 (74%) strava
      Wed 6.3 8:07 Whoops. Forgot my headlamp. And about 3 miles. 141 (72%) strava
      Wed 3.7 7:57 Finding my missing miles. Running in daylight is strange. 143 (73%) strava
      Thu 6.3 8:03 1 possum, 1 flock of geese, & 6 strides 145 (74%) strava
      Thu 3.7 7:58 Soaking up the last of the shorts weather. 151 (77%) strava
      Fri 8.5 8:23 Trying out this Zwift running thing. I had the island all to myself! 140 (71%) strava
      Sat 12.1 7:29 Daniels 1E, 9M, 2E. Finally with the Landrunners again! 158 (81%) strava
        60.6 7:53

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

jaimegu

Keen: Nice week!... Re: HR:  I don't know your numbers but if that HR curve were mine, I might have it scrapped,  The first thing is I would expect peaks and recoveries with slight lag as but I only see 2 significant drops, and a couple of other recoveries were minimal. Others are not even visible.

You get 2 HR drops, one a the beginning of the first interval (probably not a good contact by then), the second accounts for a recovery of 84bpm in 7 seconds which is unheard of.

Let me show how my strides (1 min on/ 1 min off  with optical HR) look like:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1362589065

Blair: I haven't done that, either.  Back to back Q  are pretty hard.  I don't think they apply for most people... probably elites and people with high mileage... But, if that's the plan you are following, perhaps Daniel introduces them gradually

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen: Nice week!... Re: HR:  I don't know your numbers but if that HR curve were mine, I might have it scrapped,  The first thing is I would expect peaks and recoveries with slight lag as but I only see 2 significant drops, and a couple of other recoveries were minimal. Others are not even visible.

You get 2 HR drops, one a the beginning of the first interval (probably not a good contact by then), the second accounts for a recovery of 84bpm in 7 seconds which is unheard of.

Let me show how my strides (1 min on/ 1 min off  with optical HR) look like:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1362589065

First, thanks!

Second, I should explain those two drops. The first was a few seconds before starting the first interval when I paused my watch and stepped off the road for a bit to let two cars pass (one heading each way, the road I was on has no shoulder). The second, with the big drop in HR, was me stopping after the interval in question when I noticed the high HR reading. My thought was that stopping moving for a while might fix some possible issues.

I would have expected more of a HR drop after each interval given how slowly I was running between them, but maybe that was due to running in warmer conditions than I'm used to?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I don’t run with HR, but I follow a simple principle with all my running: I need to see something twice in order for me to believe it’s a trend or correct data. For me, that means proper paces for tempo or intervals. If I run a great tempo run day that’s 10 seconds faster than I usually do in the past, that doesn’t mean I’ll raise my VDOT to correspond to everything being 10 seconds faster. If I see that my next tempo is also 10 seconds faster, than I count it. Obviously the concept isn’t perfect with HR (because it only gets lower), but I don’t think you should raise it 4bps because of one workout.

Blair - I liked the back to back Q session in Daniel’s HM plan. Of course, YMMV, especially with injury history. I find it especially useful when I’m not running a lot miles (40 mpw let’s say). The reason is that if I’m caping my T runs at 10%, that means only 4 miles at T pace. I dont’ find a workout like 4x1T to be especially difficult, but if it’s the day after an I or H session, it really adds to the challenge. If you’re running his 2Q plan for the marathon though, you certainly do NOT want to do back to back Q sessions, because those Q sessions are nothing like they are for the HM plan.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Keen, Jaime, Jmac - Thanks for input!

Jmac - Yes it is the HM plan so the back-to-back Q sessions seem reasonable.  I have been running about 40mpw.  I've never implemented a full proper training plan for a race though.  For my HM last year, I started using modified Advanced Hidgon plan until I found sub90 at Runner's World and started implementing different workouts.  And although I was up to 50mpw for a while last year, 40 really is a lot for me given that this will be my 3rd year running altogether (coming up) and 2nd actually training for races... so my experience isn't there yet.  I think I may separate the two by a day because 4-5 miles of tempo work still is quite challenging for me.

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)

Marky_Mark_17

Blair - I've often included back to back quality workouts in my program.  It depends a lot on your body's ability to tolerate it, as it's not something that works for everyone.

Keen - nice week!! To me that looks like some sort of measurement error as the HR climb doesn't correspond to the pace intervals, and there's not really any major dips between the intervals after adjusting for the two stops you mentioned.  I don't know exactly what would cause it but FWIW I wouldn't trust those outputs.  At 65F, the temperature isn't hot enough to make recovery difficult even if the humidity was quite high.  I'd expect it to look something like the link that Jaime posted.  It's pretty hard to max your heart rate running 2 min intervals like that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Blair - 4-5 miles with no break is challenging for anybody. However, I was getting at something like a 4x1 mile session. If that's still challenging, then I definitely think taking a day off is a good idea.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac- yep. I did 4x1mi cruise intervals last week and had to slow down on final interval.  I think I will be staying away from back-to-back workout days for a while Smile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I just finished a 20 minute tempo run around 6:20 per mile pace. I've never been prouder to complete a tempo run at that pace in my life. It's amazing how being injured puts things in perspective.

watsonc123

JMac - that sounds really, really promising for you.

Re back to back workouts - I've never tried them.  The only situation I would consider would be if commitments during the week made me doing a Saturday tempo, and Sunday long run.  But I would do a lot to avoid that.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - yussssssssss!!!! 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

RoXX

Hi all! Let me introduce myself. My name is Marcel, 31 years old, living in The Netherlands. Father of a 3 year old daughter and 2 stepchildren, age 13 and 15.I have been playing badminton ever since I was 7. Decided to quit early 2016, after 22 years of playing. Reasons were 2 years of constant small pains/injuries and back to back degradations. From 3th division (a very respectable level) to 4th to 5th division.

Decided to give running a go, since I can not imagine a life without sports. Ofcourse I made the mistakes lots of people make when starting running. My base condition was pretty ok after all those years of badminton, but I started running too much, too fast. I did run some races in 2016 (few 5K/10K's). I didn't even run that much, but looking back to this period, I think about every time I ran, I ran a temporun. Being used to go all out at badminton training (and not get punished for that), I guess I was used to train hard and give it all every single time.

2017 started likewise. Ups and downs, injuries now and then. Low mileage.Averaged 50k/month for the first half of the year (about 31 miles/month). During summer things started to get better. July 2017 through November 2017 I averaged 100k/month. Might still not be that much seeing you guys' monthly totals, but hey, I was injury free and I was able to run more than I ever did. I also started playing badminton again after summer (friends persuaded me to start playing again). It went well. One badminton training a week and in the weekend we played competition. Had I not started badminton again I would've probably been able to up my mileage even more.

Somewhere in November I made the stupid mistake to do too much in one week and ended up having trouble with my shins. In december I only ran once. In January it was getting better and I managed to almost hit a 100k month again. End of the month I ran a 10K PR of 42:16, which was totally unexpected. After the race I had to stop for about 2 weeks, because I felt my shins again.

Badminton competition has ended (it runs from September through January), so I can put more time and effort into running until after summer. Last 2 weeks I have done a few easy runs (only twice a week), to see how my shins react. It seems like it's getting better again. Running is completely pain free, they are only a little bit sensitive the day after. Right now I'm preparing for my first half marathon on March 11. Low expectations for this one, since the mileage has been very low the past few months. Considering my 10K time of 42:16 in January I should hopefully be able to break at least 1:40, so I will start the race with a pace of 4:45 min/k, or 7:36 minute miles. Hope to sustain that through the race and speed it up a little in the second half.

Since I'm in the sub 1:30 half marathon thread, my goals will also be to break 1:30 on the half marathon, and prior to that I'd like to run a sub 40 10K. Don't know if these are realistic goals. Most importantly, I want to stay injury free and up my mileage (which means I'll be running loads of easy miles, and speed work probably only once a week). I guess getting (much) more miles in is the best way to achieve my 10K/half marathon goals.

Roxx - Welcome! I can related to the too-much-too-soon injuries.  I'm going into my 3rd year of running (2nd of semi-serious training) and I am now just truly wrapping my head around the idea of 80% of my week at an easy pace (my current goal being keeping my HR below 70% of heart rate reserve for easy pace which is proving to be challenging, in backwards sense of challenging).

On that, I ran an easy 5 miles yesterday evening.  At points it felt like I was speed walking rather than running because I was just trying to stay under that 70% threshold (my pace was 6-6:45/km throughout the run).  I'll keep with it and build that general aerobic fitness (another easy 5 miles tonight).  I can't wait until my tempo run on Friday!

Hi Marcel

I think we have 3 running dutchmen by now. I thought they all did ice skating in their spare time Smile

You are pretty fast - that 10k off a very low weekly mileage is impressive. For the half marathon I think the 4:45 is going to be tough to sustain. But I am slowly working up to your 10k pace so I am not a good reference. Good luck though with the half on March 11th.

I will finish another week of ~50k but mostly treadmill now since I am on a ski week. This is my first week of JD's Phase two but I might only get one quality workout in on the weekend.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!